Increase in leg cramps since dieting

Options
Hi,

I've been controlling calories for 4 weeks now and have noticed an increase in the amount of leg cramps I get!

I have previously torn the muscle in question but didnt have problems before the diet. I eat lots of fruit and vegetables so shouldnt be lacking in anything.

Can anyone suggest anything else that may cause an increase in cramps? Or has anyone had the same problem?

Thanks

D :)

Replies

• Susanthecatwhisperer
    Options
    I sometimes get terrible leg cramps. My aunt swears by Tonic Water with QUININE for leg cramps. I tried it, and HATED the taste. I found some tablets at a health food store "Leg Cramps with QUININE". They're kind of chalky with a little sweetness that dissolve under the tongue. They work really well! ALSO, make sure you're getting plenty of water. Dehydration can cause muscle cramping. Best of luck! I hope this helps. :wink:
  • allie3006
    Options
    try eating more foods with potassium, like potatoes, bananas
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    Eat a banana. Seriously - leg cramps are usually caused by low potassium. I eat a banana when my legs start to feel tight, and they loosen up within a day or two. If I dont catch it quick enough, I have to eat one for a few days...

This is something I have battled since I was 15. More water and a banana always work for me.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    try eating more foods with potassium, like potatoes, bananas

^^^

When I get leg cramps, I usually find that I am low in potassium.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I second the potassium rich foods, and make sure you are drinking enough water, dehydration can cause leg cramps too.
  • hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Take a daily supplement that includes iron, increase water intake and avoid salt and caffeine
  • shinesheena
    shinesheena Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Leg cramps are due to lactic acid build ups in muscles... yeah they are more frequent when we are trying to loose weight .... once your body is in rhythm and accepts the diet changes and work out sessions, the cramps get over... till then include potassium rich foods in your daily diet... u can also try potassium supplements... :smile:
  • Lucy57linda
    Options
    The tonic water with Quinne or pills really work. I have :flowerforyou:
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Drink some pickle juice, sounds gross but it seriously helps. My tennis coach used to keep some in our training room for cramps after matches, works like a charm.
  • hunkycanuck
    hunkycanuck Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Low sodium vegetable juice like V8 are very high in potassium. I was shocked when I first looked at my diaries to see how low my potassium intake was. I started eating potassium rich foods like swiss chard and tomato soups and things like that. Now I get my daily amount.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I drink tonic water and now hardly ever get leg/calf cramps, they used to be so painful and could happen at any time! My doctor told me about the small amount of quinine helping cramps. I also have very little salt (800mg or less daily) but eat dried apricots, bananas and drink coconut water to increase my potassium levels. I still drink tonic water, usually with a shot of gin in!
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I used to get HORRIBLE nochturnal leg cramps until I got pregnant. Now, I rarely get them. What worked best was quinine pills from the doctor, and valium. The quinine is horrid, even in pill form. Plus you have to be careful, there are warnings on it.

Potassium and hydration are the key. Bananas worked for me, but if you're following a low carb plan, they are not ideal. Here is a list of other potassium rich foods:

Winter squash, cubed, 1 cup, cooked: 896 mg
    Sweet potato, medium, baked with skin: 694 mg
    Potato, medium, baked with skin: 610 mg
    White beans, canned, drained, half cup: 595 mg
    Yogurt, fat-free, 1 cup: 579 mg
    Halibut, 3 ounces, cooked: 490 mg
    100% orange juice, 8 ounces: 496 mg
    Broccoli, 1 cup, cooked: 457 mg
    Cantaloupe, cubed, 1 cup: 431 mg
    Banana, 1 medium: 422 mg
    Pork tenderloin, 3 ounces, cooked: 382 mg
    Lentils, half cup, cooked: 366 mg
    Milk, 1% low fat, 8 ounces: 366 mg
    Salmon, farmed Atlantic, 3 ounces, cooked: 326 mg
    Pistachios, shelled, 1 ounce, dry roasted: 295 mg
    Raisins, quarter cup: 250 mg
    Chicken breast, 3 ounces, cooked: 218 mg
    Tuna, light, canned, drained, 3 ounces: 201 mg

Also, are you stretching out AFTER exercising? That is how I ward off cramps now. I stretch for 5-10 minutes after I run.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Please be careful with the Quinine:
    http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/08/news/la-heb-fda-quinine-qualaquin-cramps-20100708
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000648/

Are you getting the leg cramps at night, or just any time of day, or after intense exercise/sweating a lot?

I also 2nd the Pickle juice. I drink it before bed when I know I'll probably get cramps in my sleep (after a lot of running/sweating). For me it's usually when my electrolytes are low (esp sodium and/or potassium).
  • been285
    been285 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    R U keeping up with your rehab stretchs and such ???

sorry ,,, my wife has had mystery leg cramps for years.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    A) Potassium
    B) Calcium
    C) Stretch

low Potassium and/or calcium can cause this. The pickle juice helps in the moment, why I can't tell you, but it does. I noticed I was getting a lot of leg cramps at night the first couple of months. When I went in for a blood draw my potassium was good but close to low and calcium was VERY low. My doctor asked me if I was experiencing muscle cramping and told me these two nutrients being low were the cause. I have to take calcium supplements now (my body doesn't absorb enough through what I eat, longer story than needed here) and have noticed they rarely happen unless I don't stretch enough before/after my workout.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    you need more potassium. a banana will fix it. i get them when my potassium levels are low. banana fixes the problem for me.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    When potassium doesn't work get some magnesium - magnesium oil spray on the affected muscles works well.