Will a Body Media Fit work out cals I need to lose weight?

Options
I'm thinking about buying a Body Media Fit.. I was wondering if anyone can let me know a little more about what they do apart from tracking the calories you've burnt?
Will it give me a calculation of calories I should be eating based on what I'm burning, in order to lose a certain amount per week?
Also, can you wear it anywhere else other than your arm?

Thanks MFPS!

Replies

• _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It will give you a suggestion... just like MFP... It's all based on equations and the info you put in it.....but also give info on how to improve if you activate the fit trainer guide.
    And nope... have to wear it on your arm.
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Short version:
    -it will track the total number of calories you burn each day
    -how much activity you do (moderate & vigorous, based on MET scale)
    -how much sleep you get (vs. simply lying down)
    -the number of steps you take.

It can calculate how many calories you would need to consume to create a deficit for weight loss. Or maintenance. Or to gain.

It's fairly black & white. For instance, i learned that I burned less than I thought I did, so the deficit i thought I had, didn't exist. Once I adjusted based on the data-the weight started to come off. Unlike MFP, the equation is based on how much you actually burn during a day, and not on some hypothetical ideal person or guessing what you're activity level is like. Simply make sure that your calories consumed is at least 500 less than calories burned per day, and you'll see progress.

You are supposed to wear it on your arm, but for certain activities such as cycling, folks have reported better results with it on the leg.
  • MiaMcBetty
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I ended up buying a Fitbit which is pretty much the same thing..

In particular, thanks for this info:

"It's fairly black & white. For instance, i learned that I burned less than I thought I did, so the deficit i thought I had, didn't exist. Once I adjusted based on the data-the weight started to come off. Unlike MFP, the equation is based on how much you actually burn during a day, and not on some hypothetical ideal person or guessing what you're activity level is like. Simply make sure that your calories consumed is at least 500 less than calories burned per day, and you'll see progress."
  • es2189
    es2189 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I ended up buying a Fitbit which is pretty much the same thing..

In particular, thanks for this info:

"It's fairly black & white. For instance, i learned that I burned less than I thought I did, so the deficit i thought I had, didn't exist. Once I adjusted based on the data-the weight started to come off. Unlike MFP, the equation is based on how much you actually burn during a day, and not on some hypothetical ideal person or guessing what you're activity level is like. Simply make sure that your calories consumed is at least 500 less than calories burned per day, and you'll see progress."

A fitbit is not basically the same thing as a Body Media Fit. It's fine, and it works for a lot of people, but it only takes into account your movement, while the BMF uses three other forms of measurement. I've heard that people have experienced difficulties with it overestimating calorie burn.