Stay at home mom

Options
I am a 23 year old stay at home mom.
I am STRUGGLING to lose my baby weight even tho I'm sad to say it's been a whole 16 months since I gave birth.
Before I got pregnant I was a healthy 125, now I am 165.
Because I am a stay at home mom my life revolves around my daughter and don't get me wrong I love her and she's the best part of my life but I have almost no time for myself to exercise and I am so busy taking care of her and cleaning and making sure she's happy and entertained that I just don't have the time or energy to put together a proper meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I usually just whip up some mac and cheese, make some hot dogs, or peanut butter and jelly. Are there any other moms on here that can give me some of their tips and advice for staying on track with your diet and exercise program?
I would very much appreciate it! Thx!! :happy:

Replies

• chrlslove7
    chrlslove7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

I'm a 24 stay-at-home mom (also go to school full time online) with a 4 yr old and 10 mo old. My husband is oversees so I don't have help consistently. In order for you to follow an exercise regiment and diet, you are going to have to be extra organized. Is your little one on a schedule? You'll have to squeeze out every minute you possibly can to workout. Try 30 day shred, it's only 26 minutes and it incorporates two major weight loss keys, strength and cardio. I've lost my 24lbs (took 9 months) but still need to lose weight from my 4 year old, lol. I totally get how difficult it can be to do this with a baby. Walks are going to be your best bet for now. Aim for 30-60 minutes 3-7 days out of the week. You also have to really want it. You aren't going to be successful if you half-*kitten* this. What is your weight loss goal a-week? Make sure you log everything you eat and don't get down on yourself. I know it's easier said than done BUT, if I can do this, you can too. You aren't too far either! :) I'd looove to be 160!! Let me know if I can help.
  • MakeitAWFUL
    Options
    Thank you so much! You had a lot of great advice and it's nice to hear from another person who is in a similar situation as I am. We moved out of state so I still don't know anybody at all, we are 6 hours away from any family and my fiance works full time so I am all on my own! She is on a schedule an takes an hour long nap everyday. That's when I try to squeeze in my workout! Usually about the time I get her down I'm tired and either lay down myself or clean because for being so small she sure can make a mess!! So while she naps the last few days I have been pretty good about working out for at leas half an hour, some days are better then others! I also do sqauts, push ups and sit ups here and there throughout the day. So I'm trying to work with what I have. The food is the biggest issue for me right now. Trying to put together a well balanced healthy meal is difficult when I have so much stuff to do. I worked full time before we moved and once we moved my fiance had such a good job that I didn't need to work so to save on day care I became a stay at home mom. I thought being home all day would make it easier since I wouldn't be on the go so much but boy was I wrong!
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

I'm a 24 stay-at-home mom (also go to school full time online) with a 4 yr old and 10 mo old. My husband is oversees so I don't have help consistently. In order for you to follow an exercise regiment and diet, you are going to have to be extra organized. Is your little one on a schedule? You'll have to squeeze out every minute you possibly can to workout. Try 30 day shred, it's only 26 minutes and it incorporates two major weight loss keys, strength and cardio. I've lost my 24lbs (took 9 months) but still need to lose weight from my 4 year old, lol. I totally get how difficult it can be to do this with a baby. Walks are going to be your best bet for now. Aim for 30-60 minutes 3-7 days out of the week. You also have to really want it. You aren't going to be successful if you half-*kitten* this. What is your weight loss goal a-week? Make sure you log everything you eat and don't get down on yourself. I know it's easier said than done BUT, if I can do this, you can too. You aren't too far either! :) I'd looove to be 160!! Let me know if I can help.
    . This couldn't of wait it better myself I'm. Stay at home mum and I do volunteering also when the weathers nice I go out for a walk up hills on uneven ground ect I also do Zumba at home on the fitness tv channel when I put my little one down and I get two it .. Have you got a travel cot when my daughter was that age I use to sit her in it an put her toys in like a play pen and she was happy xxx
  • Sojaided34
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom too. When my first was born, I walked a lot. I was in the same weight situation as you. I was 118 lbs before pregnancy and 163lbs after. I'd stick her in a stroller and start walking. Also see if your community centers have mommy and me workout classes. My center has strollercise, mommy and me yoga and swimmng classes. Good luck.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can sure relate!.....
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/JanaCanada/view/saddlebag-sacrifices-432124

Even now that I am 53, I can still remember feeling the way you do now. Here's what helped me: Get out that stroller and walk, walk, WALK! If it's bad weather, go to the mall with the stroller (and the baby in it, of course...lol).

Becuase you're so tired (understandably so!), you're probably opting for rest/naps while baby naps. That's OK, but when Hubby comes home, can he watch baby while you work out a bit?
  • babygurl6982
    Options
    my son is much older now (12) but try doing some exercises with her im pretty sure you could find something on youtube or just look at Parents.com (the magazine) it might give you some tips. Congrats and good luck !
  • davery1985
    davery1985 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hi there, i am also a stay at home mum to a 16 month old daughter. I do work on sundays, but only 4 hours as i cant get anyone to look after my daughter during the week. It is hard to find the tme, and also having the energy to exercise. I try and find shorter workouts that i can do whe she goes to bed at night. I can do this though as my husband doesnt get home till 8.45pm. I got the 30 day shred and theres a few other exercise dvds that you can just do around 40 minutes. I do kettlebells and you can basically just do how ever long you want with that, its quite an intense workout, but it has fast results and you do have to workout for an hour, half an hour should be fine. Feel free to add me and look at my diary anytime for any tips on what foods have worked for me as i have to try and prepare meals through the day and get other things like house work done. Its very hard so i can totally relate to how you are feeling xx
  • ShirleyFed5
    ShirleyFed5 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've been there and completely understand where you're at. My babies are now 19 and 17! I lost the baby weight fairly quickly, but the mac n cheese and half eaten sandwiches did me in. I lost all that, though, when I started walking 45 - 60 minutes per day and made sure I was eating healthy - and that the kids were too. Feeding them junk food as babies isn't doing them any favors and it's just as easy or easier to make a salad and open a can of tuna or chickpeas as to make mac n cheese.

