Input, please....

Options
- I'm 61, female, 5'2 - started at 280, currently 265 at 6 weeks. MFP has my calories at 1650, and I have trouble meeting that. I sometimes have trouble even reaching 1200. Maybe it's mental??? It just seems high and maybe I'm afraid to let go? I know I do well on lower carbs - at least I have in the past. . Sometimes it just seems there is so much confusion, I'm not sure which way to turn. I know that the weight didn't come one quickly so I'm set for a pound a week being OK. I suppose if I up my calories to the 1650 range and gain, I can always lower it and start again. Just don't want to get discouraged. 15 pounds in 6 weeks seems OK with the 1200.

I've had 1200 recommended and lower carbs. Then I read I need to be around my BMR. My TDEE is 2170, RMR is 1792 and BMR is 1720,

Advice and ideas welcome....

Replies

• scrapfrfun
    Options
    We are right about the same calorie range I am right at 1640. I have lost 15 in 2 months, so we seem to be on the same path......I set mine for 1.5lb week. I do try to get close to my 1640 but quite a few times end up not even getting close, i don't follow the TDEE either. I also don't eat my exercise calories back either as when I was doing WW a couple years back they gave us a choice to use them or not.

Slow and steady wins the game.......go ahead and friend me if you need support.
  • childofArtemis24
    Options
    I haven't lost anything! i have actually gained! My goal is a pound a week with calories being 1310. I do good meeting half of that. But, It is making me frustrated. I do have health issues too. But, I am going to talk to my doctor Tuesday at my check up. Maybe he can help.
  • Dandawa
    Dandawa Posts: 97
    Options
    Eat more. I started out weighing 221 went down 15 easy was only eating 1200 working out 5 days a week until good sweat.
    Then few weeks went by Zero loss. I was not happy reached out to other on mfp and they said eat more. I thought bout it did more reading upped my calories to 1500 sure enough weight started coming off again.
    I know I have to tell myself all day n check at half way through day if. Half way done calories. My advice add protein shake twice day and nuts health fats u need. Greek yogurt. It may work for a bit eating less but the reading I've done suggest it will not keep uP. Good luck
    Whatever u decided
  • nikcasso
    nikcasso Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes eat the reccommeded cals but increase up slowly (50-100 cals a week). If you want this weight loss to stick and not have to lose AGAIN then treat this like you have to do it for the rest of your life. I lost 50 pounds on WW too but it was a race and not a life style. I am consuming 1550 which is a healthy 15% below TDEE (I am 5'6 and 176#). Sometimes I eat my exercise cals back. Right now I am stalled...and after looking back at my journal, I realized that my net cals have been too low. The body will drop for a time with low cals but it will stop and you will gain back. High cal and healthy options to help you meet daily intake include peanut butter and nuts. There are nights I grab a banana and peanut butter before bed just to get close to my cals. :)
  • jeleclekat
    jeleclekat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yes eat the reccommeded cals but increase up slowly (50-100 cals a week). If you want this weight loss to stick and not have to lose AGAIN then treat this like you have to do it for the rest of your life. I lost 50 pounds on WW too but it was a race and not a life style. I am consuming 1550 which is a healthy 15% below TDEE (I am 5'6 and 176#). Sometimes I eat my exercise cals back. Right now I am stalled...and after looking back at my journal, I realized that my net cals have been too low. The body will drop for a time with low cals but it will stop and you will gain back. High cal and healthy options to help you meet daily intake include peanut butter and nuts. There are nights I grab a banana and peanut butter before bed just to get close to my cals. :)

so, with TDEE at 2170, MFP has my calories at about 24% less than that, - 1650. I guess I should try to get comfortable eating more and see how it goes. I've read 2-30% of TDEE for calorie intake I think.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Jelecle, I'm not sure exactly what the question is, but if you're asking if 1650 sounds right, it does sound about right to me. But if you can easily get by on 1400 cals go ahead. That should still be in your safe range and should lead to slightly/steadier weight loss
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    400 calories at 11pm ? What's that about.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Trust me, you wont gain on that amount of calories and I would certainly eat the 1650 and stay clear of the 1200 route. You said yourself that this isn't about speed of weight loss. 'Tis true what we are told about slower being better and this should also be about learning a new lifestyle and eating habits that you can take into maintenance and not gain weight again.

As some (excuse the pun) 'food for thought' I'm 5'3" and weigh 109lb. I eat on average 1800 calories a day and more at weekends. I don't gain weight on that amount, so you sure as well won't. I think if you feel deprived and hungry on this weight loss journey you will start to get more disheartened with it and there will be more chance of coming off the wagon. :flowerforyou:
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I agree you should still lose on 1650 although if eating 1200 so far you might have a temp little gain initially.

Like someone else suggested, I would go with slowly increasing between 50-100 a week and hopefully you will easily get to 1650 and still lose a little each week. It's quite easy to add in healthy higher calorie foods, maybe a handful of almonds, or a drizzle of olive oil on a salad? It can be tempting to reach for junk when increasing calories but there are ways that don't involve chocolate or take away foods :)
  • nikcasso
    nikcasso Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think we all get to a point where we start to question what the right answer is and to tell you the truth, there is no right answer. Depends on your body. I stumbled onto these two resources with the help of other mfp: search "in place of a road map". This post.was a great read to understand TDEE and has great info on how to calculate for your body type, age, gender, etc. I actually prnted it out and refer to it often. Later someone pointed to www.scoobysworkshop.com. this resource was pretty close to the recomendations I had calculated from the first resource so I have this site bookmarked. Best of luck!