thats it.

Replies

• rickythorne
    Options
    im going to say, on its own.... no
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    No. Natural fluctuations aside, weight gain is caused by eating more calories than you expend.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    No, but if you're overeating because cardio made you hungry, that will make you gain weight.
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit makes you lose weight. You can run a marathon (let's say you use 4,000 calories during the marathon) and let's say your base rate is 2,000 per day (OK, and we will just make simplifying assumptions that the 4,000 and the 2,000 calories are mutually exclusive...). So the runner consumed 6,000 calories that day - if they eat 8,000 calories they will gain weight - if they consume 4,000 calories they will lose weight - if they consume 6,000 they will be in balance and remain the same weight.

Or, so, on its own - no.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    No, but if you're overeating because cardio made you hungry, that will make you gain weight.

This. Lots of people gain weight training for a half marathon becuse they think they can eat with impunity. Nope.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    1100 posts...been here 2 years..35 years old

great question...

have you been hanging out at the "is the poster above you cute" threads all this time?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    thats it.

If a person were to start stuffing their face because they thought by doing cardio they will burn it off and they end up taking in more calories than they burn off in cardio, then yes, they will put on weight.

It will not be the cardio that causes the weight gain though, it will be the excess calories.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    No
    It has nothing to do with cardio - it has to do with the food you eat.

If you do cardio, say 600 calories worth, then eat your normal 1400 cal + 600 of your exercise calories + 200 just because you feel like it calories = yes....you will gain weight.

Sorry, but the science is simple.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options

great question...

have you been hanging out at the "is the poster above you cute" threads all this time?

dont know if this is supposed to be rude or not, i was just asking a question because ive been eating the same amount of calories lately and doing more cardio and ive been gaining some weight. if i were going to be thought of as stupid then maybe i should just stick to my friends. im sure you dont know everything either.
  • WhatAgirl_
    WhatAgirl_ Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you do too much cardio and don't eat enough you will get in a palteau or even gain a few pounds because your body will freak out and go into starvation mode and will hold on to every bit of fat. ( it happened to me before.) If you eat enough and do a lot of cardio with good amount of protein and other important nutrients you can lose a pound every day ( it happened to me before. ) it all boils down to eating the right amount of foods. dont over do the diet or exercise! it won't work.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    No. Natural fluctuations aside, weight gain is caused by eating more calories than you expend.

this.

plus sometimes I gain before I lose. your body does this (putting on water) before big losses to avoid going into shock. So do not distress, if your doing right, right will happen.
  • VelociMama
    Options
    i was just asking a question because ive been eating the same amount of calories lately and doing more cardio and ive been gaining some weight.

It could be water retention from starting a new fitness program. Try to up your water intake and lower your sodium intake and see if it helps. Unless you've been overeating, it's definitely not fat weight.
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    ...but what about putting on muscle mass due to cardio exercise? I have to think that intense cardio builds muscle (which is GOOD) weight. One can add muscle eating at a deficit....
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

great question...

dont know if this is supposed to be rude or not, i was just asking a question because ive been eating the same amount of calories lately and doing more cardio and ive been gaining some weight. if i were going to be thought of as stupid then maybe i should just stick to my friends. im sure you dont know everything either.

no, it wasnt meant to be rude...but it seems people here ask questions that they already know answers to

maybe you werent but I dont see how anyone can think burning calories with cardio exercise can make you gain weight
  • VelociMama
    Options
    ...but what about putting on muscle mass due to cardio exercise? I have to think that intense cardio builds muscle (which is GOOD) weight. One can add muscle eating at a deficit....

Not unless you're obese or new to working out entirely. You also don't put on lbs of muscle per week even if you're bulking especially if you're female.

Most of what people assume is new muscle is actually muscle tissue holding onto water to repair itself thereby making the muscle appear firmer and adding a few lbs to the scale weight.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

What? No. Long cardio sessions build muscle endurance, not strength. And it's extremely difficult for a woman to build muscle in the first place. Near impossible eating on a deficit.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i was only asking the question because didnt want to overdo it. i was just wondering how much cardio is too much to do in one week.
  • WhatAgirl_
    WhatAgirl_ Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    thats it.

If a person were to start stuffing their face because they thought by doing cardio they will burn it off and they end up taking in more calories than they burn off in cardio, then yes, they will put on weight.

It will not be the cardio that causes the weight gain though, it will be the excess calories.

this too >>>>
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. If you are doing it, I'd stop immediately.
  • celtsguy81
    celtsguy81 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Not at all.

Overestimating calories burned and then compounding that problem by underestimating calories eaten will do it every time, though.