I'm going to starve today...Please help me!

Options
I had a 6:30 appointment this morning, so I couldn't work out and lost out on my calorie cushion. :sad:

I just got home and now after eating breakfast (Corn Flakes, skim milk & 150 calorie muffin) I'm left with just 807 calories for the rest of the day. Um...that's not gonna work for me as I don't eat salads and require meals with substance. Since Monday, I've accumulated 431 unused calories and while I have no intention of eating them all today, I'd like to use some of them. Can I do that? Is that cheating? And if I do, do I need to add them to today's diary or subtract them from the days I accumulated them?

Please help me, my stomach is rumbling.

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I say eat them all! When I was on Weight Watchers, that's how they handled it - you were able to "bank" points for days when you were low or you could bank your exercise points. That's how folks who do calorie cycling handle it too - low one day, high the next but it evens out in the end.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Exercise to get some more calories so that you can eat more if you are hungry.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I'd be starving too if I ate that breakfast that was at least 80% carbs. Ouch!

Try switching your focus for the rest of the day to more protein and fat and fewer carbs, as this will help you to feel fuller.

I think it's fine to dip into that calorie bank a bit. remember that you can eat right up to maintenance and not GAIN weight. You'd only slow down weight LOSS minutely for a DAY.

If you're starving, eat!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Calculate your TDEE (this website and many others do that). Eat a number under that and you won't be eating enough to actually gain weight. 1200 isn't the only number that will allow you to lose weight, so you won't go off track by eating a little more than that today!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    First thing, the corn flakes and muffin are just going to make you hungrier. All those carbs and very little protein.

You can make it on 800 calories. Just make sure you use them wisely. Lots of protein, like a big piece of chicken, a potato, and some vegetatables would do it.

Or take some time for some exercise today - jumping jacks or pushups, or lunges and squats.

You can eat some of those 400+ calories you didn't eat yesterday or whenever it was. You won't implode.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Just bloody eat something, you're trying to lose some weight, eating more on one day will NOT kill you or derail the entire process....seriously. You dont want to end up as someone who obsesses over calories, tries to consistently live on 1200 a day and worries about the amount of exercise you do. Trust me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Eat a large steak or other meat protein... much greater satiety. Also, i fyou are exercsing, you can eat a lot more than 1200 calories.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I try to load up on veggies and fruits when I get close to my calorie goal early. I like the cheesy steam veggies that green giant sells. I think they are like 60 calories a serving so if (when) I eat the whole box, its like 180 calories. It helps "pad" my smaller portion meals if you know what I mean.

Also, what 126 said :)
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I had a 6:30 appointment this morning, so I couldn't work out and lost out on my calorie cushion. :sad:

I just got home and now after eating breakfast (Corn Flakes, skim milk & 150 calorie muffin) I'm left with just 807 calories for the rest of the day. Um...that's not gonna work for me as I don't eat salads and require meals with substance. Since Monday, I've accumulated 431 unused calories and while I have no intention of eating them all today, I'd like to use some of them. Can I do that? Is that cheating? And if I do, do I need to add them to today's diary or subtract them from the days I accumulated them?

2 cups brown rice = 600 calories
    1 can of Chunky "mushroom + sirloin burger" soup = 280 calories
    put the cooked rice in a bowl.
    pour the hot soup over the rice.

it fills me up and i'm a 240lb, 5'11" guy. i eat it every few days as dinner.

just check and see if the soup has too much sodium for you.

if you eat it as a late lunch, it could hold you over for the rest of the day.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing, that seems like a lot of carbs.

And if you look at the big picture of your diet, will eating slightly over your calories (1 day) do any real damage? There's so many variables involved. How big is your deficit? etc

And remember big picture.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to give real advice since your diary is closed. I'm also not understanding why you don't eat salad. However, based on what you said, it doesn't look as though you are eating enough anyway. 150 cal muffin + ~ 200 cal cereal + 807 cals = ~1157 calories. MFP sets a lot of people's diaries at 1200 calories, which is honestly too low to maintain. Remember this is a long-range thing. It's a lifestyle change, and you need to fuel your body. Try upping your calorie goal.
  • Dreajewkes
    Options
    800 calories let me give you some suggestions for food; you need to keep the rest of your meals (lunch, snack, and dinner) around 266 calories

For lunch you can eat a whole can of campbells chicken noodle soup (150 calories one serving =60 cal) or vegetable beef soup (200 calories one serving =80 cal) or tuna stuffed tomato (one serving tuna =50 cal, one serving mayo= 90 cal, one medium sized tomato=22 cal Total calories =162) or Open face grilled cheese (mozzarella cheese two slices=100 cal, whole wheat bread =70-80 cal , spray both sides of the bread with non-stick spray cook both sides of bread before adding cheese Total calories= 170-180) You can have one serving of soup and then your tuna stuffed tomato or open face grilled cheese.

I usually keep the snack low in calories so i can have a bigger dinner. You can have boiled eggs(large egg 70cal per egg), or 20 almonds(139 calories), or half a cup of cottage cheese (2% =203 cal 1%=100 cal fat free=80 cal) or fruit (banana medium =105 cal, apple medium = 72 cal, orange= 69 cal, grapes=62 cal per cup) or string cheese (80 cal) or yogurt (90-150 cal)

Dinner- bean and cheese burrito ( Tortilla-110 cal, mozzarella cheese slice 50 cal, fat free refried beans 1/2 cup 100 cal, salsa 2Tbsp 10 cal. Total 270 cal) Boneless skinless chicken breast (240 calories) Spaghetti (whole wheat thin noodles 200 cal, 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce-70 cal Total-270) Choose some vegetables for side dishes and you have dinner =)

See no starving =D be sure to drink plenty of water =D
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I agree it sounds like a lot of carbs all at once. Eat the cereal and milk and add a bit of fruit. Skip the muffin and eat a greek yogurt (twice the protein) in about an hour or a hand full of nuts and some veggies. I add protien powder a couple times a day to items such as fruit/greek yogurt smoothies. I eat every two hours and I don't starve. If the time is close and my stomach growls, I eat. Don't starve! Its better to eat something small then starve and over eat later.

