Don't know what to do anymore

Options

Replies

• catielynchapp
    catielynchapp Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow...you did put alot out there. What worked/s for me is to find foods I like and then restrict myself to eating these particular foods.
    So what I did was find the fruit/veg I like and then mix and match on daily basis. But what I would recomment is to begin with one meal, say, breakfast, and eat that on regular basis until you feel comfortable with your choices. I would recommend not focusing so much on every meal, but on finding what you like and adapting that over time.

Here is what I eat for breakfasst
    Now I must say that I pack my breakfast M-F and eat it at work, so this has become really easy for me.
    2 pieces of fruit....bana/apple (they are so portable that is makes it easy to pack)
    2 serving of veg...baby carrots/raw peppers/mini-cucumbersgrape tomatoes
    Hummus (this is key cause you can put on crackers, or use as dip for veggies)
    Starch ( I like "Food That Tastes Good brand of chips/crackes as they aren't highly processed)

Of course, there are many ways to switch this up. But I liike to keep it simple>

Catie
  • miadvh
    miadvh Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    1. I don't really like to eat salads. I but a bag of salad mix, or a head of romaine, and it goes bad before I've gotten halfway through it. The kind of salads I like, end up being 450 calories or something ridiculous like that. Otherwise, I'm hungry 30 minutes after eating it.
    Hmm..well I actually love salads..but it is tough getting myself to eat them without smothering it in ranch. I've found I like them best made with baby spinach now. Throw in some carrots for a crunch in place of bacon bits and some grilled chicken to make it for filling. Heck, I'll allow myself ranch as long as I measure it out rather than pouring out half the bottle.
    2. I can't seem to find bread or wraps that don't end up making my sandwich 300 calories. Or maybe I need to make different types of sandwiches.
    If it's all good healthy stuff in your sandwich or wrap, 300 cals. isn't so bad..still gives you plenty for 2 more meals and snacks.
    3. I need some kind of junkfood-like substitute for the actually stuff I crave. Chips? Candy? When I don't have it, I go grocery shopping and end up buying some very unhealthy stuff even though I don't intend to. And then I binge on it.
    Maybe try to find some dried fruit (like apples or bananas) that doesn't have a lot of sugar or anything added when you're wanting something crunchy? And dark chocolate may help your candy craving. What I love is dark chocolate covered almonds, yummy and filling.
    4. I really try to eat vegetables. Again, many of them go bad before I eat them. I buy bags of frozen vegetable stir fry, but find I need to smother them in teriyaki sauce to really enjoy them. Raw cut vegetables - I gotta have ranch to eat them.
    Just like eating salad, it does take some getting used to not smothering your veggies in something. Maybe use less and less or the sauce or dressing until you're using little or none and still like the taste. Once again, measure out what you're putting on so you know exactly how much you can allow yourself to eat. I've been trying to go with moderation rather than restriction, because if I don't allow myself something I love, I end up binging on it after a while.
    Dairy Queen - pumpkin pie blizzards are amazing! It has taken all I have not to go get one, and that's mostly because I can't afford to waste the money and the closest one is across town.
    If you absolutely have to get one, get a mini, eat it slowly and enjoy it. Try to find a healthier substitute other than that. Stroll the frozen treat section at the store and read some nutrition panels. There are some pretty yummy choices out there that aren't too bad for ya.

I'm also bad about messing up once during the day and letting the rest of the day be just as bad..I'm working hard on not doing that anymore. So you mess up once, erase it and continue the rest of the day/week/month doing the best you can and that one slip up won't matter.

Don't try to change your entire diet all at once if it seems like too much. Just make healthier choices little by little and you'll get there.

(As I'm saying all of this, I'm trying really hard to listen to myself..easy to give advice, harder to follow it yourself.)
  • SeeShelle3
    SeeShelle3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks kristen6022, I don't find your comment mean at all! I know I am the one that needs to make the change and gain the willpower, I just need some advice, and I appreciate yours :)

I think I'll grab some veggies after work today and plan some meals, that would definitely help me stay on track!

