Running help weight loss or not

Options
Okay so I've been running again after quite awhile off and hitting the gym hard.
I had hit a plateau and with the advice of others increased my calories (sometimes by eating candy ;-) and well my weight is up a pound. My new calorie allotment has been 1470 and I usually am just below that or sometimes if I run 200 below net. Am I waisting effort running and should I be spending more time doing other workouts? No matter what I'll keep running cause I LOVE it but maybe I won't focus so much on it. I usually run 3-4 days a week, 2.5 - 5 miles a time with 2-3 days of weight training 45 minutes. Kinda pissed I'm up a pound and my measurements are the stinking same so that's not it. Thanks all!

Replies

• lexusgirl1
    Options
    For me running helps my weight loss incredibly, gym not really.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    all exercise helps my weightloss
  • kkbmommy
    kkbmommy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    :-( I lost more weight sitting on my butt. Thanks!!!
  • rubix08
    rubix08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I used to only run or do a brisk walk then recently started throwing in some strength training. I had hit a stall with my weight loss about a month ago that lasted 3 weeks. I tried zig zagging my calories, eating less carbs, upping my protein. Nothing really did anything and my weight only changed a few ounces each day. Ultimately I think what my problem was was that I was overestimating how many calories I burned during my jog (used my iPod's pedometer) and would unintentionally go over my calorie goal by 150-200 cal's.

In the end maybe it wasn't so bad that I was increasing my cal intake for a bit since after being on this lifestyle change for so long maybe I was due to just go into a temporary maintenance mode for a while, but I think my issue this time was just not accurately balancing out my workout ca'ls to my food cal's until I got a HRM. The only other thing I really altered in my routine was to add a rest day, maybe even two, every week. I have also just hit stalls before that would last a bit then the weight loss would start back up again even though I never really changed anything.

How long have you been stuck?
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

And it's great therapy

And I'm forbidden to run for 6 weeks and now I need therapy =(
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Running definitely helps but be sure to mix up your runs a little bit. I was doing Couch to 5K and then a 10K program and so increasing my running time every week. Once I stopped the programs and ran the same route every other day.. I hit a plateau. So go for long runs, short runs, slow runs, fast runs (I feel like Dr. Seuss) .. intervals work wonders.. and keep your body guessing!

Running is the best!
  • kkbmommy
    Options
    For a long time but I was only eating 850 to 12 or 1300 calories a day. I
    I'd say two months but I've been only running for the last month and just up'ed my calories 2 weeks ago.
    I have 10 pounds that are mocking me. Should you not eat back calories burned I was til eat back half. I thought that defeats the purpose of exercising and creating a "calorie deficit".
  • kkbmommy
    Options
    Running is the best and I totally love it. I do run at different paces and places and distances. Mostly hilly areas.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I love running. I run for all kinds of different reasons, most of all for stress relief and I just flipping love it.

I lift weights to reshape my body.
  • kkbmommy
    Options
    Yeah I love running as well! Such a relaxer. I'll be all cranky and everyone's like just go for a run already. Just freaking out a but.
    Thanks for all advice!!
  • rwalston86
    rwalston86 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    So go for long runs, short runs, slow runs, fast runs (I feel like Dr. Seuss) ..

HAHAHA That made me LOL
  • rwalston86
    rwalston86 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love running. I always have. Its always leaned me out the quickest in the past and I am just getting back to it.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    For a long time but I was only eating 850 to 12 or 1300 calories a day. I
    I'd say two months but I've been only running for the last month and just up'ed my calories 2 weeks ago.
    I have 10 pounds that are mocking me. Should you not eat back calories burned I was til eat back half. I thought that defeats the purpose of exercising and creating a "calorie deficit".
    You already have a calorie deficit programmed in to your plan if you set your MFP settings to weight loss.
    If you make the deficit too deep by adding strenuous exercise and then not eating some extra to replenish, you risk burning out.

ETA -- For me, running does help a lot in the sense that it's easier to stay within my calorie plan because then my total calories for the day are high enough to keep me really full and satisfied.
  • GomesDavid
    Options
    Okay so I've been running again after quite awhile off and hitting the gym hard.
    I had hit a plateau and with the advice of others increased my calories (sometimes by eating candy ;-) and well my weight is up a pound. My new calorie allotment has been 1470 and I usually am just below that or sometimes if I run 200 below net. Am I waisting effort running and should I be spending more time doing other workouts? No matter what I'll keep running cause I LOVE it but maybe I won't focus so much on it. I usually run 3-4 days a week, 2.5 - 5 miles a time with 2-3 days of weight training 45 minutes. Kinda pissed I'm up a pound and my measurements are the stinking same so that's not it. Thanks all!

to reduce weight, one must engage in an activity that burns calories and reduces overall body fat. Running can burn anywhere from 500 to 1,000 calories an hour depending on how fast you run. Use running on a daily basis to reduce extra fat.