Language Please

Options

Replies

• tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I worked in a Scottish hotel, and we had a regular guest from Chicago who often asked us to do laundry. He phoned down to say thanks for putting his ironed shirt back in his room but could he have his matching pants too... the hotel manager was searching through his just laundered undergarments and went to knock on his room door with a pair of boxers that were a similar shade, wondering who the lucky lady was that he was expecting to reveal his "pants" to later in the day!! :laugh:
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    jumper - sweater
    cell - mobile
    zed aka the letter Z
    pants - trousers
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Even within the states there are language oddities.

In the south, "do you want a coke" means "would you like a beverage"

In Wisconsin...a Bubbler is a drinking fountain...or "water fountain" as many people say, which I always had a hard time with because a "water fountain" to me is a shallow type of pool of water with a statue of a man peeing into the pool or a statue of woman pouring out what appears to be perfectly fine wine from an over sized vase. Grin. NOT something that I would want to drink from!

North to south has idosyncrosies...VERY north says "yous guys" as in "hey, yous guys want to go to a movie" meaning pretty much anyone in the group...NOT gender specific to men! By southern Wisconsin it becomes "you guys". By northern Illinois it becomes "you" (singular AND plural) then by mid Missouri people start saying "you all" as two very distinct words. By mid Texas, "you all" morphs into "y'all" and in SOUTHERN Texas it becomes "all y'all" which CAN be singular! as in: my girlfriend (we had our babies within weeks of each other) called me and asked "all y'all wanna go to a movie? I'm fixin' to leave the house in half an hour" and she was asking just me for some mommy away time! (so "all y'all" can be singular or plural)

There is an east to west language progression as well...it involves adding the "r" sound where it doesn't belong (warshington instead of washington) and dropping it from where it does belong (pahk your cah instead of park your car)

And I had my Australian friend in stitches she was laughing so hard at the way we state side people say "diaper" instead of "nappy"

And I experienced tremendous embarrassment when in high school...my dad had some business people to the house from Germany (fluent in English) and I asked them to please pass the napkins. (I guess that means sanitary napkins in Germany...I forget what it was that I was supposed to ask for...but I MEANT the paper product used to wipe the bbq sauce from my mouth...not the kind for feminine hygiene! I DID mention that I was in high school, right? as in...couldn't have possibly been any more embarrassing!)
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    clegg = horse fly

I though that cleggs were only in Northern Irish! I've never heard them called it here in the North of England. They give a right nasty bite and all! :angry:
  • jeffryjirraf
    jeffryjirraf Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    clegg = horse fly

I though that cleggs were only in Northern Irish! I've never heard them called it here in the North of England. They give a right nasty bite and all! :angry:

they bloody hurt don't they?? Wee buggers.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Since moving from the US to the UK 4 years ago, my language has changed a lot. I quite happily call pants "trousers", underwear "pants", fries "chips", and chips "crisps". However, I just cannot call shopping carts "trolleys" or erasers "rubbers".
  • terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself with some middle aged people who grew up in the Boston area, they might offer you some tonic (soda). My dad and everyone he grew up with still says it.

My grandparents are from Boston......
    Tonic = Soda
    Dungaree = Jeans
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I didn't see anyone mention jimmies. As in "Can I please have chocolate jimmies on my ice cream?" I had a huge argument with my sister (who grew up in Maryland) when I was visiting and asked for them. She didn't know what I was talking about. I'm not sure if jimmies is a Philly thing or Southern thing. I grew up all over and have a blended vocabulary.

I will always say ya'll but have let you's guys slip once or twice. Going to college in a small Southern town brought up all sorts of misunderstandings. My favorite was "what you like?" meaning "what do you need to do to get the assignment done?" My husband (Philly boy) likes to use "jawn" a lot. From what I understand, it pretty much means anything.