You said it right there... you know what to do girl! PLAN. That has been the biggest helper to my willpower. The days when I haven't planned or haven't been able to go out to the store to get my 'supplies' for home and work, I seem to falter and grab the nearest food. Some things I've learned in my month:

1. Experiment with some foods for the next week or two. Try different ways to eat the veggies and fruits. Look up some different recipes for salads and other meals and make out a two week menu for the following two weeks of things you LIKE TO EAT.

2. Only replace one bad food at a time:) That way you are in control - not the 'diet'. You got plenty of time... so do it right! Took me three weeks to have the guts to replace my flavored creamer with fat-free plain creamer. I did it when I was ready.

3. Replace a bad habit with a good habit. Water! I HATED water. I replaced my 4+ coffees a day habit with waters now. Do I drink as much as I should? No! But, I drink alot more than I did.

4. I don't eat alot of salads. Unless you want to eat them... I don't see why you have to. Lean deli meats, one slice of bread, thin slice of cheese, lettuce, tomato is my usual lunch. Heat up leftovers from the night before or even a small plate of nachos!

5. A big thing I learned was that I thought in order to lose weight I needed to lower my calories significantly. SO NOT TRUE. If you are working out at least 4-5 times a week, you NEED to eat your calories. That number that MFP gives you is for when you don't exercise. Everyone told me that my 1200 was too low. I didn't listen for the first two weeks... then for a goof I upped it to 1300 and what a difference! What a weird feeling to be on a diet but to enjoy eating more!

6. I've been finding that as long as I exercise and put my foods in my diary (good, bad or otherwise) and stay within my calories and fat (I don't care much about anything else), then I had a good day. I exercise for 6 days (at least 20 mins. - mostly 1 hour) and have a day off. On the day off I pay more attention to what I'm eating but that's about it. I exercise after 5pm so for me I try to eat most of calories during the day because I end up with an overage at night and I don't what to eat junk just to catch up to my calories.

Because you are asking for advice, YOU WILL GET THERE! It's when you just give up and stop trying is when it gets the best of you. I've been there so many times..... start a diet and exercise for 2 weeks then mess up and stop. Let this time be the exception. So what if you ate something from Dairy Queen... so what you ate some chips.... get back on track the next chance you get. You can still those things in moderation... just PLAN for them.

I've lost 10 lbs. in a month. I gave in and got a 650 Dunkin Donuts pumpkin muffin one day. But now I don't crave it anymore and I just exercised appropriately that day and the next:)

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm scratching my head over why a 450 calorie salad or 300 calorie sandwich is a negative thing. I don't think I could make a sub-300 calorie sandwich and still want to eat it.

Salad is awesome when it has lots of vegetables and protein. I don't usually make my own salad either but there's a build-your-own salad place nearby so I'll go there for lunch, and it's a reason to get out of the office. Okay so a salad is like ten bucks but it's worth it.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of good suggestions out there. If you don't like the salads don't eat them. I felt the same way once from a diet I went on called the Makers Diet, I was totally sick of salad. But now I seemed to find a way to like salad again. I've found that foods you like sort of evolved into cycles. The key is to find things you love, life is too short to eat things you don't like.

I don't know why I like salads again so much I look forward to them now. I added ingredients to make the textures change and make them interesting. But I find I must have protein to make them satisfying as well.

Different things I've tried with salads to make them interesting. I liked them but they may sound a bit weird:

I got some imitation crab meat one time (real crab is expensive!) and made up a salad dressing with water, cider vinegar, pasta sauce, and pure horseradish and I loved it.

If I add avocado it makes a nice rich flavor but adds more calories so I go with a lower calorie meat like ham or seafood. Some times I add 10-15 almonds or other nuts chopped up, dried cranberries, sliced apple, 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, or fat free cheese. I just try new ingredients to spruce it up and make it interesting. Otherwise the basics for me are lettuce, green onions, tomato, cucumber.

