what next after couch to 5K?

Options
Once this program is complete, I intend to run a 5K but there are still a few months before I sign up. What do I do in between? Continue to run 30 minutes or increase the run time? My speed is slow. I intend staying that way for a while. Any guesses?

Replies

• Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    sorry for the double posts.
  • snoman47
    Options
    I saw a program on site for running. Based on that you should increase weekly and alternate between jogging and walking until 5K time. If I rembemer correctly the training program was for twenty weeks.
  • Hopey1994
    Options
    I intend on working on my speed once I complete the program. Tomorrow is my last day of week 6 and I'm barely running a 12 minute mile. Or you could start training for a 10 k or 1/2 marathon so that the 5k is like a training session. Congrats on completing the program, that's truly something to be proud of!

Edited to add something else (misread OP)
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Bump -- I just finished a couple weeks ago and I'm struggling with working on my speed. I'm trying sprints, intervals with 2 run speeds, and incline on the treadmill but I kind of feel like I'm standing still. Maybe I'm just being impatient.

I want to work on longer distances and plan to start gateway to 8k soon, but I wanted to build my speed a little first because I'm running a (comfortable) 45 minute 5k here (part of the excuse is that I'm short). :laugh: