Tonight I am hungry :(

Options
I have 6 calories left for today - I know we are rated 500 cals under etc by MFP but I really really try to stick to my daily allotted calories and for weeks and weeks it's been fine.

Tonight I am sitting here in front of the TV with the family, laptop on my lap and I don't usually snack eat but I am HUNGRY. I have eaten well throughout the day, my normal foods... I think it's just a ... I don't even know why because I'm not usually a snack food eater either. :(

I just seem to want food tonight. And copious amounts by how my stomach is GROWLING at me!!!

Replies

• cncrafton
    cncrafton Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat. Make a healthy choice…or don't. One night is not going to mess anything up, especially if you stay under maintenance. Your body is asking to be fed - please listen. :)
  • samarlow
    samarlow Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I believe that you should eat if you are hungry. Just make it a healthy satisfying snack. Your body is in need of something or it wouldn't be growling at you.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    Have a small and healthy snack! 100 calories or so will not make or break your weight loss.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    That happened to me last night.... so I got up and made a bowl of yogurt and granola and bananas..... yummy !! When I am hungry I eat...not junk but good food.... your body is talking to you, you need to listen.

Losing weight does not mean you go hungry....ever
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Celery=negative calories right? Meaning the body uses more calories digesting the food than whats actually in it.
  • NomNomCupcakes
    NomNomCupcakes Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Eat some fresh fruit or veggies or a string cheese! If you go over a little it won't hurt esp if it's a good snacking choice!
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I was like that last night, in the end I ut went to bed and lay there miserable until I fell asleep *sigh*
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Also - start with a big glass of cold water. You might not be all that hungry afterward... if you are still hungry: EAT!
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I was like that last night, in the end I ut went to bed and lay there miserable until I fell asleep *sigh*

aww hunni that's not right!!! I posted this in a way to give myself permission to push it over a little just this once. It's really silly I know because I shouldn't need permission to eat if I feel hungry, but I don't want to sabotage my good work either by feeling 'weak' willed.

You shouldn't go to be bed hungry and miserable and you have convinced me that maybe tonight I need a little extra on the calorie count. x

Time to raid the fridge for celery sticks I think (oh my goodness what a cliche!!)
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm going to differ from the general consensus..Don't eat. If you can restrain yourself and not eat, you'll feel better for it in the morning. I strongly suspect this late night "I'm hungry" pangs after you're eaten well during the day is simply your body acting like a two year old "But I usually have more than this" it doesn't need more (not if you've been consistantly eating well, not under eating) it's just used to having more. Don't give in. It's a craving and it will pass. If you still feel hungry tomorrow, then have extra then, but chances are, if you don't give in, you will feel normal again in the morning...
  • texachicky
    Options
    I feel your hunger pains! =( I just started back up with MFP this week. It takes my body/stomach 2weeks to get used to eating healthier (no McDonalds). My 'magic' food is a cucumber. It's practically no calories and VERY filling. I make a cucumber 'salad.' 1/2 a cucumber (I forget the calories) + spray salad dressing (10 calories) + 1/2 serving of sunflower seeds (90 calories). I will chow down on this if I'm starving. Better yet, I make early in the day and nibble on it throughout the day whenever I start to feel hungry, plus guzzle water. I try to not let myself get too hungry, this is when I cheat.
  • cdpark617
    cdpark617 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm going to differ from the general consensus..Don't eat. If you can restrain yourself and not eat, you'll feel better for it in the morning. I strongly suspect this late night "I'm hungry" pangs after you're eaten well during the day is simply your body acting like a two year old "But I usually have more than this" it doesn't need more (not if you've been consistantly eating well, not under eating) it's just used to having more. Don't give in. It's a craving and it will pass. If you still feel hungry tomorrow, then have extra then, but chances are, if you don't give in, you will feel normal again in the morning...
    Good posting...

I think listening to our bodies is what got many of us here in the first place.
  • SycReid
    SycReid Posts: 14
    Options
    Blah. I'm a pretty hungry as well. But I'm already over 180 cal on my allowed calories per day. I guess water will do at the moment. C:
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't often have nightime cravings as I've worked in two snacks into the meal plan in order to try to avoid this oh-so-common pitfall.