The other weird thing I tried was taking some chicken I cooked in a crock pot and heating it on the stove with some chicken broth, add some garlic sprinkles, salt, pepper, green onions, celery. Turn off the heat and add some fresh salsa. Top this over some salad ingredients listed above.

Also a stir fry with meat, onions, mushrooms, celery, then tofu noodles, try a variety of spices (they sell some really interesting combos in the spice section). Top over shredded lettuce and some other salad ingredients.

I cringe at the thought of low carb breads, fat free cheeses, and sugar free maple syrup because I used to be a 100% organic fanatic. But I was also obese when I was 100% organic. There is no such thing as low carb tortillas, bagel thins, fat free cream or cheddar cheese that is organic. So I learned to put the 100% aside, eat mostly organic, and have a few of these products to keep myself from going insane. One meal I might have good french bread (carefully measured) and the next I might have a low carb tortilla. I've decided these things won't kill me and I'm healthier with them than I was when I was 100% organic and obese.

Squash/pumpkin: Sometimes I get tired of recipes or they feel like too much work so I just cut it up and steam it until it's soft. I'll keep it in a container in the fridge. When I want some I heat it up on the stove with a little water (I don't use a microwave) and then mash with a fork, add some butter spud sprinkles, sugar free maple syrup, cinnamon, possibly a little almond milk, coconut milk, or coconut water. It's really satisfying to me.

For other sweet treats I love fruit salads with (not necessarily all these ingredients at once) melons, cucumbers, apples, frozen blueberries, a small amount of chopped nuts, jello sugar free instant pudding, greek yogurt, stevia, a small amount chopped dates, raisins or dried cranberries. Also greek yogurt with vanilla stevia.

Oh and I love PB2 mixed with stevia and water and a scoop of cottage cheese and greek yogurt. Reminds me of peanut butter pie.

I lost weight eating one slice of really good french bread almost every day with a light coating of real butter, raw honey, and cinnamon. I always ate it after a taco or a salad, and I ALWAYS wanted MORE, but I told myself I could have more tomorrow.

Fill up with water, flavored with 5 cal or zero cal packets if necessary, and herbal teas. If I need something rich flavored I make an herbal coffee with some sugar free creamer.

Eating windows. I have found eating windows helped me stay within a calorie budget. This is a flexible form of intermittent fasting. If you do a search for intermittent fasting you will find lots of information and benefits. I happened to find all my info from it from Brad Pilon's Eat Stop Eat. Here is how it worked for me:

So I just did my own diet thing, cherry picking from all the diets I had done. Once I had the portions down so I started eating what I called "mini meals" and put my food in small portions on a small dessert plate. One diet said don't eat after 7pm so I followed that. I ate healthy foods that I like, lean in the carb department. I limited myself to one or two very small servings of carbs a day, focused mainly on protein and veggies. I did not count calories. I got a feel for the right portions because the scale trend was going down fairly consistently. So some days I realized I probably had enough to eat so I stopped at 5pm or even 3pm. It was hard. I went to sleep at night feeling hungry and it was not fun, but I always felt great when I woke up and the weight consistently went down at a slow rate and I felt strong at the gym. That said..

You body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You can not make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

So I lost 40 lbs doing my own thing and I called it "mini meals" and "mini fasts" because I realized for the first time in my life I was fasting from my last afternoon meal until breakfast the next day. I was really excited and was working patrol with one of my super fit colleagues and I told him my story. He said he lost 30 lbs the same way and told me to look up "Eat Stop Eat" on the web. I trust this guy and he is my friend but I was leery of the ESE book. But my friend who I trust said it was good. I researched reviews and it seemed that even the skeptics ended up saying it was good and backed with very good research. So I decided to get it. Along with it was a special deal for a workout, so after waffling around with my decision I finally decided to get the workout as well. This is when my life really changed.

