Need some advice to get back in the fitness game.

Options
I need some help or advice on changing my mindset. Here's my story. 2 months ago i hurt myself during a workout, nothing serious, while doing pullups the bar slipped out of place and i ended up falling flat on my back. While laying there and after i had checked to see if my toes could wiggle i started to have a fear grow out of what had just happened. " what if in my adventure to be fit, and live longer i somehow hurt myself or have an accident that i can't work and earn a living?"

I welcome any advice, thank you in advance. i need a mantra to tell my brain it needs to workout and get over what happened.

Edwin

P.s. Please excuse any poor spacing, my phone really doesn't like typing correctly on forums.

Replies

• 1Clueless1
    Options
    This makes sense to me and the only thing I can tell you is just do it! Almost three years ago I was playing indoor soccer and my foot stuck and my knee kept going. Had surgery for the acl, mcl, medial and lateral meniscus. No weight on the leg at all after surgery for two months. Physical therapy for 6 months then we moved. For two years I said, "I can't do that because I don't want to hurt myself again." And then I looked in the mirror and cried. I didn't like what I saw and decided that my whole life was going down because of my excuses. Found someone to work out with at least three days a week who will hold me accountable. The other days I now work out on my own. Took about 5 weeks to make it my habit. Now I crave the workout and MUST make the time for it. Sometimes my knee will start to hurt a little but I modify the workout and keep going. You can do it!! You just have to decide its time. I don't know about you but my workout is as much for my mental health as it is physical. So just start!! You will feel so great for making yourself get that work out in. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • 1Clueless1
    Options
    P.s. the quote on your profile says it all. Good luck and everyone is here for you. :-)
  • penguinjlynn
    penguinjlynn Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have some anxiety. Slowly reintroduce yourself. Ease yourself into it. Accidents can happen any where any time, crossing the street, eating a meal, at work, etc. That doesn't stop you from leaving the house every day to do these things. Tell yourself it's ok that you feel that way and you'll be more careful, but don't let fear hold you back. Pace yourself and best of luck!
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    Hey dude, there are plenty of alternative workout machines to simulate what the pull up does for you. Use those instead, until you can get back on the bar. At least on the sit-down machines, you can let go or slip, and you will be fine. the mechanisms allow you to slip if need be. Good luck dude! I aim to be where you are at right now, so good going!

P.S.--- for the record, I cannot do one pull up, because my arms cannot support my belly lol.
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    If that doesn't give you what you need, just go with this:

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Are you quitting on me? Well, are you? Then quit, you slimy f***ing walrus-looking piece of s***! Get the f*** off of my obstacle! Get the f*** down off of my obstacle! NOW! MOVE IT! Or I'm going to rip your b*lls off, so you cannot contaminate the rest of the world! I will motivate you, Private Pyle, IF IT SHORT-D***S EVERY CANNIBAL ON THE CONGO!
    ----Full Metal Jacket
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Friend Edwin...Don't waste time worrying about crap that has not happened yet....You'll need to save your strength for dealing with all of the sh+t that will actually get dumped on you.
  • Edwin_S
    Edwin_S Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Im thankful to all of you that answered. Your advice has been helpful to aid me in getting my head back into the game. Thank you again for all your encouragement!

Edwin