why should not I eat less than 1,200 calories a day?

Options
I have been reading some comments on one of my friends, some people said that the net calorie should never be less than 1,200 calories a day. I most of the time eat less than 1,200 calories a day, and I feel ok. So my question is why shouldn't I eat less than 1,200 calories in a day? BTW my calorie goal for now is 1,400 calorie. Thanks to anyone who will answer this question.

Replies

• amolina0810
    amolina0810 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I want to know this as well. MFP has me at 1200 daily, but I rarely eat that and it goes even lower when I exercise! I've never been a heavy eater though...
  • Annaliza369
    Options
    Great question!!!! I eat well below 1200 as well!! i try to eat more, but then i feel like i am forcing myself....hope to hear some good feedback! :-)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Well, unless you are extremely short, chances are that 1200 calories is below your BMR. If you don't know your BMR, MyFitnessPal has a tool for you to calculate it under the "tools" section.

If you don't know, your BMR is the amount of calories you'd burn in 24 hours if you were in a coma - basically, the amount of calories it takes for your body to function. Knowing this, it doesn't seem like a very good idea to give your body less than that amount of calories, right?

If you do consistently give it less than that, your body's BMR will be forced to drop, so that your body can function on the new, lower amount of calories. In other words, your metabolism slows down. Then once you stop "dieting" and eat more than that new, lower number, you will gain the weight back way more easily.

Hope this helps; let me know if it's confusing. Welcome to MFP!
  • Jannelley87
    Options
    Thanks LaurenAOK --very wise advise! I have had a hard time convincing myself of the reality that eating 1200 or less calories is not good for my body. While you may lose some weight on this amount, you will eventually plateau because your body is in survival mode!
    Popular diet culture has brainwashed our society to think that the less one eats, the more weight loss. While this is true to some extent, many people end up eating too little and incur unhealthy weight loss and eventual gain. One should definitely calculate their BMR and then base his or her diet calorie intake from that.
    My BMR is around 1500. Since I am fairly active, I try not to intake under my BMR calorie amount, while still intaking a few hundred calories less than I burn in a day.
  • CoachJfitzm
    Options
    Good afternoon,
    I'm so glad you took the first step in changing your diet and nutrition. I usually tell all my peers that they need to check out this site.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

It has a great calculator to let you know what your body needs based on your size, exercise schedule, and goals.
    Give it a try and let me know your results. Love to help,

Jeff
  • CoachJfitzm
    Options
    Good Morning,
    I did some research and found this info for you! I couldn't have said it better.
    "

Knowing what your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is a key component to losing weight. There are so many weight loss programs out there. Some focus on the exercise, some on the diet and others on supplements. Many work. Many still just want you to write them a check.

Regardless of their benefit, they all have a common goal. No program ever escapes this. You need to burn more calories than you take it. There are lots of ways to burn more calories. Without question some are more efficient than others. You still have to do it.

When trying to lose weight, you need to eat fewer calories. We can change what we eat, when we eat it, combinations of what we eat and how much.

BMR becomes important in any program. Your body needs a minimum number of calories every day just to function. Your heart must pump, your kidneys must filter and so on. The energy requirement to do this is known as your BMR.

Does this mean your need to attempt to take in the calories needed to support those functions? Not exactly. You need to burn 3500 calories to lose a pound. Know what your BMR is gives you a baseline to figure out a starting point.

Real sustainable weight loss means a change in your lifestyle. Eating meat, cheese and bacon is a temporary way to lose weight. It is not a good lifestyle choice. Exercising regularly, eating healthy and fresh foods is a much better lifestyle choice. Knowing ones BMR gives you and idea about how to judge your intake for the activity level you maintain."

I hope this helps!
    Good luck and remember burn more than you take in, but don't starve yourself either.

Jeff
    independent beachbody coach
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon,
    I'm so glad you took the first step in changing your diet and nutrition. I usually tell all my peers that they need to check out this site.

It has a great calculator to let you know what your body needs based on your size, exercise schedule, and goals.