So, it's not easy to lose weight. It's not fun. You just have to find a way to make it happen. Keep experimenting until you find what works for you. We are all different and have to find our way. I'm glad I never gave up because I'm happier than I've ever been. But it was not easy.
  • sedohnah
    Options
    I think it's a matter of finding what you truly like, and getting out of the rut.
    I am not a huge salad fan either unless it's filled with stuff that's bad for me.
    I've been following Chris Powell's plan for the week and eating carbs every other day. I love carbs, so I don't feel deprived. I am looking forward to my "cheat day" where I can have the stuff i've been missing.
    Any way, a few suggestions

Protein with every meal- eat it first, it fills you up more than the other stuff

Breakfast: I slow cook oatmeal in a crock pot (2 cups of oatmeal, 2 cups of water, 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk) and a cup of pumpkin, flavor with cinnamon and splenda as you see fit. Cook for 4 hours.

Breakfast number 2: I always have a mix of cooked peppers, onions and spinach in my fridge. I mix the veggies with 1 cup of egg beaters and 1 oz of cheese, sometimes I cut the egg beaters to a half a cup and add in 1.5 oz of lean ground turkey sausage crumbles

My go to lunch- lettuce wraps- 3 oz ground turkey (or super lean ground beef) with taco seasoning, topped with lots tomatoes, green onions (sometimes), peppers (cooked), Sabra homestyle mild salsa and 1 oz. cheddar cheese. I divide the ingredients up between three iceburg lettuce leaves, wrap like a burrito and eat.

For my chocolate craving: Optimum Nutrition Extreme Chocolate Whey Protein shake made with almond milk (I use these as meal replacements...following the meal plan of 5 meals a day- the shake goes as an inbetween meal in the morning or afternoon or sometimes both)

My fall pumpkin craving: Optimum nutrition vanilla protein shake blended with 2 tbs canned pumpkin, cinnamon and dash of nutmeg

And drink water, water, water and more water. I only allow myself one diet soda a day, and its when I am eating, not after as it makes me crave something when I shouldn't be hungry.

Good luck and keep reaching out!
  • Helen_Luvnlife
    Helen_Luvnlife Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If you don't like salads. Don't eat them. Especially if you are adding high fat dressings on them. Find something you do like. I like to munch on baby carrots. And they need no preparation time. If you like hummus try celery sticks filled with hummus. Or lower fat cream cheese. Increase your fruits and give yourself time to adjust to a newer life style.

Don't go to the grocery store hungry. Write a list and stick to it. If the food isn't in your house it won't be handy to binge on. If you have somebody that would go to the store for you that would be a bonus.

Allow yourself one cheat day a week. You can have a blizzard or candy or whatever you want on that day. When tempted just tell yourself I can have that on my cheat day. It really is easier than thinking you can never have it. Just remember do not bring it in the house. If you want ice cream. Go out for an ice cream cone.

Most important is don't give up. It takes time to develop new habits. And one splurge does not ruin your diet. Giving up does. Log everything on your food diary. It makes us really see what we are doing.
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Pasta tastes good. Cookies and cake taste good. Alcohol tastes good. We all know that.
    If you're trying to make changes in your diet, it's going to be difficult. Eating vegetables when you're used to daily blizzards is going to take some time for your palate to adjust to. Stop saying that you can't and just suck it up and do it.

I didn't say I can't do it, I asked for help and advice.

Daily blizzards? I didn't say that either. It's a very rare treat for me.

But it's ok, I figured I would get comments like this one. :)

Thanks to everyone else offering advice, I already have some new items for the grocery list and I really appreciate it!

This is an opportunity to try healthier things out... experiment!

