Concept: Egg Roll; Baked — Or Sans Wrapper?

Options
Dinner tonight was my first attempt at baking egg rolls (lightly coated with cooking spray, cooked 12-15 min. in a 400° F oven, turned once). The results were underwhelming, the exterior pale, thick, jerky tough in some spots, doughy in others, and the filling dried out during the baking process. Any tips for a successful baked egg roll?

Otherwise, what are your thoughts on a wrapper-less egg roll, along the same vein of a naked burrito bowl? Egg roll filling* over rice (jasmine, brown for a healthier version) or rice noodles, topped with a handful of pan-fried wonton shreds, and...? What else? A fried egg (the running yolk serving as a sauce when punctured)? Other than adding chicken or vegetable broth (or the egg yolk concept — which my husband wouldn't appreciate), how could I extend the filling's liquid content to accommodate the starch atop which it's served? Could my typical egg roll sides — egg drop soup and sweet and sour sauce for dipping — be somehow incorporated?

Why yes, I AM a foodie; you could tell? ;)

___

*My homemade egg roll filling consists of ground chicken, shredded carrots and savoy cabbage, grated ginger, rice vinegar, soy sauce, salt, sesame and canola oils, salt and ground black pepper.

Replies

• ixchel78
    ixchel78 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    What about an "open face" egg roll?

Instead of full egg roll wrappers, use wonton wrappers in a mini cupcake pan (spritzed with cooking spray), bake until they start to crisp and then fill and finish cooking. I've seen lots of recipes like hungry girl style that seem to make little cups out of the wonton wrappers. Worth a try!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    My baked eggrolls don't do that. I just do a little egg white wash on the outside before baking. I like the person above me's idea, maybe I'll try that because it sounds cute!
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    A visually appealing idea, ixchel78, I've seen wonton wrappers used as lasagna cups; still, it might be simpler to crush baked or fried wonton over top, splash on some sweet and sour, and call it a Deconstructed Egg Roll. ;) Won't know until I try. Thank you for the response!
  • mommyshortlegs
    Options
    Award30, peering into the oven tonight at my pitifully pale egg rolls, I actually thought of an egg white wash to aid with browning -- it works with breads; why not egg roll wrappers? Thanks for inadvertently confirming my theory before I even had to test it! ;)

BTW, do you flip the rolls mid-way through and egg wash the second side as well? What temps/times do you use?
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Mine are store-bought and I just use the time and temp on the wrapper, no clue what it was off the top of my head. I don't normally flip and wash the other side.. but you probably should. I only don't because I'm physically incapable of properly filling them and always overfill and have stuff falling out of the underside. lol

I use the wrappers to make samosas as well, and same story, I just can't help myself and always overfill!
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You can use phyllo pastries for the egg roll wrapper. Take about 4/5 sheets, spary with olive oil or pam lightly. Cut the sheets to the size desired, fill with egg roll filling, and bake. If you want to cut out a few more calories, you can not spray the sheets between, and do a light spray on the outside only.
  • scrapfrfun
    Options
    The wonton wrappers in the muffin tins sounds awesome! Can anyone sharing a "stuffing" recipe for the inside? I would appreciate it........Thanks!
  • mommyshortlegs
    Options
    Award30 : Last night I attempted baking another batch of egg rolls, this time with an egg white wash. These results were only slightly more crunchy/less doughy than the first; I'm about through with trying to bake a food traditionally fried. *sigh* I did, however, create an egg roll bowl, pairing the leftover filling and sauce with brown rice -- delicious! An out-of-the-wrap idea I'll be repeating. ;)

macx2mommy : Without the crispness/airiness (if greasiness) frying provides, I think baked egg rolls would greatly benefit from a thinner skin; your phyllo suggestion could be exactly what is needed, I've written myself a reminder to try this method next. Thank you!

scrapfrfun : I use a variation of the below egg roll recipe -- adapt to your taste or search Pinterest for other options. :)

http://steamykitchen.com/13029-my-mothers-famous-chinese-egg-rolls-2.html
  • chickenz
    chickenz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Try spring roll wrappers (thinner) instead of egg roll wrappers (thicker)
  • mommyshortlegs
    Options
    chickenz : For such an obvious choice, I hadn't thought of it. ;) Thanks!