Cutting foods out of your diet?

Options
I have lost 24 lbs so far and still eat pasta, rice and bread. The only thing now is, I will have pasta or rice once a week and bread is something that I eat everyday.

Can someone break down the info on what bread is good for you? I eat whole wheat and whole grain. I am unsure which is better for you or if both are bad and there is something better?

I want to begin utilizing potatoes, but what is the healthiest way to make them? I love oven roasted potato's but I am unsure what's best. I'm sure anyway you make them will be fine as long as a buncha gunk isn't added.

Are there any other foods you have dropped that have made a difference? OR habits you have picked up to help with weight loss and becoming healthier?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Look at the ingredients on your bread - somethings marked as "whole wheat/grain" are fibbing. So look for the word "whole" in the ingredient - i.e. whole oats - or something to that nature.

I've heard potatoes are healthier when cooked in their skins - but over classic potatoes I REALLY suggest eating sweet potatoes. They are fabulous and soooooo good for you, and have lots of wonderful things in them to make a woman's body happy.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    *grabs the popcorn*
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about getting nutrition from bread as much as I worry about the calories. I'd rather use low calorie bread (100-120 calories for two slices) and get my calories from the meat and cheese in my sandwich. It allows me to make a pretty good size sandwich and it still remains low in calories.

As for pasta and rice, those are still in my diet as well. When you make pasta, simply create a recipe here in MFP of all the ingredients you put into it. Divide the finished product into portions and divide the total calories by the amount of portions. I don't worry about carbs. There is no way I'm going to last long if I eliminate them from my diet. Carbs aren't causing me to exceed my calorie goal, and I'm getting plenty of protein in my diet.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about getting nutrition from bread as much as I worry about the calories. I'd rather use low calorie bread (100-120 calories for two slices) and get my calories from the meat and cheese in my sandwich. It allows me to make a pretty good size sandwich and it still remains low in calories.

As for pasta and rice, those are still in my diet as well. When you make pasta, simply create a recipe here in MFP of all the ingredients you put into it. Divide the finished product into portions and divide the total calories by the amount of portions. I don't worry about carbs. There is no way I'm going to last long if I eliminate them from my diet. Carbs aren't causing me to exceed my calorie goal, and I'm getting plenty of protein in my diet.

This is pretty much what I was going to say. I eat the whole grain sugar free bread because it's low calorie, though, now when I eat white bread it just is mushy to me. I buy whole grain pasta because it's lower in calories too, though some people don't like the taste. As long as you are eating a generally balanced diet (usually referenced as 80% whole foods, 20% whatever you like) it all kind of falls into place.

There are a few things that I don't really eat any more, like pastries and donuts for breakfast, just because I don't want to waste the calories on them. If I REALLY wanted them though, I wouldn't not eat them because of the carbs/sugar in them, I would just only eat one (or maybe two). Basically, this all comes down to having a balance and if you can find where your sweet spot is, the little things don't matter as much.
  • KipDrordy
    Options

This is pretty much what I was going to say. I eat the whole grain sugar free bread because it's low calorie, though, now when I eat white bread it just is mushy to me. I buy whole grain pasta because it's lower in calories too, though some people don't like the taste. As long as you are eating a generally balanced diet (usually referenced as 80% whole foods, 20% whatever you like) it all kind of falls into place.

There are a few things that I don't really eat any more, like pastries and donuts for breakfast, just because I don't want to waste the calories on them. If I REALLY wanted them though, I wouldn't not eat them because of the carbs/sugar in them, I would just only eat one (or maybe two). Basically, this all comes down to having a balance and if you can find where your sweet spot is, the little things don't matter as much.
    I've eliminated those too. I just haven't been able to find a way to fit them in. They're way too damaging to the calorie count and screws up the rest of my day. If I'm to eat something like that, it's on a day where I'm taking off. I had two huge brownies last weekend and I didn't even attempt to figure the calories out. I was on a men's retreat and allowed myself a few days of garbage. I figured out most of what I ate and the numbers were shocking. Breakfast teetering on 1000 calories alone. Easy to see how I got fat in the first place.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have lost 24 lbs so far and still eat pasta, rice and bread. The only thing now is, I will have pasta or rice once a week and bread is something that I eat everyday.

Can someone break down the info on what bread is good for you? I eat whole wheat and whole grain. I am unsure which is better for you or if both are bad and there is something better?

I want to begin utilizing potatoes, but what is the healthiest way to make them? I love oven roasted potato's but I am unsure what's best. I'm sure anyway you make them will be fine as long as a buncha gunk isn't added.

Are there any other foods you have dropped that have made a difference? OR habits you have picked up to help with weight loss and becoming healthier?

Thanks in advance!

Bread - Freshly baked is best, whole wheat is really not significantly any better than white bread
    Potatoes - Slice up, par boil them, dry them, toss them in duck fat and salt, roast @450 till golden brown
  • butterflyqueen1984
    butterflyqueen1984 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I eat Soya and Linseed bread this is because I tend to feel fuller for longer and to me it doesn't feel as heavy on the stomach. I suffer from IBS and white bread makes me bloat but the soya and linseed one is much fuller and not many calories in each slice. I think you should go with whatever suits you, there is no right or wrong. Good luck!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I've eliminated those too. I just haven't been able to find a way to fit them in. They're way too damaging to the calorie count and screws up the rest of my day. If I'm to eat something like that, it's on a day where I'm taking off. I had two huge brownies last weekend and I didn't even attempt to figure the calories out. I was on a men's retreat and allowed myself a few days of garbage. I figured out most of what I ate and the numbers were shocking. Breakfast teetering on 1000 calories alone. Easy to see how I got fat in the first place.

Exactly. On my days off, I still track but I don't let the end number bother me. It usually evens out to maintenance so I'm still not eating like I was before, but I don't deny myself pizza, pastries and fried stuff when I want them. It keeps me sane and gives me some relaxation before I reign it in again for the next week. Down 62 pounds doesn't hurt either.
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I eliminated meat. I was my gateway food for bingeing.
  • green_owl
    green_owl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    there is nothing good about bread....
    i'm cutting out all grains(anything made of wheat, rice, corn etc), potatoes and sugar. that means i can eat veggies as much as i like :)
  • KipDrordy
    Options

Exactly. On my days off, I still track but I don't let the end number bother me. It usually evens out to maintenance so I'm still not eating like I was before, but I don't deny myself pizza, pastries and fried stuff when I want them. It keeps me sane and gives me some relaxation before I reign it in again for the next week. Down 62 pounds doesn't hurt either.

You keyed on something important - maintenance. We should all be well aware of where our maintenance lines reside and use them as a secondary goal for when we bust our diet budget. If being bad means being around maintenance, then I don't mind being bad once in a while. If I'm in deficit five out of seven days and at maintenance the other two, I'm still going to lose. I just want to make sure I'm not over maintenance more than on occasion, which so far hasn't been a problem at all. Congrats on those 62 lbs.
  • sholubik
    Options
    I like sweet potatoes with a light coating of olive oil, garlic and dill. Cut them into bite size chunks and cook at 375f for 25-30 minutes. Yum!
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Look for whole-grain breads (whole-wheat and multi-grain do NOT mean whole-grain, it's marketing-speak). Coarsely ground grains with more of the bran, and grains other than just wheat. Sourdough breads are also digested slower, thus spiking blood sugar less.
  • TiffanyCza
    TiffanyCza Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much! I have kinda narrowed it down to seeing that the carbs aren't hurting me, it's all in moderation and I am still losing weight. I will definitely look into breads more carefully. Thank youuu!