Like her delivery or not, what @msbeeblebrox has to say is valid - changing your lifestyle is hard work, I know that it's a struggle for me every single day. Yep, @msbeeblebrox is my hero for the day, I've been feeling weak-willed today (I've been under the weather lately, and feeling sorry for myself), and she "dope-slapped me upside the head" when I needed it the most.

It sounds like you have "the tools" to make better decisions, but the willpower sometimes flags. It's hard sometimes, but know that you CAN avoid the bad decisions, and importantly, you must stop flogging yourself when you do slip... but do get back on track as quickly as possible and learn from your slips!!

Hey @msbeeblebrox... regards to Zaphod!
  • ericcharleslindstrom
    Options
    I quit smoking back in 2001. Was on a trip to London with a friend of mine and watched, in horror, as he started shaking from nicotine withdrawal in the airplane and stood aside as he ran full-speed into one of those smoker’s “fish tanks” they set up for 20 smokers to all stare at the non-smokers. It was so depressing that once I landed back in the U.S. I swore I would never smoke again and I haven’t.

Two years ago I gave up drinking. I had already given up beer and wine (was going down too fast) and was happy with gin and rum (not in the same glass). Probably drank too much but it was fun. Met a woman who didn’t drink at ALL and she was having as much fun without the hangover. So, I decided to quit drinking completely and it was the best decision I ever made. When I go out, it’s club soda with lime and it’s not only less expensive but I have no regrets.

On January 5, 2012, I gave up meat, dairy and eggs. Going from 100% omnivour to 100% vegan overnight. Cutting out all my favorite foods and my love of cooking. Taking my 30+ restaurant list and chiseling it down to 3. Giving up meat, dairy and eggs is a hundred times harder than giving up smoking and drinking.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    You've received some good advice (some not so good) but plenty of ideas to help you, I think.
    Here's my 2 cents. Take what you like and leave the rest.
    Buy a copy of Dr Fuhrman's book "Eat To Live" and read it all the way through. You will finally understand why you're so addicted to crap and why losing weight -- and keeping it off -- is so difficult. Then make a commitment to eating right the rest of your life. You will learn all you need to know about real nutrition from this book. You will lose all the weight you need to, and will finally feel great eating REAL food, as much as you want, and easily maintaining the best weight for your body. Promise.
  • DesignGrrl
    DesignGrrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Pasta tastes good. Cookies and cake taste good. Alcohol tastes good. We all know that.
    If you're trying to make changes in your diet, it's going to be difficult. Eating vegetables when you're used to daily blizzards is going to take some time for your palate to adjust to. Stop saying that you can't and just suck it up and do it.

I didn't say I can't do it, I asked for help and advice.

Daily blizzards? I didn't say that either. It's a very rare treat for me.

But it's ok, I figured I would get comments like this one. :)

Thanks to everyone else offering advice, I already have some new items for the grocery list and I really appreciate it!

I think that response just meant that everyone likes the food that got them fat, and it's a slow process of retraining our tastebuds and cravings to things that actually benefit our healthier efforts.

For me, the first step of losing weight wasn't making a grocery list, but committing to eat less junk, and telling myself I didn't want it, and then building a food plan off that. If you aren't ready on conceptual level to abandon the symbolic Blizzard in lieu of something that moves you toward your goal, then it's not going to work.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My hubby has lost over 52 pounds, and he has never eaten a salad in his life! He also does not like most vegetables. Salad and veggies are NOT required to lose weight. Continue to eat the things you like, just limit your portions. You don't have to deprive yourself, and you don't have to starve.

But the excuse about exercise cals being a path to bad eating is HOGWASH!! Sounds like you're still overeating without the exercise. If you do some form of exercise, you'll at least burn off some of those cals. And you might start to see some results.

Best of luck!
  • sarahm0412
    Options

How is this comment helpful?

I know exactly where this lady is coming from, I have many of the same issues. That is why a lot of us are here, because we need support and advise, not condescending comments.
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i hear you. One recipe to try is "buffalo Quinoa mac and cheese". There's really no "mac" in it and it will help adjust your palate to new foods....like quinoa. Google it. Try it. It also freezes well and will thaw by lunchtime if you would like something to grab in the morning before work.