Is there a local community center or church that offers programs for moms and babies? Some swimming pools offer mom n tot programs and you can meet other people who are in similar circumstances. I really struggled being at home when my kids were little as I was used to working full-time too, but looking back I'm so fortunate to have had those years with my kids. And take a nap when the baby is! Make use of the stroller - they enjoy being outside too.
  • MommaShorty
    MommaShorty Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a stay at home mom too. Between me and my husband we have 6 kids at home. 4 in school and 2 still at home. I run around all day running errands or cleaning. My suggestion to you for meals would be to do weekly planning one day a week while she is laying down for a nap. Plan dinners plan lunches plan breakfast, even snacks. If you have to write it down on a calendar and later when she goes to bed whatever you can plan ahead go for it. As for workouts you can always put her in a stroller and go for a walk, while you're making lunch do the squats or dips in the kitchen, leg lifts. It sounds funny but use your daughter as a weight and lay on the floor and lift her up and lower her down she will giggle and you will work your arms. Make funny faces and laugh at her. Run in the yard, Have her lay on the floor and get in a push up position and go down blow raspberries on her tummy and go up and repeat.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    You have to get yourself into a routine. Routines are also good for your kids too.

Wake up at the same time. Make breakfast an event with your little one, you can decide what to have together, sit down at the dinner table and talk through what you're doing and what you guys will be doing in the day etc. Do this for dinner to and if there is any mixing of ingredients get them to help! My 23 month old loves to help mix things. It utterly ruins what you're trying to do but he likes it so its all good.

My wife found it hard at first too but now we have a 23 month old and a 4 month old so she's had to get into a routine. Its helped her loads and now she loves it.
  • tequillarose04
    tequillarose04 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Im also a stay at home mom! I have 2 very active ones & sometimes things dont work out as planned...It seems you have the exercise part figured out, but as far as food, its really not as hard as you would think it is...what do you feed her for lunch? if your answer is mac & cheese(400 calories per serving!!!) & hotdogs, youre probably not teaching her good eating habits this early on...once in awhile its fine, but how about changing that up with steamed veggies(if you dont have 'time', you can buy them in the frozen section & take about 4 min to microwave, it doesnt get any easier) fruit...pretty easy, wash & cut up, brown rice(they also have 2 min microwave packs if you dont have the 10 min it takes to make the other)...for dinner, use a crockpot!! you can put your ingredients in it in the morning & let it cook all day, theres no making dinner, its already ready! whats leftover you can eat for lunch the next day...there are lots of recipes on here & all over the web for crockpot meals & u can alter to your personal taste...my crockpot is my best friend....also, plan your meals ahead...not only will it make grocery shopping easier, you wont be putting random junk in your cart...you have to be willing to put in the effort...i have a 10 month old & 5 yr old...i know how hard it can be, but making good choices for not only yourself but your child is very important! good luck, you can add me or message me if you need ideas! good luck :)
  • momjeannes
    Options
    i totally understand as well what you're going through as a stay at home mom of 3. One thing that's been great for me, in addition to tons of walking, is just getting them outside and running around, or playing dancing games. You can have your little one bounce around on her own, or you can pick her up and dance with her. My middle child loved it when I'd put an exercise video on and she would try to do some of it too. I didn't always get the full workout, but every little bit counts. That gets your blood moving and is good for her too. I still struggle on the eating what I should on a tight schedule, but maybe if you make healthy dinners and make a little extra you can eat it as leftovers the next day for lunch.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay-at-home Dad, currently in between jobs and I have a 19-month-old son. I'm also diabetic. I have Type 2 diabetes. Best advice I can give you is start taking her for short walks in her stroller and use this site as much as possible. There are tons of people out here who want to see you succeed and as tough as it seems it's really not all that hard.

Also, invest in a small food scale. I've been using one for about 7 months now and it's really helped me out in watching my portions when it comes to food. As a diabetic I have to really watch my carb intake so the scale comes in handy. In fact, I've lost about close to 30 lbs since I started counting my calories and carbs.

I've only been on this site for a little over 3 weeks and already I've dropped 9 lbs. Nothing is impossible. Good luck to you.
  • MakeitAWFUL
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your support and advice!
    Believe me the number one thing that I am most concerned about is my daughter picking up poor eating habits from me.
    My whole family is overweight, some even obese.
    I grew up with bad eating habits.
    My family is very close and we would all get together very often for dinner and it was never good healthy food.
    I rarely ever ate vegetables unless they were smothered in butter or cheese.
    I wish my parents would have encouraged a healthier lifestyle for me when I was young.
    So I don't want to continue this cycle.
    Thank you all for giving me healthy, easy recipes or telling me what I could do to switch out the mac and cheese for delicious wholesome meals!
    I am going to do that 100%

Thank you everybody!