My favorite British words are "loo" and "trainers." They are so much nicer than bathroom and sneakers!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Since moving from the US to the UK 4 years ago, my language has changed a lot. I quite happily call pants "trousers", underwear "pants", fries "chips", and chips "crisps". However, I just cannot call shopping carts "trolleys" or erasers "rubbers".

I watch a lot of British television and find a lot of the language seeping into my head. Some of it would just sound so weird with an American accent, so I don't say it. But i always think it.
  • jennibee70
    jennibee70 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    clegg = horse fly

they bloody hurt don't they?? Wee buggers.
    [/quote

I thought clegg was the real name!!!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Yep! And....

Dinner is eaten mid-day

Supper is eaten in the evening

And it's "pupcorn" and "hut dogs" not popcorn and hot dogs
  • jennibee70
    Options
    So, can one of our American friends tell me what a "biscuit" is? I keep hearing Americans talking about having biscuits with gravy. To us, a biscuit is something you eat with a cup of tea. Like a cookie, but we only call certain biscuits cookies. All cookies are biscuits but not all biscuits are cookies!
  • justajiffy
    Options
    I was born in Essex, lived in the East Midlands in England for a long time and now live in Scottish Highlands !!

From the Midlands;-
    Frit - frightend
    Cob - bread roll
    Jitty - alleyway
    Mardy - grumpy
    Skank - mean
    Wassock - idiot
    Snap - packed lunch

Scotland;-
    Bairn - child
    Tattie - potato
    Trews - trousers (pants USA)
    Neep - turnip
    Ben - mountain

and now with TOWIE (The Only Way is Essex) on the screens there are words that I no longer understand !!!!
    Reem - nice
    well jel - jealous
  • jennibee70
    Options

Depending where you are in Britain, "trolleys" means underpants!
  • justajiffy
    Options
    ........ and to 'get trollied' means your well drunk !!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So, can one of our American friends tell me what a "biscuit" is? I keep hearing Americans talking about having biscuits with gravy. To us, a biscuit is something you eat with a cup of tea. Like a cookie, but we only call certain biscuits cookies. All cookies are biscuits but not all biscuits are cookies!

A biscuit is similar to a bread roll, but different consistency. Flakier.
  • jennibee70
    Options
    ........ and to 'get trollied' means your well drunk !!

Ah, we'd need an entire new thread for the all words for being drunk! Especially in Scotland. My favourites are blootered and miroculous!
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options

Biscuits and gravy is a savory dish... I forget what the brittish name is...but something to do with soda because they are made with baking soda. It is a flour, baking soda, salt, butter (lard or shortening...I like shortening best) cut together and then rolled out and cut into circles. They rise when baked into a flaky thick textured bread. I don't know if you have the same Mc Donald's breakfast menu, but the "sausage egg and cheese breakfast biscuit" is made on the same type of biscuit that we would use for biscuits and gravy. (the gravy part is a sausage gravy...delicious and totally bad for you (high sodium, high fat...high calorie...not so high nutrition.)

Hope this makes sense and helps...
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options

I've lived in the US my whole life and I wouldn't find it rude for someone to ask for the toilet. We usually use "bathroom" or "restroom," but I don't know anyone who finds "toilet" rude.

And most of us know what "loo" means. That clerk must have been very sheltered!

^^I was thinking the exact same thing.

I have a British friend who points out to me that pants and trousers are not the same thing. (The way Americans use "pants" is wrong, apparently. lol)

Friends in London call pitchers jugs. It was fun watching the bartender give them funny looks when they asked for a jug of beer.

And they called their sweatpants joggybottoms. That was my favourite. LOL

*jogging bottoms!!

as in what you would wear to go jogging in haha

We also call them trackies (short for tracksuit bottoms) They tend to be the more shiny material ones whereas joggers (short ofr jogging bottoms) are more cotton or softer material.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    So is telling someone to "bugger off" as bad as FU here in the states? Just wondered if that was really just to get people to go away or something else