Note: Be sure to rinse the quinoa even if it says it was done at the factory. It will be bitter otherwise. Oh, and cook it in chicken broth instead of water.
    Hope this helps a little:wink:
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    How many pounds a week have you set to lose? It might be worth reducing this and take a bit longer over your weight loss than give up now. You can always increase it later when you get into the swing of things.

Exactly what I did. I set mine to sedentary, exercise only 3x/week for 15 minutes each time, and losing only 0.5lb/week because I know that I am coming into this with a ton of horrible habits, and I figure even a little change is better than none, and if I'm not overwhelmed trying to jump into the deepest part of the ocean without a lifejacket the first time I try to swim, I'm much more likely to continue to live (so to speak).

And it IS getting easier. With increasing frequency, I find myself more and more under my calorie goal.
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    another thing...
    try wilting your spinach in some olive oil, add some slivered almonds and feta cheese. 6 cups of spinach will reduce down to nothing when heat is added.
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions here - I'll add my 2cw.

- - use the supermarket salad bar to experiment with new vegetables and combinations. More expensive to start than making your own, but less expensive than buying a whole bunch of something it turns out you don't like. When you find what you like you can prepare your own. The Whole Foods salad bar, for example, has a lot of different options, and you might get some ideas for tasty combinations by looking at their prepared items. (That's how I discovered wheatberries and quinoa in salads!) But even my regular supermarket has a pretty good salad bar.

-- totally agree on how much planning ahead can help

-- I find that even if I think I've had a really bad day, if I force myself to log it it's not usually as bad as I thought. Which makes me feel not so bad which makes it less hard to start the next day off right.

--

-- protein in EVERY meal, even if it's just a glass of milk

-- I work in the city so lots of lunch options around for when I don't make my own, but it's sometimes hard to know what exactly goes into those meals, even if it's a place that posts nutritional info. I ask for a sandwich "in a container, no bread" and get just the items I want. This avoids the bread and pretty much makes every sandwich shop into a salad bar! I also find that if I'm eating with a fork I tend to eat more slowly than when I just pick up a half a sandwich and motor right through it, and that helps me control the amount I eat.

-- Trader Joes and Whole Foods both have interesting combinations of frozen vegetables that you might like better than eating one variety at a time.

-- if you like veggies better with cheese, forgo the cheese sauce, and sprinkle a little grated Parmesan on them instead - a lot more flavor for your caloric "buck".

Good luck with experimenting and exploring new flavors - eating is more interesting when you have a wider variety of foods in your diet!
  • thomasxaviersayles
    Options
    Dear Don't know what....
    For seven years, I ate whatever I wanted and trained myself to like the sweet foods, the rich foods, stuff that tasted really good. This is after I had been fit and trim and I gained thirty pounds, blood pressure went off the scale, and I did not feel good anymore. I had to come to a decision about caring about (loving) myself again. This meant both physically(nutrition) and spiritually, they must go together. I used the Prism program for two months and of course you can extend that in to phase two..three...four. I restricted my foods to what was healthy, I had trouble eating enough calories and then I started a five day a week workout schedule, now I have had to increase calories to have enough carbs, fats, and protein. There are plenty of foods that will work for you put your mind to work and when you need something sweet, eat a piece of fruit and of different kinds.
    You must train yourself to eat healthy and eat maybe six meals per day instead of three, it will keep your blood sugar level. Secondly, delete all processed foods, desserts, and "diet" foods.
    The results of some of what I have suggested is this, I have lost considerable weight, I wake up easily, I feel excellent, my blood pressure has dropped from 180/110 to 150/82 and that is just in two months and I am fitting into my clothes with ease once again. I have just returned to my old habits of good nutrition and exercise and it will work for anyone. Just take one day at a time and keep working on it and you will find success.
    One other thing, there is plenty of fish, poultry, and low fat foods that you can add to salads and other dishes that will fill you up and be healthy.
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Plain salads are boring. When I make a salad I make it be my entire meal and I make it be enough to fill me up. I put an entire plateful of romaine lettuce down, slice up a hard boiled egg and sprinkle it on, 3-4 ounces of grilled chicken, sprinkle a little cheese (not too much) and then use fat free dressing. Yes, it's about 400 calories but it's my entire dinner so it's not overdoing it.

