Sometimes I wanna scream!

Options
I am nervous to post...but what the hell.

Bad morning. I gained a pound this week.... I know why. Im not stupid. I drank a **** load of beer last weekend, and didn't stick to my caloric intake everyday this week. However, I did limit myself and try to have correct portion sizes.

I am also doing 30 day shred, and I know I am gaining muscle. Why can't I just have a scale that says "good job, you feel lighter" with no number :) haha.

Today, I just feel like saying F-it and baking and cooking all day.....and then enjoying every bit of it. Oh! we also have a pool tournament this weekend so I will be hanging out in a bar. all. weekend. Not a great time to be so discouraged.

Tear me apart if you would like. I had to get that out and Husband doesn't understand bc if he looks at a salad he drops 10 lbs. jerk.

Replies

• TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Do not be defeated by a few beers. No, you didn't gain a pound of fat. That's all water weight. Your body converts carbs into glycogen which is stored in your liver and muscles. It takes about 3 grams of water to maintain 1 gram of glycogen, so do not be discouraged. You enjoyed your weekend, suck it up, and get out there and get it done! Don't be a quitter! Let's get it!
  • krissycupicake
    Options
    Girl, I totally know what you mean! Seriously, there is nothing more frustrating than sweating your a** off and then nothing on the scale showing for it. Sucks even more because my best friend is a guy and we all know men lose weight faster than women do, so he's already dropped ten pounds, and I've dropped two. I love him, but sometimes I just want to punch him in the face.
    I'm also doing 30 day shred and that is seriously kicking my butt. But the important thing is simply to stick with it, My coach told me this and it always sticks with me whenever I feel down "You didn't put on that weight in one night, it's not going to come off in one night. Plus, if it wasn't hard work, would you be proud of it when it's accomplished?" I'm losing weight not only to be healthier, but to also join the Navy (they say I gots too much chubs to join just yet :( ), so anytime I'm feeling down, I simply look at my contract and I know all the sweat, all the tears and all the discouraged feelings are for a purpose. Just remember your goals, if you want them bad enough, you will find the motivation to stick with it :) We all have those "f-it" days, getting past them is what makes us stronger :) You can do it :)
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    No problems...just get back on track. No baking and cooking and enjoying everything in sight or you will be here next week talking about how you gained another pound or two. Nope...you are better than that!

And about the pool tournament...well I went to a Girl's Night Out to a bar/restaurant a week ago or so. I had diet coke only and a few nibbles from the free buffet for my dinner. I still kept within my calories and macros and had a great time! The best part was the end of the night, I could cover my entire bill plus tip with a $5 bill and everyone else was paying $60+. :drinker:

The beers you had aren't bad...that's life. You have to enjoy yourself! Just don't let it turn into something worse.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    its 1 pound!! Not the end of the Earth....you can get that pound back....its prolly water weight gain from the beer....I have the same problem because yes I like my beers on the weekends .....dont beat yourself up so much your thinking of takin the dive into cakes and cookies....theyll only make you feel worse and you start the whole damn circle all over again! Chin up ....get moving!! Drink water to flush that water gain out and feel good about yourself! Your making changes...you cant be perfect all the time...life would be boring then! :)
    just did some reading about beer drinking actually...they said that if you have a couple each night and I mean couple not a 6 pack lol that your body recognizes it as reg calories and burns it off like it does reg food...but bingeing on the weekends means overload for your body to burn through as excess and it stores it as fat instead.....hopefully i typed it so it makes sense lol oooo and drinking water in between beers helps too! :)
    as far as guys go....yeah I hear ya! lol
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It's just a pound!! Next week you'll probably get on the scale and have lost it + some more. Unless of course you go through with the baking thing...
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    a pound could be a bit of bloat and a certain *need* to go loo (ok that's an Aussie term for toilet) of the number 2's variety...

... or a pasta/rice meal the night before weighing.

Don't beat yourself up about it. Tomorrow is another day to start logging and eating to give you the YOU that you want to be. Past is something that HAS happened and can't be changed. Present is the time in your hands NOW and the FUTURE is yours for the taking. Grasp it with both hands and do what you want without the guilt of something that you can't go back and change.
  • Mom2barefootbabes
    Options
    I love this site more every day. You guys ROCK! I do feel better. (i also like the idea of drinking beer everyday, lol.)

