Measure or Eyeball it?

Options
Kitsada
Kitsada Posts: 105 Member
I've been starting to wonder how accurate my eyeballs are....lol.

I do cook, have general idea what a half cup, a quarter cup, a whole cup, looks like...

I don't have a food scale. I estimate meat by the package size/weight, and how much of the package I had size the ounces down from there.

What do most people do, is my question. Measure everything carefully, or estimate?

Replies

• servingsarcasm
    servingsarcasm Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I measure everything. Your eyes measure everything big. I was shocked the first time I seen what a serving size of steak was or chicken. And creamer for coffee!! WOW I can tell the difference in how much I use now that I measure and how much I used to use when I would just splash it in. And a good rule of thumb it it measure raw.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Measure! Or don't be surprised when the scale isn't your friend.... Food scales are pretty cheap and totally worth it.
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    I have a blade scale that I love:
    http://www.rhinogifts.co.uk/bladescale.html
    WEIGH. That is the best way to go. :)
  • Strangelyinsane
    Strangelyinsane Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I measure and weigh all meal ingredients. I add 2 tablespoons fat free half n half to my coffee, though, without measuring. I find I'm pretty close with things like a cup or half a cup but weights are much beyond my ability. I weigh out 3 oz of fish for instance and am always surprised at how much it is.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I measure things, and quite honestly, would like to get a food scale.

It's interesting, because I tend to overestimate when I eat. When I actually measure, I get a lot more food.
  • rdmclachlan
    Options
    I finally broke down and purchased a food scale. Best money I ever spent. I know exactly what I'm eating and am better able to track. A plus for me is that some foods I was able to increase the amount as my "estimates" were skimping me a full serving. Buy a scale (my weighs oz or g) Love ,., Love ... Love it.
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I measure everything. Your eyes measure everything big. I was shocked the first time I seen what a serving size of steak was or chicken. And creamer for coffee!! WOW I can tell the difference in how much I use now that I measure and how much I used to use when I would just splash it in. And a good rule of thumb it it measure raw.

OMG I purchased a digital scale on Amazon for under $20.00, and I tell you I use it all the time. You can't even imaging the first day. I was so shocked. I use to measure meat etc in a measuring cup. And not even taking into consideration on MFP the amounts (unless stated) are for raw meat Now I make sure to input cooked if that is what I need. As far as creamer yea just pouring you would be surprised at what you may think is right. We now use the measuring spoons

To answer your question measure everything (with in reason) or you may be sabotaging yourself. In my case I use to guess my protein and now realize I was short changing myself.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    It is best to invest in a food scale and start properly measuring. I got my digital food scale for $20.
  • Kitsada
    Kitsada Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Boo!!

Alright...lol. Thanks for the input, I'll have to get one.

and use it.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    I measure most everything. I know 3 oz of chicken is my palm size so I go off of that. And I know lettuce/spinach is about 1 cup for a big fist full. Everything else I use measuring cups for. Better safe than sorry, at least when you are losing weight. I would hate to underestimate my calories and end up overeating and not seeing results!
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Best to get a scale. Even when using measuring cups i found i would be over in portion size... For measuring cupsmto be accurate i have found i need to leave about 1/8-1/4 inch from topmof cup to be accurate. Once u get a scale, eyeball things them weigh them, see how close you were.. Bet youll be shocked at the results!
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    scale/measure it. i was the opposite...i was totally underestimating and short-changing myself by eyeballing things. i weigh everything except meats. i've got a pretty good handle on what 100g looks like. plus i get confused with the database on here as i don't know if things are measured raw or cooked. so i measure off a piece that is about the size of a deck of cards as 100g. but when it comes to nuts, cheese/dairy products, chocolate, ice cream...i weigh it all. those are things i need to be exact with.

i've also got a cushion for calories. i am supposed to be at 1800 per day but i have my setting at 1700. this way, i always know, worst case scenario, i've got 100 extra calories. but i usually come in under 1700 anyway.
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Measure it, by eatballing I ate about 200 cals less than I thought I did and wandered why I'm so hungry.

There are things that I know how much tehy weight if I buy the same thing over and over but generally I measure.
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Measure! I spent close to a year measuring things and thought I had the hang of it. The above posters are right it's way too easy to underestimate with your eyes.

I tried not measuring for a while and I'm back at it again now as it seems I'm not a very good estimator lol
  • FitSuga
    FitSuga Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything with a scale. If you like to bake too, its the only way to go. :)
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    food scale 100%

for everything. I measure 15g of peanut butter, everyday.

correct portions / measurements are definitely helpful.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I measure religiously with a digital scale, down to the very last gram. I'm in the UK so grams is the norm. No idea how anyone can cope with a cup measure.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I measure religiously with a digital scale, down to the very last gram. I'm in the UK so grams is the norm. No idea how anyone can cope with a cup measure.

I agree, cup measurements I find difficult also!
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I bought a scale. Now that I have been using it for a few months, my "eyeball" is tuned in much better.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go against the grain a little and say some of each. Here's the thing, measuring isn't realistic for the long term or for scenarios like dining out so at some point eyeballing is a skill you want to develop. However, if you're concerned that your guesstimates run a bit high, definitely measure & weigh.

OP, I do the same as you for the most part. I'll measure things if a recipe calls for 1/2 cup of this or 1/4 tsp of that or I'll weigh pasta if I'm not using the whole box. But most of the time I eyeball or go by package info but I tend to round up when tracking.

For instance, tonight we're having bone on pork chops. The package was about 1.5 pounds and I'll probably eat two and based on the size of the actual meat, that's about 3-4 ounces of edible per chop. So I pre-logged it as 8oz.