Measuring Glasses

Options
DanaDark
DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
Long story short: Tired of using measuring cups for my drinks. Looking for cheap glasses with measurements on them in a way that does not make it look like I am drinking from a measuring cup.

Any ideas?

Some I found:
Totally Nerd-tastic
http://www.amazon.com/400ml-Beaker-Handle-Pouring-13-5oz/dp/B0043RH2HK/ref=pd_ybh_1

Rather Classy
http://www.amazon.com/Wine-Trax-measuring-wine-beverage-glass/dp/B004W412OI/ref=pd_ybh_6

Not too keen on the high price... is it high or am I just dang cheap?

Replies

• daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't spend it simply because then I'd assuredly drop and break them. Lots of people are using mason jars as drinking glasses and I think some of them have measures. Other thing you could do, but it might not be completely accurate, is to make the marks on glasses yourself. Lots of things at the craft store for painting and etching glasses and some is even dishwasher safe.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Making some glasses would be pretty nifty >.>
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have an electronic kitchen scale which weighs stuff. So when I'm having wine (and any other liquid for that matter, although, wine gets weighed most often), I just put my nice wine glass on the scale, press reset, change the measurement to ml or fl. oz. and dispense the wine into the glass.

Works for measuring milk into my coffee / cereal too or just any other liquid I want to measure.

I can't see the exact one I have on Amazon right now, but had a quick look through and a nice electronic scale definitely seems cheaper than a glass with a line on (and a scale is much more accurate than a line on a glass).
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I like the mason jar idea. Check WalMart.
  • kjsneedtolose
    Options
    Honestly, check your local Dollar Tree stores. I got four for a dollar a piece a while back, and they are great. Glass...with ounces on the side. Great great great!
  • fearie_jae
    fearie_jae Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    i'm cheap so personally, I would measure in a measuring cup, put in a reg cup and make a line with a permanet marker or some sort of design/marker on it. why spend the $ when you can make it yourself? :P
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Go to your local Goodwill or antique store, they ALWAYS have cocktail sets that include graduations for measuring.
  • kjsneedtolose
    Options
    Double duty too! For those out there like myself, you find that you get more (food) for the weight it says...than using measuring cups :) I have a digital biggest loser, that I got few years back from QVC, and I use it religiously. It's almost as bad as my regular weight scale (Which I have a stalking, psychotic relationship with)...I feel guilty not using it. :)
  • polarblue
    polarblue Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The Ikea plain glass tumbler glasses from Romania and Poland have a clever design embedded in them. There is a ring about 2/3'rds of the way up that's obvious to see - and it also happens to be exactly 1 cup. Handy when you wake up in the morning and want OJ, but only 1 cup. Makes entry to MFP much easier. I've also heard that plain-jane Solo cups have marks for beer, wine, and liquor. Solo's rings are 1 oz., 5 oz., and 12 oz.

If you had for example a plain glass that you wanted to mark up for measurements, say "Morning cuppa OJ" glass you could get a box of Crayola Dry-Erase Crayons (yeah, they make 'em) and those things are awesome. You can mark your glasses, they wipe off cleanly, and they are nice and cheap too. I use those mostly for marking leftovers in plastic containers.

HTH
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    for most stuff i use plastic water bottles, as the oz are marked on the side and they come in fun colors and different sizes and styles, then I use rubber bands that match the bottle to track how many bottles I have each day so I can enter them at the end of the day.

I know which glasses in my house are 8/16 and 22 oz so I can eye up the rest for beverages. But if you just want it visual I would get some paint on etching at a craft store (under $10) and then some glasses from the dollar or goodwill and then etch rings on them. You can use rubberband to mark your measurements on the glass then put the etching on the non rubberband areas, wash it off and remove the rubber band and you will have a nice frosted glass that has clear markers at the spot you want. If you can not find the the etching medium, you can also find in the spray paint section of craft and other store a product that frosts glass in spray paint form that works really nice.
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    The second one is awesome. How about this - take some glasses you already have, go to Hobby Lobby or Michael's and get some glass etching cream and some as gay as you want stencils, and etch some designs on the glasses.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/10-ounce-etching-cream-195040/

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/upper-case-alphabet-reusable-etching-stencil-454413/

You can go extra cheap and use glass paint pens:

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/silver-glass-paint-marker-104356/