Any Of You Engineers?

Options
trevpimp
trevpimp Posts: 170 Member
Hey I'm going to be attending college in January, ha vacationed a whole year
And I am deciding to major in engineering and it would be nice if I can get some feedback
From engineers and see how they like their careers.

So like if u can explain to me what's the most best thing about the career and least

Replies

• SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    Hey. I majored in civil engineering, specializing in transportation. When I graduated, I starting working for a firm that did transporation impact studies for new development or redevelopment. Turns out I didn't like it at all. There was too much writing and not enough calculations. Perhaps I would have liked it better if I had gone for a postiion that designed transporation infrastructure. In any event, that lead me to a new position with a different engineering firm doing project controls and reporting. I loved the change. I'm totally a data nerd.
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I studied mechanical. I didn't mind the math, but what I did find out is that I'm not at all into design or other computer-oriented stuff. I had an awesome job in college though, doing maintenance and upgrades on various machinery. My favorite thing about mechanical is hydraulics and all of the fun math behind that (favorite class was fluid dynamics, of course). I didn't much care for the computer classes. I loved my job, but I know I'd never be happy in just a desk job without ever getting my hands dirty or at least getting out of the office! A lot of engineers do become desk jockeys, though.
  • shireengool
    shireengool Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I studied civil engineering, and it was toooooo much for me, i still dont know how did i manage to graduate, too much science in there :bigsmile: I started working in construction and i loved it, seeing your buildings rise high in the sky is a great joy, then i moved to telecom sector and i am loving it too, but too much to do in always too short time, so a lot of stress and pressure.
    Studies were tough, but work is far better.

My advice for you, you may not need all the information you study now in your future job, but it will be very bad if you need it and you dont remember it or you dont know it, so take your studies seriously and keep your books and important notes. I didnt focus on all subjects and now I really wish i did.

Good Luck
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I graduated from civil engineering about 17 years ago and have worked everywhere from the department of transportation, private firms, and municipal government where I am now. For the private firms, I was doing new developments, as in the design of new subdivisions, commercial & industrial subdivisions, designing sewers & watermains for said developments. Now for the municipal government I review development application and provide comments on severances, variances, etc.

Engineering can be rewarding, but it can sometimes be a little stale if you get into a company that isn't into new things. You have to be a data nerd and love to analysis everything to death..lol
  • trevpimp
    trevpimp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Wow I appreciate all the help from you guys

Yeah I analyze things a lot like the way people act and in and outs that produced them to act that way haha
  • jeffryjirraf
    jeffryjirraf Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hey I am a civil engineer, and I am going into the oil business to design offshore platforms. Plenty of calcs there if you like that sort of thing. And the money to match haha
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    electrical engineer. i used to work in the semiconductor industry in silicon valley. now i run my own small business.

electrical engineering is a problem-solving profession. if you're good, you can make good money. but it's a life lived laboring over a computer in a cubicle. if you like problem-solving, it can be challenging and fun. but there is stress involved.

some engineers also get MBAs or engineering management degrees and they use those credentials to move up the corporate ladder to become directors, VPs, or CEOs one day. however, an engineer's life is not a 9-to-5 existence. you work overtime, sometimes alot if you have a looming project deadline. however, as a salaried employee, the OT is "free" for the employer. that's the tradeoff... good money but your work long hours. also, alot of companies are turning to overseas employees to fill the gap between the number of engineers they need and the number graduating from college. this inevitably leads to a downward pressure on salaries, since foreign engineers are often willing to work for less in exchange for a visa/green card. i saw this happening all over the valley in the the 90's. i walked away from that career a number of years ago for personal reasons.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm an Electrical Engineer working for a Building Services Consultant. I like the variety to the work, one project might be a huge tower of posh flats and the next might be a new hospital. Every day is different. Sometimes the hours are long, if there is a deadline you have to hit your expected to hit it and not often paid for your overtime. My job is mostly office based but I also have to go out to survey building sites and then inspect the work as it is done so that also is a plus for me.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    You want to drive trains? Or more like what these other people have explained?
  • uidb5259
    uidb5259 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The best thing for me is creating new ideas no one else has thought of. I have 2 patent applications and 3 more in the process and I love the fact that I can look at issues or conditions and find new ways to address those needs. It is very rewarding, both enjoyment wise and financial. Just sayin!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of civils here, me too. I've been in the municipal field in road design for about 8 years, did traffic signal timings for a few years, worked at a private firm for one year, and had a couple internships in road construction.

