Some healthy recipes using chicken, ground turkey, and tofu

Options
pianoteacherevan
pianoteacherevan Posts: 55 Member
I compiled this list for a friend who was looking for ideas for easy meals using chicken, ground turkey, and tofu as staple ingredients. Also, at the bottom I put my normal shopping list of what I normally think to buy when I go grocery shopping. Hopefully it can be helpful to others as well.

Oven-Fried Chicken

Cook Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients:
1 1/4 pounds chicken breasts, cut into four pieces
2 egg whites
2 cups crushed cornflakes
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp dried mixed herbs
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Place egg whites in a shallow bowl, and crushed cornflake crumbs, paprika and mixed herbs in another shallow bowl.
Dip chicken into egg whites, then into cornflake crumbs.

Place dipped chicken on a baking tray coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cook for 20-25 minutes, turning the chicken
halfway through.

Serves 4.

Per Serving: Calories 207, Calories from Fat 17, Total Fat 1.9g (sat 0.5g), Cholesterol 82mg, Sodium 269mg, Carbohydrate
12.3g, Fiber 0.4g, Protein

Serve with veggies (broccoli, asparragus, and snow peas are my favorite), over cous cous or rice.
Low Fat Chicken Enchiladas.

This a is a great way to use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken. These creamy enchiladas are quick and easy to make.
It's comfort food with a fraction of the fat.

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients:
4 large corn tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken (skinless, white meat)
1/2 cup black beans
1/2 cup sweet corn
1 cup medium or hot salsa
1 cup plain low fat yogurt
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
1/2 cup reduced fat shredded Jack cheese

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Coat an 8-inch by 8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Warm tortillas according to instructions on package.

Combine shredded chicken with black beans and sweet corn. Mix salsa, yogurt and sour cream and spoon half the salsa
mixture into the chicken, beans and corn. Blend well.

Divide chicken mixture among the tortillas. Carefully roll tortillas and place them seam down in the baking dish.
Spoon remaining salsa mixture over the tortillas. Sprinkle cheese on top. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Low Fat Chicken and Dumplings.

2 to 3 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked well, shredded or chopped
1 can reduced fat cream of chicken soup
1 medium onion, cut up (optional)
1 can fat free chicken broth
2 carrots, sliced (optional)
5 flour tortillas, cut into 2-inch squares
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon of celery salt
dash leaf thyme
Preparation:
Place chicken, soup and broth in large sauce pan. Bring to boil. Add salt and pepper, celery salt, and thyme.
Add tortillas slowly.
Keeping the broth mixture at a boil. Lower heat to simmer. Simmer until tortillas are tender (about 20-30 min.).
Add additional water or broth, just enough to prevent sticking and to maintain desired consistency.

(Can substitute bisquick for dumplings but it's not quite as healthy. Probably tastier though)
Turkey Sloppy Joes

For an extra nutritional punch, serve with whole-grain rolls instead of regular rolls,
and offer baby carrots and grapes on the side.

Cook Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients:
2 tsp canola oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 small yellow bell pepper, chopped
3/4 pound lean ground turkey
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 14.5 ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
12 small Kaiser rolls
Preparation:
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions and peppers until softened. Add ground turkey
and cook until no longer pink. Stir in chili powder and oregano and cook for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce, ketchup,
tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Cook for 15-20 minutes.
Spoon about 1/3 cup of the turkey mixture into the bottom half of a small roll. Add top of roll, then serve.

Makes 12 servings

Per Serving: Calories 167, Calories from Fat 41, total Fat 4.5g (sat 0.9g), Cholesterol 22mg, Sodium 438mg,
Carbohydrate 22.5g, Fiber 2.1g, Protein 8.9g

Per Serving using extra-lean ground turkey: Calories 158, Calories from Fat 24, Total Fat 2.6g (sat 0.3g),
Cholesterol 11mg, Sodium 427mg, Carbohydrate 22.5g, Fiber 2.1g, Protein 11g
Fried Rice

This is a basic recipe for fried rice that you can add to as desired. If adding other ingredients,
increase the number of eggs to 3.

I'd recommend putting chicken, tofu or even ground turkey in this recipe. Also I like to add a little
sugar or splenda to the eggs.

Ingredients:
1 - 2 green onions, as desired
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste
4 tablespoons oil for stir-frying, or as needed
4 cups cold cooked rice
1 - 2 tablespoons light soy sauce or oyster sauce, as desired
Preparation:
Wash and finely chop the green onion. Lightly beat the eggs with the salt and pepper.

Heat a wok or frying pan and add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the eggs. Cook, stirring,
until they are lightly scrambled but not too dry. Remove the eggs and clean out the pan.

Add 2 tablespoons oil. Add the rice. Stir-fry for a few minutes, using chopsticks or a
wooden spoon to break it apart. Stir in the soy sauce or oyster sauce as desired.

When the rice is heated through, add the scrambled egg back into the pan. Mix thoroughly.
Stir in the green onion. Serve hot.

I wanted to add some things that are in my normal shopping routine that I keep as a staple in my diet. You'll notice I didn't put
peanut butter on the list. :)

1. Activia light yogurt, (really like the vanilla with bananas) I eat one everyday.
2. Avocados, not for everyday, but good for a snack when you're really hungry. Also, good for sandwiches and wraps.
3. Yams, I just bake them in foil and eat them with Brummel and Brown yogurt butter and a little brown sugar.
4. Kashi Go-lean cereal, and Kashi Go-lean crunch.
5. Skim milk
6. I get frozen veggies mixed in a bag for easy stir fry.
7. I eat two eggs everyday in the morning either fried in light butter or hard-boiled.
8. Orowheat Protein health bread, or multi-grain bread.
9. O Organics - Whole Wheat Farfalle (All my pasta has GOT to be whole wheat) It's far more healthy and keeps you full longer.
10. La Tortilla Factory - Whole Wheat Low-Carb/Low Fat Tortilla (Large Size)
11. Asparragus, Zuchinni, Yellow Squash, Broccoli, Calliflower, Bell Peppers (Frozen and chopped usually)
12. Galeos - Miso Roasted Sesame Seed Dressing (Makes a good healthy mayo substitute)
13. Brown Rice
14. Of course fruit, lots of fruit, bananas, mangos, blueberries (canned sometimes), strawberries, oranges (big bag of them), grapefruit and cantelope when it's on sale.

I drink a glass of red wine most nights with dinner.
Drinking plain unsweetened water everyday is very important for your mind and body.

Replies