Thanks. I won't cook or bake today :) I had my two egg whites and a whole egg for breakfast.

I really appreciate all of you. Thank you for turning my whole attitude around.

ETA: And on a side note, I don't think this whole "weighing once a week" thing works for me. It puts too much pressure on that one day...I think I prefer knowing all week that im over instead of thinking i feel 'skinnier' and getting a sad number
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    we sure do like to torture ourselves done we... dont let that one lb get to you.. best thing you can do is live and learn and move on. being healthier is a process in the works . you're too hard on yourself
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    dont give in to ur baking wants...in a few days maybe even by tomorrow ur one pound that u gained will be gone! and if u eat everything u bake today, then the scale will only go up. stay strong! go for a run, a walk justget out of ur house so u dont bake!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Find other ways to track your progress. There's too many variables for the scale to be your only way.

Take measurements. Go by how clothes fit. Take photos. Especially take photos.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/758160-reminder-the-scale-does-not-define-you
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options

ETA: And on a side note, I don't think this whole "weighing once a week" thing works for me. It puts too much pressure on that one day...I think I prefer knowing all week that im over instead of thinking i feel 'skinnier' and getting a sad number

Take pictures and/or measurements, too... your scale LIES! It's up, it's down - it can't make up it's mind. Unless you want to lose your mind along with a few pounds, don't weigh every day - it'll drive you nuts. Weigh weekly, but track other measurements of your progress, too!

Edited to add: What Lorina said... :)
  • lauraatkinson85
    lauraatkinson85 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've been juggling the same 2lbs for the past 4 weeks - put it on, lose it, put it on, lose it. Ive been really upset about it because Im trying my hardest, going to the gym, doing cardio, weight training. Over the past week people have started noticing my shrinkage, because although Ive not been losing weight, I've been losing fat.

Buy a tape measure and try logging your inches rather than weight, or do both.

You'll get there - hopefully we all will.

If you need a friend to motivate you, feel free to add me :-)

x
  • lauraatkinson85
    lauraatkinson85 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Find other ways to track your progress. There's too many variables for the scale to be your only way.

Take measurements. Go by how clothes fit. Take photos. Especially take photos.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/758160-reminder-the-scale-does-not-define-you

I've just read your post - brilliant work - well done!

I think the scales might be going in the shed tonight!
  • been285
    been285 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    my scale hates me,, cuz I step on it all the time !!!!

last weigh in day ..... no loss ,,,, next day.. there IS the 1 lb loss I thought I deserved ???

repeat after me.... I am doing a good job
    I do NOT need a gold star to tell me I am doing a good job
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Sucks to feel that way. But if you say f*** it and drink beer all this weekend too you'll feel the same next Friday.

As Einstein said, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    If weighing yourself is going to make you crazy (note your original post) then look at it differently....Total your cals for the week and see if you were over or under (for the week, not by day).

Try measuring the part of the body u hate the most and keep track of progress that way.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    You may have been a pound lower if you weighed yourself 12 hours earlier or later. You really cannot live and die by 1 weigh in. If it is not a trend it is not a big deal.
  • layla_luvyah
    layla_luvyah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from...we tell our children," When they fall, to pick themselves up and try again."
    Let's continue to follow good advice and be a role model to our children. We are all here supporting one another.
    Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I have soo been where you are! I nearly quit this diet around about the third week. The scale would NOT budge! I'm glad I stuck to it, though, because the next week I had a 4 lb. loss! That was enough to motivate me to stay with it.

Face it: we ALL Screw up coccasionally. So you had a few beers. I ate almost half a turkey at Thanksgiving! :laugh: Counter your bad choices with good ones instead of throwing in the towel. Accept your mistakes...then move on. You'll be glad you did!
  • gottagettagrip
    Options
    I am finally coming to grips with the fact that the scale is not my friend....Yesterday I put on jeans that hadn't fit for two years, yet this morning the scale was UP two pounds. I know I have been doing everything I am supposed to do. There is NO WAY I could have gained two pounds of fat. Stupid scale...we have to stop giving it so much power! :noway: