Help will lifting weights always leave me sore?

Options
I'd say I'm very aquainted with cardio as exercise. I understand that at first running is going to leave you sore. but eventually the pain stops. I've taken up weight lifting recently. I'm horrendously sore. But I expected that, that's what I get for neglecting weight training for years. However do to the nature of weight lifting, the constant mini tearing of muscle, will I always be sore from this? Is the pain ever going to stop? I ask because I'm not sure if I want to continue with a workout program that will forever leave me sore.

Replies

• zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    I love being sore. That means I am doing it right. :wink:
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    So how long have you been weight lifting? Are you still sore? I dont expect excruiating pain, but still do you still feel it the next day?
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Whats your routine look like. You wont "always" be super sore
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You will be sore again as you do different exercises and increase the weight, but it will never be as bad as the first time. Stick with it!
  • LCgymnast
    LCgymnast Posts: 258
    Options
    Well you will be sore after weight lifting because you pushing the muscles past their normal stress point. However, I'm sure being that sore where it's hard to function is not what you were looking for. My question is how much are you lifting (weight and reps). Maybe try a smaller weight with more reps. I used to lift a heavy weight but it was bulking up way to much for my personal liking so I did more reps with lighter weights and got better results for me. Are you trying to bulk or look leaner??? I hope this helps you out in any way. Good Luck!!!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    As long as your joints don't hurt, sore muscles is the sign of a great work out. I love it when my muscles are tender 24-48 hours later, because it means I did it right!
  • wordena
    Options
    I'm lifting quite heavy weights for me. But I want to try to get to heavier weights. I have the sad goal of wanting to do push ups and chin ups.
    I squat 95 pounds 3 sets 20 reps (I will go a lot heavier next week but much lower reps)
    bench press 3 sets 20, 15, 10 at 20 pounds. (again I'm going to go heavier but much lower reps. 8?)
    pull 55 pounds 3 sets of 10
    bicep curls 45 pounds( together 3 sets of 10.)
    weighted sit ups at 10 pounds, probably 40
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting leaves me a little sore, but it is a "good sore", KWIM? It goes away almost completely in a couple of days, just in time for my next workout.

If you are feeling intense pain, maybe you need to pay closer attention to your form, or maybe you are lifting too much. There is an old saying that "light and right is better than strong and wrong".
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Got sore the first couple times.
    Once in a great while, I'll get a little sore. Usually in the shoulders. But most the time.. no.

Here's a good quote from Mark Rippetoe:

Only people willing to work to the point of discomfort on a regular basis using effective means to produce that discomfort will actually look like they have been other-than-comfortable most of the time. You can thank the muscle magazines for these persistent misconceptions, along with the natural tendency of all normal humans to seek reasons to avoid hard physical exertion.
  • wordena
    Options
    No I'm pretty sure I focused on proper form at the gym. That's why I had soo many reps because I was playing it safe till I felt comfortable with the weight.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Do you take recovery drinks after...you need good carbs.glutamines and protein to fuel those muscles.
    This will help A LOT with your soreness..like major!!!!

I use intra-workout drinks and Post-workout drinks(recovery) and It's a total major difference for me.
  • wordena
    Options
    I will do that. I had lots of edible food protein after my workout, but I forgot my protein powder. Will remember for tomorrow.
  • RyanWilson1993
    RyanWilson1993 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    No
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Do you warm up beforehand and cool down and stretch afterward? It can only help so much, but it does help.
  • wordena
    Options
    Yes I do. Stretch hamstrings and arms before. I do yoga on the mats after.
  • wordena
    Options
    Actually the same move you're doing in your photo ^ :) (no joke)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    It will get less severe as you adjust but I cant say it really goes away. Drink lots of water, get lots of rest, eat enough to fuel the workout. Try to work the muscles again just as the soreness is almost gone. Dont over do it but try to do a few sets of lower weight or get on the elliptical and work out the soreness. For some reason this really helps me not be as sore for the next workout.

I also find heat helps. Hot water or a heating pad.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Contrary to what many of us learned in PE as kids, stretching cold muscles isn't a great idea. Warm up with light cardio (walking's fine) and do your stretching after your workout.

Epsom salt baths are supposed to be helpful although I've never actually tried it.

Anyway in response to the original question, when you start out you are overloading your muscles and you're going to be pretty sore. Eventually you'll get used to that load and will increase weight and/or reps gradually enough to where maybe you'll be a little sore in a body part or two but that's it. It gets better.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    The first couple of weeks acclimating to lifing are generally the worst. After that, it should lesson. Just don't try to over do it the first few weeks. Also the comment about protein and simple carbs are spot on from my experience. I always "feel" better, and feel less sore when I intake them shortly after my workout. I usually have my Syntha 6 powder in my bag & I'm shaking it up while walking out of the gym.

Something tasty is blending vanilla protein powder, a banana, a little milk or coconut juice and a little cinnamon...it's my recovery shake of choice. Use ice or peel & freeze the banana for a colder treat.