Please give me your mexican recipes preferably healthy ha ha

Options

Replies

• jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hello from south of the border!

Some of my favority mexican dishes:

Chicken breast in Mole (black and green) Its probably very calorie dense, but I say it's worth it from time to time. I wouldn't suggest making it from scratch but you can go store bought and its really good... though I'm not sure what brands you could get where you live.

If you feel like making something more elaborate you could try making cochinita pibil, It is a very flavorful roast pork dish made with a condiment called "achiote" .

Tortilla soup, specially with queso ranchero, sour cream and diced avocados.

Stuffed poblano peppers you can use both cheese or beef with those and both options are really good..
  • mwgner
    mwgner Posts: 115
    Options
    These are all so wonderful, thank you for making this a topic and thank you all for sharing. I am happy I came across this because I LOVE mexican foods.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    This recipe is SO easy to make, and you get a HUGE piece for minimal calories (1/4 of the whole pan!) Also, you can't taste the cottage cheese at all, coming from someone who hates cottage cheese. :) Enjoy!

**Enchilada Lasagna**

1/2 lb ground turkey breast
    1 1/2 c reduced-fat Mexican-blend or Cheddar cheese
    1 cup canned diced tomatoes, drained
    1 cup low-fat, low-sodium cottage cheese
    1/4 cup canned jalapeño peppers, diced
    1/2 cup chopped scallions
    2 tsp chili powder
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    9 6" corn tortillas
    1 cup taco sauce

1. Brown the turkey in a nonstick skillet. Let it cool, then combine it in a bowl with the cheese (reserving 1/2 c), tomatoes, cottage cheese, peppers, scallions, chili powder, and garlic, stirring well.

2. Coat an 11" x 7" baking dish with cooking spray. Place three tortillas in the dish and top with half of the turkey mixture. Layer three more tortillas, then the remaining turkey mixture. Place the last three tortillas on top, pour taco sauce over them, and sprinkle with 1/2 c cheese.

3. Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes.

Makes 4 servings

Per serving:
    437 calories
    34 g protein
    43 g carbs
    11 g fat (6 g saturated)
    893 mg sodium
    3 g fiber
  • jlt1968
    jlt1968 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • teenio7
    teenio7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    We love these, chicken chimichangas type dinner.
    18ks4o.jpg
    cook chicken any way, shred, mix with 1/5 cup saucehttp://player.swagbucks.com/free_videos/elle/jean_charles_de_castelbajac_spring_2013_readytowear_at_paris_fashion_week/436/214756/
    cook rice in broth, use extra water depending of your rice preference
    mix rice, chicken, beans and cheese, and spread into slightly heated tortillas
    Heat oil in pan and brown
    the last 2 ingredients, yogurt and extra enchalada sauce is seen on the side

f0revq.jpg
    Oh my...That looks...the only things I can think of are inappropriate. Let's just say it looks delicious and leave it at that.
  • bellesmama75
    Options
    bump
  • driab106
    driab106 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I make turkey spiced meat with thigh meat in the crock pot.

add 2 turkey thighs (frozen okay w/o skin) in crock pot
    add in 1 medium onion chopped
    add 1 4oz can green pepper in can (jalepeno mild or medium, in mexican isle )
    add 1 tsp garlic
    add 1/2 tsp chili powder (less or more okay)
    pour 1/2 can tomato sauce on top
    cover and cook about 8 hrs on low

After it is cooked
    take out bones and cartilege from thighs
    shred meat with a fork and mix.

