Introduction

Options
Hello. I am on a wellness journey to get in shape and lead a healthy lifestyle. I am a thirty-something mom of three - 11, 7, and 4 yr old kids. I've been married for 13 years now, and I am inspiring my husband to eat healthier too. I've been on several diets as far as I can remember, but most of the time I was looking for a quick fix - Atkins, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Physician's Weight Loss, diet pills, etc. You name it, I probably tried it.

The light came on for me when my father, 58, had a heart attack last December. He was always in shape, and seemed perfectly fine, but his artery was 88% blocked. I didn't want the same fate to happen to me in 20yrs, so I knew I had to step it up a knotch. Most of the meals I make at home are healthy, but we snacked too much and our portions were out of control. I began to cut back, eat smaller portions, and take Zumba and dance fitness class. I began to see results, but very, very slowly. My energy was also not very high, and I was tired all the time. I had some tests done, and found that my thyroid levels were slightly off.

I started taking supplements and vitamins to correct my thyroid problems. I also began to eliminate gluten, sugar, and dairy from my diet, and immediately saw results. It was a tough transition, but it is the best thing I have ever done for my health. I have always been lactose intolerant, but I would eat dairy because I liked the taste. I have found ways to prepare great food - I love to cook. I now love Mexican because it is the easiest to make gluten-free. I am 5'1", and I was 153 lbs when I started, and I am down to 131lbs. I have lost 6lbs since joining MFP. I know that since I close to my goal of 125lbs, keeping track of my calories and exercise is now more important to lose the last 6lbs. I may go down to 120lbs to bulk up back to 125lbs with muscle.

I run 10-12 miles a week and strength train 3 days a week. I build muscle really fast, so only do light strength training and focus on intense cardio. I am hopeful that I can drop the last 6 by Thanksgiving, and for my birthday in December. It will be my firts birthday ever being in shape. I hope to find inspiration from others here and help those who need some motivation.:smile:

Replies

• ChrissME
    ChrissME Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just joined today as well. I'm hoping for a lot of fun support. Good luck! I wish you much success on your journey