I do have pasta on occasion but I choose whole wheat pasta which is healthier and a lot less calories. I hardly notice any real difference in taste.

When I'm craving a sweet treat I have a Fiber One chocolate granola bar. They are very yummy and totally satisfy my craving. Trust me you won't eat more than one.....or at least you won't do it a second time. :happy:

I think a big key for you is finding substitutions that don't make you feel like you're being deprived. BTW, I HATE veggies.

Exercise needs to become a part of your daily life so pick something you can do. For me it's walking. One hour a day just walking. I love zumba and all that but that isn't something that I can do every day. Walking every day is easy to work into my lifestyle. You can walk anywhere, in your neighborhood, at the park, at the mall, on a treadmill. All you really need is a good pair of shoes and you're ready to go.

I do agree with others that it doesn't sound like you are ready to make the commitment to yourself that you will succeed. You beat yourself up over your failures but you haven't sat down and drawn up a plan to succeed. Without a plan you are going to fail because you don't know where you're going or how to get there. Your plan needs to consist of three things, eat within your calories, log all food, and move more. That's it, and when you're ready it will all click for you. It will take time and it won't be easy but you'll know what to do and how to do it.

Personally I skip breakfast (bad I know but I'm never hungry), then I have soup for lunch most days. About 250 calories and very filling. I have a larger afternoon snack of 200-300 calories and then dinner consists of about 400-500 calories which puts me right about 1200 calories for my day. I choose not to eat back my exercise calories (don't judge) because I feel like I get enough food during the day and I'm not hungry. On days where I am a little more hungry I eat an extra 200 or so calories.

You CAN do this, once you decide that you want to lose weight MORE than you want the DQ Blizzard. Last night my son was starving after cross country practice and begged for McDonalds. I gave in and took him but didn't buy a single thing for myself - I love, love, love McDonalds so this was really hard for me. i just kept telling myself the whole time he was sitting next to me eating it that I want to lose weight more than I want that sandwich. I had to keep my eyes on my goal in order to turn it down. It was SO HARD but today I feel proud of myself for winning that battle.
  • Kimber415
    Kimber415 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    A few things that have worked for me.....

1. Eat more protein. Reduce carb intake, carbs tend to make me more hungry. I don't eat many salads and no sandiches....carbs make me hungry.

2. Eat whole fats, real butter, not margarine, real cream. Have eggs and bacon for breakfast, no juice, no bread, have full whipping cream in your coffee. The combination of the protein and full fats keep you full long term.

3. If I'm hungry in the afternoon, I grab a handful of unsalted almonds and a cup of hot tea.

4. Exercise to tone, walk, lift.

5. Drink lots of water

6. Have a treat here and there but get back to it, don't give up. Don't weigh everyday.

This is just me but if I go high protein, high fat, low carb I'm satisfied all day, once you start seeing results you'll want to stick with it. Make little baggies of things you do like, I do cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, celery sticks, carrot sticks, apples, cherries, unsalted almonds. Lots of water.

If I start feeling hungry I'll do just one mile on the treadmill or outside and then drink a glass of water.

Have a protein shake, look for the ones with low carbs like 2 g and high protein like 23g....add coconut milk or silk almond milk, nutmeg, cinnamon and 1/2 banana.....blend with crushed ice.....will help with your ice cream cravings.

Good luck....you can do this!