I'm not gonna lie, it's generally pretty boring. My traffic signals job was cool for a while because we have an adaptive signal system that's pretty high tech, and that was interesting to learn about but it got very monotonous after a while. Road design is okay though, most of what I do is software based, hardly any math at all. I sit in front of the computer a lot, make a few phone calls, go to a few meetings, and take the occasional site visit. And it's government so the benefits are good too.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    BSc in Facilities Engineering here. I went to SUNY Maritime College, the happiest place on earth. The school is specifically to train people for the Merchant Marine, but a power plant is a power plant whether it floats or is stationary. At school I also earned a 3rd Assistant Engineers License, unlimted horsepower steam, diesel, and gas turbines.

After school i started working as a power plant operator at a steam plant for the New York City power company. I earned my High Pressure Steam License.

I am now working for the same company, at a gas turbine plant, and working on my Master of Science in Energy Management.
  • rickybluntjr
    rickybluntjr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I majored in Mechanical Engineering and in my job I do mechanical and civil work. I work for a local municipality. I used to be in design but hated it because I was doing all day was reviewing designs submitted by consulting engineers to determine if their underground utility plans were in accordance with our standards.

Now, I'm in management in the Operations Division and have 9 people who work out in the field for me. My job is to make find and solve inflow/infiltration issues within my County's wastewater system. I love being around people. If you like working by yourself, find a design job. If not, you may have to still start in design and work your way up to management.

The Kolbe Index Career MO+ is the best career assesment you could ever take! Kolbe.com It old me that I wouldn't like design and that I'd do better in management. Very true!
  • zela
    zela Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Engineer in the architectural industry checking in. I was always a smart science/math wizard growing up but upon graduating and starting my first job I decided that I don't want to be an engineer forever and be my own boss. Since than I've gotten into sales & management which is a deadly combo with an engineer brain and knowledge. Now I'm leading a branch of my main company with a partner and still get to do the fun "engineering" every once in a whiile.

One good thing about engineers is that if you are smart you can work your way into success. That's also a major life sacrifice and if you don't want to do it young than don't go into engineering. Honestly most engineering majors end up being content with what is given to them and as a result make way less money than their minds are worth.

Like I said it's also a major life commitment as some weeks you have to work over 70 hours to get your job done right. For example, I've been stuck in the office from 6am-9pm the last two nights. Girlfriend, wife, kids, etc.. would not even been fair to them at this point and will have to wait.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    My school canned its Civil engineering program so now I'm a few classes from getting a degree in architecture.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Computer science was in the engineering dept at my university.

I hated the engineering courses, but if I had spent more time studying and less time chasing the fairer sex, I'd be doing better now.

That being said I've fared the economic downturn surprisingly well (I did get laid off in '09, was working for IBM, but got over a 50% raise moving to the job I'm at now) and make pretty damn good money.

Can't complain.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm an Electrical Engineer with ~25 yrs of exerience.

I'd be very wary of going into Electrical or Software - many of these jobs are being out-sourced. I've worked for companies that have failed, where plants have been closed, where a product was released and the R&D engineers have all been laid off, and had my entire division shut down and moved to India/China/Taiwan. 6 different companies - all the same story. You have a house, a family and various debts - you go to work and without warning, without notice, without any foreknowledge - you find yourself in a "Meeting", while your desk is packed into a cardboard box, you are given a few weeks pay - and you are home before 10am with no job, no prospects and none of the "essentials" of life (medical insurance).

If I had it to do over again; I'd suggest Chemical Engineering, Civil, or possibly Software. I would not recommend going into the Hardware part of things.

Bear in mind, there are no Visa programs to bring in additional lawyers, doctors, or other professionals into the country, to dillute the labor pool and keep wages low. But, our beloved Gov't has instituted the H1-B Visa program to bring in non-citizens to compete for jobs in Engineering. There is a law of Supply/Demand; and the Gov't has taken it upon itself to artificially inflate the Supply side, to keep the salary from going up. The study required for an engineer is VERY intensive; yet the pay as an engineer is pretty much in line with a degree requiring far less math and science - like a degree in Economics or Business. Those degrees end up being the MANAGERS of Engineers- I can't tell you how many managers I have worked for, who do not have a clue as to what an engineer is, or what he does. Yet, he makes more than I do; and does my appraisals. This would be like you or I writing an appraisal on a brain surgeon.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

If I had it to do over again; I'd suggest Chemical Engineering, Civil, or possibly Software. I would not recommend going into the Hardware part of things.

oh man, if you are smart and hardworking, chemical engineering is the way to go! top pay in great companies.
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Studied Electrical Engineering and I have worked in the Wind energy and medical field. I am currently getting into Project Management at a utility company. I work alot with Mechanical Engineers in building technologies. I might switch over to the Power systems Engineering side. I like different challenges.

Engineering is fun and definitely rewarding but you gotto love doing it
  • markoakley
    Options
    Mechanical is the broadest field of engineering. I have worked the computer, aerospace and nuclear industry as the economy and employment situations have changed over the years.