Zumba!

Options
When I do a 60 minute Zumba class I'm not sure what to use for logging the exercise. If I use the (Aerobics, general) option it gives me a higher calorie burn than the (dance, aerobic, ballet, modern,twist) option. I feel like its a high impact work out and I sweat my bootie off! Anyone else Zumba? If so, what do you use to log it?

Replies

• disnyfan7
    Options
    I did it under dancing, aerobi, ballet or modern . I think that is the closest.
  • CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    When I do a 60 minute Zumba class I'm not sure what to use for logging the exercise. If I use the (Aerobics, general) option it gives me a higher calorie burn than the (dance, aerobic, ballet, modern,twist) option. I feel like its a high impact work out and I sweat my bootie off! Anyone else Zumba? If so, what do you use to log it?

I use Cardio and added it myself. For 60 minutes I do 400 though I know I burn a lot more. WHenever I have worn my heart rate monitor- more like 600-800 though I fear overestimating so purposely underestimate
  • TryingHere84
    Options
    Does anyone have the Zumba DVDs from the infomercial? My toning DVD cuts off after the sticks, but they said at the start of the DVD that there would be a section with the chair. Help?!
  • jenlipe
    jenlipe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Try this website to calculate your Zumba the first time. Then it will be in your MFP. http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I created a new exercise in the database and add it as zumba!
  • monroekm
    monroekm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I wore my heart rate monitor several times to get a good idea of how much I burn during each 60 session with an instructor. It's pretty intense and I usually burn around 600-650 according to the HRM. So I usually use the Aerobics, general option. I don't get the same calorie burn from the DVDs though, so I use the dance one for those sessions.
  • Musicianess20
    Musicianess20 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use the high impact aerobics option...depends on the workout tho...I've been to some zumba classes where it's more "skill of the dance" than a high impact session.
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem... so i used aerobics.....
  • bluestocking01
    Options

I use Cardio and added it myself. For 60 minutes I do 400 though I know I burn a lot more. WHenever I have worn my heart rate monitor- more like 600-800 though I fear overestimating so purposely underestimate

I use my HRM and get between 600-800 as well. I created the exercise and input the correct data. Also the calculator that another user posted is pretty accurate with my HRM.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Zumba Wii estimates my cals at 1020 when I do the 68 min (it claims to be 60 but it lies) HRM sez 850. I added an exercise to my data base that estimates Zumba burns 750 in an hour.
  • prinlea2000
    prinlea2000 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

^^ This is what I did as well - just created my own & input my calories burned from what my HRM tells me after each class.
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to share this neat tool i found today :
    http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/

i tried to add some zumba to the database for different weight classes today using this calculator but for some reason they're not showing up :/
  • Storkette79
    Options
    Wow, I severely underestimate my workouts then LOL... must be why I'm so hungry . eeek!
  • NaturallyOlivia
    Options
    Wow, I severely underestimate my workouts then LOL... must be why I'm so hungry . eeek!
    I must say I was surprised at how many calories it said i burned too. almost 700! :o
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor. It will give you an accurate number of calories burned. And then you can input a new exercise for your Zumba with the right calories burned.
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I remember putting in Zumba in the excercise counter. I looked it up online. Try that. maybe you can get a more accurate count. Good luck
  • tracyhall63
    tracyhall63 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I would caution you to use a HRM. I do and have never burned more than 350 in a zumba class and that was for a pretty intense class. I think my burns are kind of low but eveyone is different so the HRM is the way to go.
  • NicholAshmore
    NicholAshmore Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • CheekyRunner
    CheekyRunner Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM with a chest strap and I burn 800 - 900 calories for a 60 min Zumba class sometimes more when I feel extra energetic....adding that I have 50 pounds to lose if that helps you.
  • NaturallyOlivia
    Options
    I use a HRM with a chest strap and I burn 800 - 900 calories for a 60 min Zumba class sometimes more when I feel extra energetic....adding that I have 50 pounds to lose if that helps you.

wish i burned that much! im right below 700 i think. you're probably also a waaaay better dance than i am. this white girl aint got no rhythm :(