That word doesn't mean what you think it means.

Options
bexxgirl
bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
Okay, my tumblr is down and my FB friends are tired of my rants, I think. So sorry, MFP folks - it's all yours!

I've put together a delightful mash-up of all the errors I found - just today... in ONE book... for your reading displeasure. (I'm an editor and I'm working on a book for a self-publishing company.)

It's pretty amazing:

"On beknown to him, as they walked hand and hand, she was filled with the upmost light heartiness and she shuttered with wicket pleasure. He peered questionably at her, waiting for her reply. 'Off course,' she retorted delightfully. He grasped for air, then extinguished a sigh as he complemented her on how eloquent she looked. He wanted to kiss her badly, but reframed from doing so."

Ergh. Just ergh. Feel my pain.

Replies

• zenJes
    zenJes Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    oh dear lord how ever does this person think they can be a writer? shouldn't they have proof read it before it gets to the editor phase???
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My kids could write better than that when they were in *elementary* school! That's just awful.
  • awilmeri
    awilmeri Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I know how to make it better...burn it. :smokin:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Is that from 50 Shades of Grey?
  • bexxgirl
    Options
    oh dear lord how ever does this person think they can be a writer? shouldn't they have proof read it before it gets to the editor phase???

I am copy-editor and proofreader all rolled into one...
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Woah. :laugh: Is that just one passage in a book full of errors like that? Can't that be sent back to the author with a note telling them to use better than 3rd grade level grammar to write it?
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Dear GOD. Make it stop!
  • Susanthecatwhisperer
    Options
    A friend of mine published a book. I bought and read a copy. No editing. Someone stroked a horse's MAIN. I told her. I hope the next book is better.
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Psh, given some of the student's I have, this is a winner.

Seriously, though, please proofread. -_-
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I never attend the "Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games" message board. However, your PB reference got me!
    Thanks for that. :bigsmile:
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I would have to quit my job if I had to read stuff like that all day.
  • stinkpurty
    Options
    To be honest, even it had been written with the correct words and grammar, it would still suck.
  • bexxgirl
    Options
    I would have to quit my job if I had to read stuff like that all day.

I quit my job TO read stuff like this all day. I'm just building up business at the moment, though, and you know what they say about beggars being choosy...
  • Toya2xcel
    Toya2xcel Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Reading that just made me cringe....
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    *twitch*

that made me cranky:angry:
  • mageepilot
    mageepilot Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I thot I mite hav ta screem :noway:
  • sariannach
    Options
    Correct it, and send the corrected copy back to the publisher, along with a bill for the red pens. ;)
  • lesliethescrivener
    Options
    I'm an English lit major so reading this actually upset me. It's even a little disheartening!
  • garnetsms
    garnetsms Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    WOW!! Just Wow!!
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    LE SIGH