Too thin??

Options
2»

Replies

• jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You are at the lower end of healthy normal BMI.

It wouldn't hurt if you put on a few pounds, but if you are comfortable and healthy where you are no need to.

More exercise/toning will help with your proportions.

Looking at your profile, I do wonder how fast you lost the weight, and what/how much you are eating.

If you are eating enough healthy food and otherwise healthy and taking care of your self, I wouldn't worry too much about what others say. They are used to seeing you one way, and it'll take them awhile to adapt to the new you.
  • angel823
    angel823 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Ive found My family tells me the same exact thing, And My BMI still has me as Overweight. My thing is that my fam has never seen me this thin and to them I am TOO THIN.

In reality it comes down to how u feel

The only person who will, and can make u happy is you
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    There's a lady on here who is a great inspiration. Her posts on the forums are truly inspiring, and she has the links up on her profile page. She talks about toning and not worrying about the scale.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/lorinalynn

ETA the link to her profile page.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    First- I would say that you should probably start focusing on body composition, rather than weight loss or gain. It sounds to me like you have some insecurities still about your body, and you can start to reshape it the way you want by lifting weights. Hit the gym and hit it heavy! I would suggest finding your true maintenance, and start eating close to maintenance, focus on getting adequate protein (1 gm per lb LBM) and crush some iron GIRL!

Second- It's EXTREMELY common that friends and family tell people they're getting "too thin". Don't listen to the words- listen to the underlying reason they're saying them. Usually, the reason is that your changes are exposing them to feelings of insecurity about themselves, that they want to change but don't yet have the motivation to do so. Usually they don't consciously know that, but that's the reason. Just say "thank you for your concerns, I am very close to meeting my goals!" and try to change the subject. You just have to sort of get a thick skin about hearing this, it pretty much always happens to people who lose significant weight.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Try to ignore the comments of envious family members and friends. If everyone around you is overweight, they will think they are normal and you aren't.

It's typical for people who stressed calorie restriction and a bit of cardio to end up where you are. So you are not neurotic for your thoughts. Focus on body composition by upping lean body mass and reducing fat mass rather than scale weight and make strength training your priority exercise.
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am very similar as well, very bony up top but I have thighs and a booty so it is very deceptive. I am also almost 5'8" and currently 137#. Just ignore them.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    First of all... Let me start by saying you look good. People are never happy. So just be happy with yourself and do what makes you happy as long as its not hurting you or anyone else.

Second. THIS sounds just like whats going on with me. I've always been condemned for being "too skinny," even though I eat like a horse. IM tired of it. I'm like F** it.. as long as I'm happy all I care. So I set out to lose what I thought are my problem areas.

I've always had skinny arms and legs and find it hard to gain weight in those areas. AND my fat was all my mid section. MY tummy, back, boobs, etc. really really fat.. like 20lbs of fat .. I lost 25 lbs since January and it has been MOSTLY from my mid section. But of course fat can't be targeted so I have also lost some in the face, neck, etc.. Now that just makes me look thinner and friends and family are like, "wow you are way too skinny." BUT the fact remains I have always been skinny just not where it counts.

AND besides that..doctors say that women who have most of their FAT in their mid section are most at risk for heart problems. So I had to get rid of it. And so did you. So don't be discouraged. Do what feels right to you. AND people will complain and be concerned, sometimes they mean no harm by it, but its something that you just have to kinda get passed. And just know that not all people will be as understanding as those who live and work for a fit and healthy lifestyle.

Great job on your weight loss.. Keep up the good work. :wink:
  • mysnailshell
    mysnailshell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You are at the lower end of healthy normal BMI.

It wouldn't hurt if you put on a few pounds, but if you are comfortable and healthy where you are no need to.

More exercise/toning will help with your proportions.

Looking at your profile, I do wonder how fast you lost the weight, and what/how much you are eating.

If you are eating enough healthy food and otherwise healthy and taking care of your self, I wouldn't worry too much about what others say. They are used to seeing you one way, and it'll take them awhile to adapt to the new you.

