Vibrams for Lifting?

Options
Yay or nay? I'm currently wearing some basic Puma's (not running sneakers) but I have some Vibrams. From what I've been reading, less is more when it comes to shoes for lifting, but I'm a little worried about injury and gym regulations. I'm doing New Rules of Lifting for Women if that makes a difference (squats, deads, lunges, etc).

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I don't know what vibrams are, but some Converse Allstars or other non spongy shoe is what you want.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I don't know what vibrams are, but some Converse Allstars or other non spongy shoe is what you want.

Vibrams are "barefoot shoes".

womens_vibram_fivefingers_flow_mesh_shoes_grey_purple_3.jpg

What would you consider "spongy"?
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Ideally you want to be barefoot to lift, so I think you're okay with Vibrams. You want to have your clothing influence your form as little as possible!
  • samwise2
    Options
    You just want a shoe that doesn't have a lot of padding for weightlifting. A barefoot running shoe should be fine, but just a normal (Not running) sneaker would be fine too, and might do a better job protecting your feet if something happened.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I wear Vibrams 24/7 - including gym & weights. I love the feeling of "feeling" the ground and it helps me keep balance for the weights.

Just a warning - if you haven't worn them, they do have a "break-in" period. For weights it would be considerably less than if you use them for running or walking. Some people try to push this break-in, they pay for it in pain. Without all the cushioning normal shoes, you will quickly learn how to walk, run or move around but it takes time.

But I love VFF - have 5 pairs!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I squat and dead lift bare foot. (well...in socks)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options
    I wear Vibrams 24/7 - including gym & weights. I love the feeling of "feeling" the ground and it helps me keep balance for the weights.

Just a warning - if you haven't worn them, they do have a "break-in" period. For weights it would be considerably less than if you use them for running or walking. Some people try to push this break-in, they pay for it in pain. Without all the cushioning normal shoes, you will quickly learn how to walk, run or move around but it takes time.

But I love VFF - have 5 pairs!

I'm on my first pair but I've been wearing them since June. Absolutely love them. Just hadn't crossed my mind to LIFT in them :-)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

Not brave enough to do this in a shared gym lol.
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Unless you were wearing steel toed boots to lift before, I promise your shoes were not providing you any extra noticeable protection from a falling weight. Vibrams are actually better for lifting because your balance and foot grip are better than in blocks... I mean normal gym shoes.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I've never worn them myself, but I've never heard any complaints from people that lift in them.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    And... if the "toe" shoe is too much, look into zero drop or minumlist shoes: New Balance, vivobarefoot, and others. I don't recommend Fila Skeltoes, but if you haven't tried Vibrams, you may be ok with them. I have 1 pair of Fila's and loathe them in comparison to Vibrams - they just plan hurt.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I wear a minimal style shoe (not quite Vibram toe shoes, they don't come in my size) but it is a Vibram sole. They're great for lifting, less is definitely more. I've personally noticed increased stability with them.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yay. Massive massive yay
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I lift at home and tend to lift ACTUALLY barefoot, so they should be fine. (I wear Vibrams for running and some hiking.)
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yes Vibrams! I wear mine on squat and dead lift days and I can deff notice the difference! My balance is better and my heels are firmly planted on the ground.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

I do this in a large public gym... seems to be me and one of the instructors that ever does - luckily the gym floor is mostly clean!
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Vibrams are "barefoot shoes".

womens_vibram_fivefingers_flow_mesh_shoes_grey_purple_3.jpg

What would you consider "spongy"?

oh, then yes, those should be fine. spongy would be like cross trainers or running shoes.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

I do this in a large public gym... seems to be me and one of the instructors that ever does - luckily the gym floor is mostly clean!

Well TBH when I do planks I use the floor instead of a mat, I see them clean the floor everyday but I've never seen them clean the mats.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options
    Thanks for all the response, I will give the Vibrams a shot on Sunday.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I use Fila Skeletoes and love 'em. Nice and flat and wide. Get a great tendon and calf workout from using them and have a great sense of a base and balance.