A bit confused

Options
I've been doing more strength workouts than cardio (I get enough of that at work) and, of course, I'd like six-pack abs. Usually when I work a muscle group I feel like I've done something as the muscles are a bit sore. This int th case, though, when I do my ab exercises. Maybe it's because my core is stronger than I thought it was, but I think that's wishful thinking. I'm trying to do the exercise as the instructions in my magazine article show, but I'm not very good yet.
I feel like I'm doing something wrong but I'm not sure what. Any advice?

Replies

• cmaceluch
    Options
    Add weight. Weighted crunches, decline weighed crunches, etc. Try some new exercises like ab windmills, or planking for long periods of time.
  • kramalicious
    Options
    Even if your core is stronger, you can still challenge it. If you aren't sure you are doing it right, ask someone whose workout you respect to watch you and critique you. Or hire a personal trainer, even for a few sessions, to get some new ways to work your core.
    If you can't afford that you can always go online and find a fitness site and watch them, then try to copy that in the mirror. You may pick up some good tips. Doing an exercise correctly will make a big difference, so it's good you asked this question.
    If you're just doing standard ab work, add in some planks or heavy medicine ball situps with twists. Changing up your exercises helps you continue to strengthen. There are people on here who know lots more about it than I do, so maybe they will chime in. Ask the insanity or P90 X crowd, those exercises look tough!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Unless your abs are crazy under trained (slim chance, but possible) your lack of a six pack has everything to do with your bodyfat% and nothing to do with your lack of soreness after doing tons of ab work. Stop killing yourself with crunches. You're just going to have to diet down like the rest of us.
  • cmaceluch
    Options
    Unless your abs are crazy under trained (slim chance, but possible) your lack of a six pack has everything to do with your bodyfat% and nothing to do with your lack of soreness after doing tons of ab work. Stop killing yourself with crunches. You're just going to have to diet down like the rest of us.

I feel as though he was speaking about the lack of DOMS after he works is core. Like any muscle group, training them will improve results, but it is dependent on bf%.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Planks and plank variations really work my abs and I love them! If you put it into google you'll get a lot of hits :)
  • DavPul
    Options

I feel as though he was speaking about the lack of DOMS after he works is core. Like any muscle group, training them will improve results, but it is dependent on bf%.

I think you may be right that *she* is complaining about her lack of DOMS, but we both know that DOMS is not an indicator of the effectiveness of a workout. More an indicator of the newness of it. And my point still stands, six packs (that show) are more about diet than crunches.
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options

I think you may be right that *she* is complaining about her lack of DOMS, but we both know that DOMS is not an indicator of the effectiveness of a workout. More an indicator of the newness of it. And my point still stands, six packs (that show) are more about diet than crunches.

I agree - you can be super strong and toned, but if your body is holding onto a layer of fat over the muscles, you won't see the six-pack. And you have to really work with your diet if you want to get that "cut-up" look. People who eat a lot of carbs generally don't get that (or at least, women don't, in my experience).
  • lioness0806
    lioness0806 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

I wasn't complaining, I was just trying to get help.
  • DavPul
    Options

Nothing personal. If it makes you feel better, I initially used the word "bemoaning" in place of complaining. I guess I still didn't get it right. "Remarking?" How about "making note of?" I was trying to help, you know. Believe me, when I'm just trolling or being sarcastic, it's pretty obvious.
  • cmaceluch
    Options

Then I hope we helped... Unfortunately to get the results you probably want ~8% bf would be ideal.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    ur abs r stronger than u thunk. they can take a beating similar to calves. dont worry about working for DOMS. just work to improve on last weeks workout.