I lost the bulk of my weight in late August of 2011 through April/May of 2012. It was fairly steady loss along the way, and since May I've lost another 15 or so pounds, at a much slower pace. I eat a little bit of everything; I don't restrict myself at all, I just eat smaller portions of the things I love. I am a really picky eater, but I still eat one large meal and one small meal with lots of snacking in between throughout the day. I am a Smart Ones/Lean Cuisine addict. XD I don't have a strict eating routine, and I have a lot of cheat days and zig-zagging calories but I've never had problems doing that. My metabolism is a thing of wonder! I've also started taking a multivitamin in the past month or so because I was having fainting spells off and on a few months ago. I had blood tests and everything came back completely normal, but I figured it couldn't hurt. My fainting spells are also the reason I've stopped smoking and I'm also trying to reduce my caffeine intake. I have a panic disorder as well, which could be the cause of the fainting spells, but I just figured I should go big or go home. I'm doing this for my health, so I might as well really go for it. Regular exercise is the obvious next step, I suppose, I've just been to lazy to make a schedule for myself.
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    shucks to them

its your body, get it to where you feel comfortable
  • Missmsg
    Options
    People may think you are too thin because they see and remember your old size. So you may be too thin to them as they may compare you to your previous weight but you look great!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting smoking!!!!!!!! That's tremendous!

It's very common for people who've lost weight to have ambivalent feelings about their bodies. I'd even say it's the norm. It's good you've decided to switch focus to working out (I only skimmed; hope you mean lifting, as that will make the difference, and will be a constructive place to use and focus your feelings towards, hopefully, a different kind of appreciation for your body.

Re your family: I saw my mom the other day. I've been maintaining for over a year, and she's still not used to seeing me 'this thin'. In addition to whatever projection and comparing type stuff happens, I think it's also simply jarring People have a mental image of you, and you're not that way now. It will change :)
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    lifting, lifting, lifting!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    You look great!
    Maybe they have forgotten what a healthy female looks like?
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    People often tell me I am too thin and not to lose more weight. I think it is mostly more about them than me.

However, I am using BMI as my judge in case my perception of myself is off- I won't go below a healthy BMI. I am also trying to focus more now on body fat % and looking strong and healthy rather than just weight and being thin.

Good luck.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    if that's you in profile photo, you're not too thin, don't worry
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that I think you are adorable and I love your hair!! And I love your outfit also.

Everyone else gave great advice, especially about eating at maintenance and lifting weights.
  • strongandhealthy78
    strongandhealthy78 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I would go to your medical doctor and check in with them. I would then probably see a nutritionist and a personal trainer. I've really enjoyed working with a trained pilates personal trainer using a reformer. It has been an incredible addition to my cardio and it focuses almost ALL on the core body (tummy especially). All the best.
    Alright, I have a question I want to ask but I feel like it requires a little bit of background info. I started my weight loss journey in August of 2011. I am 23 years old, 5'8, and I started at around 208 pounds. Since that time I have lost a little over 70 pounds, mostly through calorie counting but also with the off and on help of a treadmill. My lowest weight was 131, and my current weight is between 133-135.

My grandmother, who is a nurse, and other family members & friends have recently expressed concern that I look too thin and should stop losing, or even possibly gain some weight back. The thing is, my weight is still concentrated in my mid-section. I still have a bit of a tummy and thicker thighs, but my arms and legs look like sticks, I have no breasts AT ALL, and I can count the bones in my chest. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I am bigger boned, if that matters.

I suppose I'm just looking for opinions at this point. I don't like discussing my weight with anyone I know IRL because it feels too personal and almost embarrassing. I hope this sort of post is appropriate, because I'm starting to feel desperate. This is the first post that I've made on this website, and I've been wanting to make it for a few weeks now but I've been too afraid. So, hello. And what do you guys think I should do? The idea of gaining weight back after all the hard work I've put in is just terrifying to me and I'm reluctant to go that route, but it's starting to look like my only option for purely health reasons.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I think you've done an awesome job to get where you are at now. If you gain muscle, your weight will go up, but it will only add definition and not make you look big. If you did exercises for all of your muscle groups, maybe your family will not comment so much because your arms and legs will look a little stronger, and you would probably lose inches on your tummy and thighs as well. I think you should give it a go, and just ease yourself into a new routine by trying out different activities and finding something that you enjoy :)