Shoe inserts

Options
I am a runner and I am running in my first marathon sunday. My knees have been starting to hurt during my runs. I think it's because I need new shoes but i know it's bad to wear new shoes on a long run. I need to purchase some shoe inserts. What would the best kind to use? Thank you and happy Friday!

Replies

• charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    bump! I've also been thinking about inserts...would like to know what others think.
  • Eeyores
    Eeyores Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Dr Scholls at walmart you step on that machine and it matches the right size to your feet.. they are comfy .. but somewhat expensive... I loved mine... but when i returned a new pair of boots to a boot factory by mail, i forgot to take my fav inserts out! Have not been able to replace yet.. : )
  • Jaywass72
    Jaywass72 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Go to a shoe store for just runners. They specialize in fitting the right shoe for you stride. They will make sure you get the right insert! It is a little on the pricey side but your joints will thank you!!
  • lel76
    lel76 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've just bought some Scholls as I suffer from plantar fasciitis through high BMI and running. They feel good already so I would recommend the brand!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    No doubt in my mind, after trying many - Sole Dean Karnazes! I've been using them in all of my running shoes for four years - took care of my PF.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Nothing like waiting to the last minute! :) Ok, I'm done scolding...

If you can, go to a running store where they will do a gait analysis -- you can pick up your new shoes there, too, but you're right, you probably don't want to run 26 miles in brand spanking new shoes. Unfortunately, the same can be said of inserts, too - just not as bad.

Anyway, they will recommend a good insert for you that you can then transfer into your new shoes once you start breaking them in. I have SuperFeet because I need arch support more than stability. Any good insert is going to make you blink when you find out how much they cost... I spent on my inserts the same as I used to spend on shoes - before I knew better. But you can't skimp on your dogs or they'll bite you bad.