For those occasions when I really need something to eat due to inexplacable hunger pangs, I eat fruit-usually plums. Having low-cal snack options which are high bulk really helps sometimes I make some steamed cauliflower and put a bit of vinegar on it to keep in the fridge.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry eat!!! I always do just choose something healthy. I don't think having a nutritious snack even if you are over calories is going to hurt anything. Listen to your body!!
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I eat well during the day, too but I always tend to want some type of snack around 8-9pm. I do start to feel a little hungry at that time so I deliberatelt leave myself at least 100 calories by the end of the night. I plan all 3 meals and snacks the night before so If i see whatever I planned doesnt leave me that little something extra by the end of the day I tweak my meals. Instead of eating a whole sweet potato with lunch I'll eat half. Instead of 121 calories for half a cup of rice with my dinner I'll double up on my veggies, etc..... This way at night when I am relaxing I can have a snack. I usually go for those singel serve bags of microwave popcorn for 100 calories. It takes me a while to eat the bag and I actually feel like I am eating a real snack.
  • msnutrigal
    msnutrigal Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My two cents: My fitness pall recommends you get 55% of your intake from Carbohydrates (fruit, veg, GRAINS). When you're carb intake is that high (only recommended for 20 somethings who are active) then your insulin is too high. What this means is that every time you EAT you are spiking your insulin which automatically stores a large number of those calories you just ate as fat ...there by making you feel like you didn't really eat. Eating grains every time you eat will just perpetuate this cycle.

If you are hungry eat a high protein snack with little carb...IE apple + almond butter, or oz of orgainc cheese, or 1/2 cup greek yogurt with handful blue berries.

My suggestion would be to change your settings to lower your over all carbohydrate intake (READ less wheat and that means whole wheat too and grains) more real fruit veg and CLEAN PROTEIN.)

Health Canada recommends no less than 45% carbohydrate. I recommend my clients eat anywhere from 35-45% carbohydrate with plenty of clean protein and healthy fat.

This video will explain the Insulin connection. This is very real and I think that Myfitness pal is a little behind in the science.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Best,

kelly
  • Lahai
    Lahai Posts: 5
    Options
    2 cups of light microwave popcorn= appx 50 calories, add a glass of water & you are no longer hungry.
  • msbunnie68
    Options
    Thank you for all your responses. It's nice to have a bit of support now and then.

I do know i have eaten well today, with 2 heathy snacks built in.

I think this is a stress reaction - we had our 3 month rental inspection today, ( we are renting while we build our new house) and renting where I am in Western Australia is a nightmare. We have a property inspection every 12 weeks where the requirement list includes things like gardens weeded and lawns mowed, windows washed inside and out, cobwebs removed, oven and rangehood cleaned, floors swept, vacuumed and mopped, doors wiped, cupboards wiped inside and out, door frames dusted and wiped, ceiling vents and fans wiped, etc. These things are all chores you would do normally but not all at once in the same cleaning week.

Maybe I have been cleaning my butt off and my body has caught up?

Anyway, starting off with the glass of cold water to see if I am really hungry or if I am stress eating.
  • msbunnie68
    Options
    My two cents: My fitness pall recommends you get 55% of your intake from Carbohydrates (fruit, veg, GRAINS). When you're carb intake is that high (only recommended for 20 somethings who are active) then your insulin is too high. What this means is that every time you EAT you are spiking your insulin which automatically stores a large number of those calories you just ate as fat ...there by making you feel like you didn't really eat. Eating grains every time you eat will just perpetuate this cycle.

If you are hungry eat a high protein snack with little carb...IE apple + almond butter, or oz of orgainc cheese, or 1/2 cup greek yogurt with handful blue berries.

My suggestion would be to change your settings to lower your over all carbohydrate intake (READ less wheat and that means whole wheat too and grains) more real fruit veg and CLEAN PROTEIN.)

Health Canada recommends no less than 45% carbohydrate. I recommend my clients eat anywhere from 35-45% carbohydrate with plenty of clean protein and healthy fat.

This video will explain the Insulin connection. This is very real and I think that Myfitness pal is a little behind in the science.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Best,

kelly

Thank you Kelly. I do have my protein/carbs/fat set at 40/40/20. I can't really go lower than that as although I am not diabetic or insulin resistant we have found that I get faint and dizzy if I go any lower in carbs, resulting in rather spectacular faceplants when my engine tells me it's empty. Doc thinks I am sensitive to lower blood sugar and I usually have a fast metabolism. Too many carbs and I am like a sugar junkie on a high. It's ridiculous!! I am thinking the apple might be the way to go if the water doesn't make my body rethink it's growling.

We don't do very many processed foods in my house - haven't done so for around 10 years since one of my children was found to have a nut allery. It also rules out almond milks and butters too as there is the chance she will mistake them for something she can have. Regular nuts are ok as she can instantly see they are nuts and not to eat them.