Jeff

Seems like a decent calculator.
  • CoachJfitzm
    Options
    It is a decent calculator as well as the BMI and body fat calculator on the same site.
    I hope it helps.
    Where are you at with your goals? How much do you want to lose still?
    How's your results coming at this point?

~Jeff
  • rexsfoodlady
    Options
    Good afternoon,

Jeff
    Thanks for posting this. It was very helpful.
  • TheDarkAss
    TheDarkAss Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good question. Usually eating less than 1,200 (for women) can cause the body to go into hibernation mode, where the body fat is stored to store energy. Most people would advise against this. There are ways around it, however, like eating a lot of low calorie foods (like celery) to keep your body from entering into hibernation mode, but there are other reasons you shouldn't do this. Your body is complex and needs a certain amount of calories to function. Low calories can cause a lack of mental energy and affect your thought process. Many people become cranky on low calories. Your immune system can also be affected by low calories as well. Many people report high rate of sickness and fatigue while taking in less than 1,200 calories.

Low calories of that magnitude is also ill-advised if you work out on a constant basis.

I hope this helped, at least in part.
  • Granny107
    Options
    So now I am really confused, if my BMR is 1426 but my daily calories should be 1280 which one should I be hitting?
  • Ronij59
    Ronij59 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Great synopsis Lauren. Makes me think twice about the calorie thing. My endocrynolgist has me on a 1200 calorie diet due to my illness(it is not diabetes). The medication I take makes it really hard to loose weight. So she is hoping this will kick my metabolism in. So I will keep right at that 1200 goal daily to keep myself on track and keep my body burning the fat. Thanks again.:flowerforyou:
  • TheDarkAss
    Options
    So now I am really confused, if my BMR is 1426 but my daily calories should be 1280 which one should I be hitting?

If your BMR is 1426, then you must be really small already...
  • jeleclekat
    jeleclekat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    OK , I'm 61, female, 5'2
    TDEE 2170, RMR - 1792
    BMR - 1720
    to lose a pound a week, means 500 less calories a day/

Do I subtract that from what figure?
  • TheDarkAss
    Options
    OK , I'm 61, female, 5'2
    TDEE 2170, RMR - 1792
    BMR - 1720
    to lose a pound a week, means 500 less calories a day/

Do I subtract that from what figure?

BMR is basically what you would lose if you were to sit and sleep all day. You should burn about 1905 calories a day, judging by your info. A good recommended amount is 1205 calories a day, and that SHOULD be about a pound and a half a week.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Great synopsis Lauren. Makes me think twice about the calorie thing. My endocrynolgist has me on a 1200 calorie diet due to my illness(it is not diabetes). The medication I take makes it really hard to loose weight. So she is hoping this will kick my metabolism in. So I will keep right at that 1200 goal daily to keep myself on track and keep my body burning the fat. Thanks again.:flowerforyou:

Oh yes, definitely listen to what your endocrinologist says! Doctors advice always trumps advice from internet forums, haha. What I posted is a good "standard" rule, but there are definitely exceptions.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I have been reading some comments on one of my friends, some people said that the net calorie should never be less than 1,200 calories a day. I most of the time eat less than 1,200 calories a day, and I feel ok. So my question is why shouldn't I eat less than 1,200 calories in a day? BTW my calorie goal for now is 1,400 calorie. Thanks to anyone who will answer this question.

The body likes to maintain homeostasis. If a person continually eats low amounts of calories for a prolonged period of time, the body will adjust it's metabolism accordingly making it so that you have to eat low calories in order to maintain.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    if u r able to get all ur macro and micro nutrient needs at 1200kcal go for it. if u r not always hungry and feel energized go for it. there is no magic Domesday number thats the same for everybody. everyone metabolism is different.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Well, for starters, this is one reason
    BTW my calorie goal for now is 1,400 calorie.

Another reason would be that for the majority of human beings on planet earth, 1200 calories represents too big of a deficit for optimal healthy weight loss.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    Hasn't this question been asked too many times already?