Looking For Quite Specific UK Friends

Options
Hi there,

I've been using MFP for a while now, but before that, I was a user of Weight Loss Resources (WLR).

I find MFP to be superior in nearly every way but one thing that I do miss is that the forums on WLR had a weigh-in section, and it used to be a good source of support for me. I could encourage others who'd not done so well in any given week, and others would help me when it was my turn to be in that boat.

I find that MFP's forums are more broader, and as a result, harder to keep a track of. So I was thinking about trying to find some like-minded friends and supporting each other that way.

But as I've recently opened up my diary, and as I've generally kept my friends list down to just a handful of people on here who I know in real life, I thought I'd try to find as much in common with the new friends as possible so that the support is more genuine and likely to be sustainable. If that makes sense?

So, what I'm looking for is friends who:

☺ Are in the UK (just so that we're likely to be awake and doing things at similar times of the day)

☺ Aren't diary nazis who bang on about fruit and veg intake and nag and lecture about water. I know that nutrition is important but I also believe that people should be free to spend their calories in any way they enjoy and feel works best for them.

☺ Aren't absolutely obsessed about exercise. Again, I know it's a good thing to do but I'm the first to admit that I'm quite lazy. If you want to exercise - great stuff - but I wouldn't want to be made to feel bad about not doing.

☺ Weigh-in on a Friday morning. I know this might sound like a strange thing to be looking for, but that's when I do my weekly weigh-in and it's then that I'd be looking to see how my friends have done, and help and comment in the same way as I would have done when I was a member of WLR.

☺ Have a sense of humour and don't take life too seriously. My updates are normally taking the piss out of myself or having a whine about my lard-consuming tendencies.

☺ Are at a similar stage as I'm at and with a similar outlook and set of goals. I'm a 36-year-old guy who's been a lot heavier and also a lot lighter than I am at the moment, and right now I'm around 13½ stone but want to be between 12 and 12½ stone - but just lately I really seem to be struggling to stick to things. I think it's because I've been calorie counting for so long now that I'm cutting too many corners and forgetting simple basics.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. And sorry if I come across like someone being really nitpicky - it isn't my intention. I just know that there are thousands upon thousands of MFP users out there, and yet I'm sure there'll be some people who match what I'm looking for and hopefully we can help each other out here and there :-)

Thanks for reading :-)

Replies

• Annaminus20
    Options
    Sounds familiar! Am not the UK but Amsterdam so that's only 1 hour difference. I am looking to lose about 1,5 stone (am 13,5 now) by New Years.
  • Jim_1960
    Jim_1960 Posts: 399
    Options
    Like it, feel free to add.
  • madlittleoldme
    Options
    heh feel free to add me ....today i have not been lazy but somedays i just aspire to be a sloth :P
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    So close - I weigh Mondays tho.... sorry. Good luck to you tho :)
  • juncture
    juncture Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I think I fit most of those, feel free to judge whether I do or not and if I do send me a request.

I'm in the UK, I very rarely make comments about fruit/veg and water and when I do it's because it's something I've noticed over a long period of time and am concerned for the person, I exercise sometimes but am not as good as I'd like to be!

I nearly always weigh-in on a Friday morning, only exceptions being if I can't get to the scale that morning (my partner's scales aren't very accurate so I don't trust them!), I like to think I have a sense of humour :P

And as far as being in a similar place I'm about 14st at the moment and aiming to get to 11st 7lbs and have had a few ups and downs in my weight in the past few years :)
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    sounds pretty much spot on, feel free to add :)
  • levstein
    Options
    Hi
    I think I fit in with your tight agenda. You didn't mention anything about age phew! I weigh every Friday morning exercise most days but I'm not into gyms climbing the Munros running or training to run a marathon.I'm trying to get fit and healthy not put myself in an early grave. I've a great sense of humour well I think I'm funny anyway. I don't preach to people about eating fruit & veg & drinking gallons of water. So add me and we'll see how it goes you can always unfriend me if I break your rules lol Oh and I have 22 lbs left to lose and we could compete against each other hah bit of motivation for you to stop slacking lol
  • juicy_cat
    juicy_cat Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Great post....Hope you get some new appropriate buddies...am particularly amused at the comments re nagging...there are some proper righteous buggers on here aren't there??
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I think I tick most of your boxes, my "official" weigh in is Saturday, but I am one of those sad sods who weigh every day, so Friday is easily fitted in

I do eat fruit & veg, but do not care if you want to consume burgers & pints of beer, your life & goals and how you get there is down to you. I have the occasional "sod it" day out and consume way too much food & drink

My exercise is walking to the shops, plus around 15 minutes light back muscles strengthening from physio, certainly never break into a sweat

I like the idea of self mocking, and certainly reckon some on mfp could do with a bit more humour [or mostly humor]

Add me if I sort of fit

PS, my goal wieght is also around 12 to 12 1/2 stone, like you once Iwas 11 1/2 stones, but I looked awful and gaunt at that weight
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hi, add me if you like! I am new to this, and am looking to lose a stone. I hate exercise which doesn't help.. I am UK based, and like to think I have a sense of humour!
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Not nitpicky at all - feel free to add me, although I recently have launched myself back at my gym and have natters with the regulars now (instead of that embarrassed shuffle averting eye contact that you start off doing... )
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you like. I weigh everyday as I use the Wii, so Fridays is no prob to update. I'm in the UK and live pretty near Manchester - Hebden Bridge.

I've pretty done with my weight loss for now, but I have lost 1.5 stone or thereabouts, and I didn't change my diet hugely (just portion size mainly), or even change my exercise. I do run, but again I'm don't go around measuring my HRM and doing PBs in marathons! And I continued drinking beer throughout my dieting - maybe that's why it took me 7 months!
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on Mondays and I'm only 20, but everything else you've stated is fine by me :smile: Also from the UK, feel free to add
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm in the UK! Friday weigh-er and I often forget to even log my water, so you won't get any nagging from me, as long as you don't point out how much gin is in my diary at the weekends :drinker:

Looking to lose 1.5 stone too, *try* to exercise 3 x a week but if i don't you'll probably see a status update telling myself off (but not necessarily actually getting up and doing it!)

Add if you like!x
  • clarewellfair29
    clarewellfair29 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me, and anyone else in the UK :)
  • wildflower0872
    Options
    Scottish lass - happy to be added by anyone who feels I'm their cup of tea! Lost around a stone in my two months... not beating myself to death with the discipline, just keeping a watchful eye on what I'm doing.

Would love a bit of light hearted banter with a bit of sarcy wit thrown in.

I have started exercising, bit of swimming, yoga, weights... still have my jaffa cakes!

Add me if you like the cut of my jib!

Peace out! :-)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    You narrowed it down by your word count alone.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    ☺ Are in the UK :heart:
    ☺ Aren't diary nazis :heart:
    ☺ Aren't absolutely obsessed about exercise. :ohwell:
    ☺ Weigh-in on a Friday morning. :ohwell:
    ☺ Have a sense of humour and don't take life too seriously. :heart:
    ☺ Are at a similar stage as I'm at and with a similar outlook and set of goals. :ohwell:

All I look for is people that are active, comment on stuff and don't disappear for days on end :drinker:

My diary is open. have a look at it or my profile and add me if you want :smokin:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK, age 35, looking to lose about a stone now (have lost over 3 already). I don't take myself seriously, and although I do exercise a lot, I don't care what other people do!

I don't weigh myself Fri mornings though! I work every other Fri, and since I weigh myself at the gym, that's not possible! I weigh myself on a Sat morning instead before aerobics.