I use this for 2 meals
    - turkey tacos with corn tortillas, salsa, shredded cheese, guac, shredded lettuce, black beans
    -turkey enchiladas with corn tortillas, enchilada sauce & shredded cheese
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    shrinkinginQualicum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Ohhh, yum yum yum. Now I'm starving.!
    Bump for later!
  • lienchingai
    Options
    try chile rubbed pork shoulder from Bon Appetite with pickled red onions (totally not what you would expect) green sauce, cotija cheese, cilantro in a soft corn tortilla. You can always leave out the onlions and peppers. If you are going with beans try bacon simmered black beans in the same Bon Appetite mag. They are a revealtion.
    :flowerforyou:
  • jennyrae719
    Options
    bump
  • bosslady2012
    Options
    bump
    This one isn't truly mexican but has the flavor. I tried this one and it was pretty good. You have to adjust to your personal tastes though

Southwestern Beef & bean Burger wrap

Ingredients
    12 ounces 93%-lean ground beef
    1 cup refried beans
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tablespoon chopped pickled jalapenos
    1 avocado, peeled and pitted
    1/2 cup prepared salsa
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    4 whole-wheat tortillas, warmed (see Tip)
    2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
    1/2 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
    1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
    Directions
    1. Position oven rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Coat a broiler pan with cooking spray.
    2. Gently combine ground beef, beans, cilantro and jalapenos in a medium bowl (do not overmix). Shape into four 5-by-2-inch oblong patties and place on the prepared pan.
    3. Broil the patties until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center reads 165 degrees F , 12 to 14 minutes.
    4. Meanwhile, mash together avocado, salsa and garlic powder in a small bowl.
    5. Place tortillas on a clean work surface. Spread each with the guacamole, then sprinkle with lettuce and cheese. Top each with a burger and roll into a wrap. Serve immediately, with lime wedges.
  • comogirl
    comogirl Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • nrskelley
    nrskelley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Right now I am dealing with an injury meaning I have no calories to spare

Mexican taste is comfort food for us, green chili, tomatillos and chipotle can make anything taste good and satisfy me.

This morning I put 1/3 can of Costeña green chili salsa on two eggs, with 1/2 oz cheese.

I made up a chicken soup with a couple cans of the same salsa, plus a couple pounds of fresh tomatillos cut up. The chicken was a Costco rotisserie skin and bones boiled for stock, the meat cut into chunks....oh yes, lots of chopped onions and celery sauteed. S It is like a green pozole without the hominy....sometimes I put chopped cabbage in it......mmmmm. I serve it with chunks of avocado and more chili. Mexicans get most of their calories from tortillas and the lard used for their beans. Cut that out and Mexican food can be pretty healthy.

Oh, on taco Tuesday we eat homemade tortillas with small portions of filling, and then I load on the cabbage and pico de gallo. Satisfying....but I always try to get in a little extra exercise, tortillas can be dangerous.

I also make a simple spicy bean soup vegetarian style, topped with cheese and yogurt. If I knew how to attach my recipes I would.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump mcbumperson.
  • mkham40
    mkham40 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tawnajean
    Options
    First, I would make a big batch of spicy shredded chicken in the crockpot: Just put in a big package of boneless skinless chicken breasts, taco seasoning, and 1/2 c. water and cook on high 2-3 hours. I use it for enchiladas, tacos, nachos, taquitos etc.

I am also in love with thin corn tortillas!!!

Red chicken enchiladas:
    Shredded chicken
    thin corn tortillas
    red enchilada sauce
    cheese (I just put it on top)
    Mix chicken with a little red sauce. Wrap and put in baking dish. Top with more sauce and cheese. Bake at 350 for 15-20 min.

Green chicken enchiladas:
    Shredded chicken
    1 pkg low fat cream cheese
    green enchilada sauce.
    Heat all together. Wrap in thin corn tortillas. Top with more green enchilada sauce & fiesta cheese. Bake at 350 for 15-20 min.

Taquitos:
    Shredded chicken
    Montery jack cheese
    Thin corn tortillas
    Roll up and bake at 450 degreese for 8-10 minutes

Fish tacos:
    Baked fish sticks
    Thin corn tortillas, warmed
    Green salsa
    Sour cream
    jalapenos

Beef tacos in crunchy taco shells

Beef taco salad

Taco soup -or-

Chicken taco soup

Can you tell we eat a lot of mexican food at our house??!!!
  • Kbjust4me
    Options
    bump
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Ever had pozole? ("Poh-SOLE-ay", please do NOT say "puzzole", I'll slap you!) It sounds strange, but seriously it's super delicious, and with cooler weather coming up, it's a perfect comfort food.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-chicken-posole/