Drink tons at least 8 oz of water with every meal/snack. It helps fill your tummy and flush out your system. I use a water bottle with a sippy straw with measurements on the side ($10ish at Walmart) and leave it close to me at my desk and just stip away the whole time until it goes empty.

We wish you luck! :smile:
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I would put 700 calories in one good meal of fatty meat or fish (salmon would be my choice or a porkchop with fat and bone), with some buttered veggies on the side (cabbage or broccoli). Or fry up eggs in butter. You can have good 6 eggs in a tbsp of butter on that budget. Cut out bread, skim milk and cereal in general - they are an absolute murder on hunger signals, and make for the starvation sugar hungers rollacoaster. You will do fine. Keep 100 cals for just before bed, something nice and fatty, like a tbsp of butter in hot tea. If you have to, go over. Your diet is hunger inducing and one day of correcting it is not gonna do it.
  • nadine2unfit2bqueen
    nadine2unfit2bqueen Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    bodyrocktv.com

20 minute or less killer workouts you can do in your living room.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a HIGH carb breakfast. Last time I ate such a high carb breakfast (without protein), I was a grumpy b-i-t-c-h the ENTIRE day. First of all, you need protein. It keeps you longer. Secondly, how many calories are you going off of for an entire day?
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options

1. If you're home now, why can't you work out?
    2. Salad can be very substantial and low calorie if you don't drown it fat filled dressing. I could make a giant salad for 235 calories with 20 g of protein.
    3. I would look at the quality of the food you're eating. My planned meals for the day not including breakfast amount to 795 calories and I have a good lunch, two snacks, and a treat dinner at KFC-- but I still have to find a way to cram another 217 calories in somewhere.
  • BeautifulBetsy
    BeautifulBetsy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    800 calories let me give you some suggestions for food; you need to keep the rest of your meals (lunch, snack, and dinner) around 266 calories

For lunch you can eat a whole can of campbells chicken noodle soup (150 calories one serving =60 cal) or vegetable beef soup (200 calories one serving =80 cal) or tuna stuffed tomato (one serving tuna =50 cal, one serving mayo= 90 cal, one medium sized tomato=22 cal Total calories =162) or Open face grilled cheese (mozzarella cheese two slices=100 cal, whole wheat bread =70-80 cal , spray both sides of the bread with non-stick spray cook both sides of bread before adding cheese Total calories= 170-180) You can have one serving of soup and then your tuna stuffed tomato or open face grilled cheese.

I usually keep the snack low in calories so i can have a bigger dinner. You can have boiled eggs(large egg 70cal per egg), or 20 almonds(139 calories), or half a cup of cottage cheese (2% =203 cal 1%=100 cal fat free=80 cal) or fruit (banana medium =105 cal, apple medium = 72 cal, orange= 69 cal, grapes=62 cal per cup) or string cheese (80 cal) or yogurt (90-150 cal)

Dinner- bean and cheese burrito ( Tortilla-110 cal, mozzarella cheese slice 50 cal, fat free refried beans 1/2 cup 100 cal, salsa 2Tbsp 10 cal. Total 270 cal) Boneless skinless chicken breast (240 calories) Spaghetti (whole wheat thin noodles 200 cal, 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce-70 cal Total-270) Choose some vegetables for side dishes and you have dinner =)

See no starving =D be sure to drink plenty of water =D

I love this post! Instead of telling her to eat more, and not worry about her goal, you gave her some really awesome ideas and tastey at that, sure it's not a lot of food/calories but the point of a low calorie diet is to train your body into not needing tons to survive.

Also if I over eat one day, I kick up my work out the next day to remind myself to work hard to get the body I want.
  • yowla
    yowla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think you are eating too many carbs. If you don't like something try and train yourself to like it. I never liked eggs but if I have one in the mornig I feel fine until my snack break. I try to plan my meals the night before of the morning of so I don't freat about being over. I give up a lot of stuff I want to eat because I know they aren't good for me. I am going out to dinner tonight and I want a beer so bad but I can't afford it today in my calories so I will just have my water. You need to get more protine, veggies and fruits in your diet. It does help. I use to hate clerey until I gaged but after eating it awhile with peanut butter and slowing eating less and less of the PB, I can now eat it plain.
    I don't think you should starve. Everyone goes over. If you don't you will fail. The 1200 calorie diet that MFP has people on is because they would like to lose 2lbs per week. You can eat more and lose maybe 1 to 1 1/2lbs this week.

You should also open your diary so people can help you.
    And losing 2lbs or more a week is very unhealthy for anyone.
  • ImAhTrini
    Options
    Thanks to EVERYBODY who commented! You guys are right...I AM a carb-aholic. *Hangs head in shame* Guess that's one of the main reasons I'm here...LOL I actually managed to have 2 calories left over the day I posted this. I am making a concerted effort to do more protein. And yes, the most important thing is learning to create a new lifestyle, not just get on another diet. I don't know any of you, but I love you guys for caring. :heart: