Net calories after exercise

Options
Hi, MFP calculates that I should have around 2040 calories per day based on my weight height & daily exercise etc but I am finding it hard to get anywhere near that figure.
Last week I averaged 1200 calories a day including my daily hour or so speed walks but some days come out even lower than that so the weight is coming off, 4lbs last week but I would rather it slowed abit to around 2lbs per week. So what do I do, eat more to make sure I get up to the 2040 reduce the walking etc, any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark UK

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    height, weight, how much you eat, how much you exercise ?

I'm not a fan of eating to a number, especially if you're seeing results.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    don't reduce your walking
  • sandra152
    Options
    It sounds good to me you are losing waigh at a fast pase but later on it may slow down so make the most of it while it last .
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It's probably best to listen to your body and especially so as you are getting closer to your goal.

If you are fine with doing all the exercise, you have the time and don't feel too much like it's a chore, then continue doing it. If not, then maybe start easing up a bit.

If you are fine and don't feel hungry with all that exercise, then don't eat it back, but if you are hungry, start eating some of it back.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Eat more.1200 calories is really low for the average man, even when sedentary. It can get hard to meet calorie goals when they get really high, but honestly, 2000 calories shouldn't be that hard to reach. It's harder if you're used to under-eating, or if you only eat low-calorie food, but if you include healthy calorie dense foods, then it shouldn't be a problem. I'm presuming you are restricting "unhealthy" foods (if not, there really shouldn't be a problem getting to 2000 :smile: ) so try foods like avocados, nuts, seeds, nut butters, cheese. Add oils to salads or cooking. If you normally have low fat dairy, switch to full fat versions. Avoid foods that are labelled as "low fat" or "lite". You can also drink your calories in smoothies, protein shakes, milk and nut milks. If you don't feel hungry now, it's likely that you will get your appetite back as you raise your calories.

Having a calorie deficit that is too large, and losing weight too quickly, can be counter-productive. We all risk losing muscle mass as we lose weight, but losing too fast can mean that you lose more muscle than you would otherwise. If your calorie deficit is too large, your metabolism might slow down as your body adapts to getting a restricted amount of energy. Your hormones could be affected. Remember that you didn't put the weight on overnight, it's going to take time to come off too. Your profile indicates that you have about 20 lbs left to lose? If that's the case, a rate of 0.5-1 lb a week would be more appropriate.
  • JesterMFP
    Options
    It's probably best to listen to your body and especially so as you are getting closer to your goal.

If you are fine with doing all the exercise, you have the time and don't feel too much like it's a chore, then continue doing it. If not, then maybe start easing up a bit.

If you are fine and don't feel hungry with all that exercise, then don't eat it back, but if you are hungry, start eating some of it back.
    Unfortunately, hunger isn't a very good indication of what your body needs. It's very common for people who are consistently under-eating to lose their appetites, and it's also common for people who are over-eating to always feel hungry.
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, hunger isn't a very good indication of what your body needs. It's very common for people who are consistently under-eating to lose their appetites, and it's also common for people who are over-eating to always feel hungry.

True - I actually wrote a bit about that and then deleted it before posting. For me, my BIGGEST fear about losing weight is losing the ability to listen to my body. I am very close to my goal now and I have to make a conscious effort to actually "listen" to my body rather than strictly following a number.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Don't reduce your walking or activity! Health is more important than weight loss numbers. If this is early days your weight loss will probably slow anyway.

Without knowing your height/weight/activity level it's hard to comment.
    I'm 5'9", 52, weigh 13st, sedentary job but exercise nearly every day and am on 1600 calories a day for a 1lb a week loss.

I eat back all my exercise calories but many people only eat back half. Find what works for you.
    Eat healthy and be active.
  • JesterMFP
    Options

True - I actually wrote a bit about that and then deleted it before posting. For me, my BIGGEST fear about losing weight is losing the ability to listen to my body. I am very close to my goal now and I have to make a conscious effort to actually "listen" to my body rather than strictly following a number.
    I can understand that fear. My problem is, I've never been able to listen to my body. Or at least, never been able to trust what it says! It's something I'm trying to work on now that I'm closer to my goal. :smile:
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone great comments,

I have a long way to go I started at 22 1/2 stone now at 20st 2 lbs in around two months but need to get to about 16st that's my goal. I have never speed walked before or walked much for that matter so I am managing about 80min of speed walking per day & enjoy every second of it once I get moving & the happy chemical start being produced. My diet is now very healthy with lots of veg no fried food or take aways at all cut out mature cheese & have a wee bit of skimmed milk in coffee & breakfast so my food has changed dramatically & the good bit is I feel full on what I eat but lots of water has also helped that.

Think I will stick with what I am doing then as my body is saying I feel fine I guess I can get into reading the figures too much :)
  • Medwayguy
    Options
    @maca

1 large egg around 90 calories
    1 slice of white bread toasted around 87 calories
    Apple juice ( con ) glass around 120 calories

Breakfast : 1 egg 2 toast = 264 + apple juice = 384
    ............................................................................................

In 73% dark chocolate ( 4 pces ) there are around 180 calories
    1 Medium banana around 95 calories

Snack: dark chocolate + banana = 275 calories
    ......................................................................................

Tesco chicken casar wrap : 490 calories
    Tesco jam donut x1 : 205 calories
    Walkers Lights Simply Salted Crisps : 115 calories
    ....................................................................................

TOTAL = 1469 calories <<< and thats just by lunch time.....

Add to that say 100g penne pasta >alone< = 352 calories
    some sauce of a kind and perhaps a form of meat and you would be hitting your BMR+Exercise with ease.

Could you post a rough break down of what you eat/drink in a day?

Pete aka <<<< that bloke
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    at 20st (280 lbs) he doesn't need to eat any more. He could eat nothing and lose weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    at 20st (280 lbs) he doesn't need to eat any more. He could eat nothing and lose weight.

Even at 280, i would highly disagree. I understand he has a large about of fat reserve, but under feeding will only lead to catabolization lean body mass. Maybe not as much as first, but the sooner he approaches his goal, the more likely it will happen. But also considering he is 48, the ability to lose lbm is greater.

It's a very simple fix... eat higher calorie foods; nuts, avacado, cooking in EVOO, eating peanut butter out of a jar, high calorie protein shakes/protein bars... lean meats (such as steak, bison, fish, etc..)
  • suenewberry81
    suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Can't see how people who have been over weight can say they find it hard to eat, I've been over weight for a few yrs and I was like you to start with but soon got it out my head, people panic as they think the more they eat the less they loose, for me it's the more I eat the more I loose and the better I feel, and I feel fantastic as I'm almost at target,

Eating so little will not do you any favours, so eat eat eat xxx
  • maca416
    Options
    @maca

1 large egg around 90 calories
    1 slice of white bread toasted around 87 calories
    Apple juice ( con ) glass around 120 calories

Breakfast : 1 egg 2 toast = 264 + apple juice = 384
    ............................................................................................

In 73% dark chocolate ( 4 pces ) there are around 180 calories
    1 Medium banana around 95 calories

Snack: dark chocolate + banana = 275 calories
    ......................................................................................

Tesco chicken casar wrap : 490 calories
    Tesco jam donut x1 : 205 calories
    Walkers Lights Simply Salted Crisps : 115 calories
    ....................................................................................

TOTAL = 1469 calories <<< and thats just by lunch time.....

Add to that say 100g penne pasta >alone< = 352 calories
    some sauce of a kind and perhaps a form of meat and you would be hitting your BMR+Exercise with ease.

Could you post a rough break down of what you eat/drink in a day?

Pete aka <<<< that bloke

Yes here is a typical days menu

Breakfast
    Jordans country crisp 246

Lunch
    wafer thin chickn slices in malted bread sandwich 2 slices + 1 banana 300cals

Dinner
    Low fat yogurt
    2 X crispbakes (instaed of bread)
    1 X jacket potato with skin
    1 X portion of cod in parsley sauce
    Low cal coleslaw 596 cals

8 glasses of water

Coffee about 50cals with skimmed milk

Total food & drink = 1192
    Take away walking that day of 742cals = 450 cals

Total cals will vary abit each day but not by more than an extra 300 cals or so
  • Medwayguy
    Options
    Breakfast
    Jordans country crisp 246?
    >> http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-jordans-country-crisp-real-strawberries-i71135<&lt;

Jordans country crisp per 100grams = 428<< plus 100ml skimmed milk/50cal = 478 <
    .............................................................................................................................................................

Lunch
    wafer thin chickn slices in malted bread sandwich 2 slices + 1 banana
    300cals

Malted bread = 109cal per slice + banana 95cal + wafer thin chicken slice x2 18cal = 331
    .................................................................................................................................................................

Dinner
    Low fat yogurt
    2 X crispbakes (instead of bread) total 72c > >>brown bread x2 = 148c = +76
    1 X jacket potato with skin
    1 X portion of cod in parsley sauce
    Low cal coleslaw = 88 >>> normal 147 + 59

old total = 596 cals
    new total = 731cals

8 glasses of water

Coffee about 50cals with skimmed milk

old total food & drink = 1192
    new total food & drink =1540cal
    ..........................................................................................

Add apple juice to your breakfast + 155cal
    Nutribar for a snack + 250cal

New total = 1945 cal

A couple of changes and your good to go ;)

Pete aka <<<< that bloke
  • maca416
    Options
    Can't see how people who have been over weight can say they find it hard to eat, I've been over weight for a few yrs and I was like you to start with but soon got it out my head, people panic as they think the more they eat the less they loose, for me it's the more I eat the more I loose and the better I feel, and I feel fantastic as I'm almost at target,

I say I find it hard to eat upto my recommended calorie intake simply because I don't feel hungry I am not trying to starve myself that is why I posted I am worried I will loose too much muscle. Maybe I am drinking too much water & that's why I feel so full ?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

I say I find it hard to eat upto my recommended calorie intake simply because I don't feel hungry I am not trying to starve myself that is why I posted I am worried I will loose too much muscle. Maybe I am drinking too much water & that's why I feel so full ?

Just eat higher calorie foods. The problem is when people "diet" they assume everything should be low fat or low calorie, but in reality, the closer to the whole form, the better so it's not processed with sugar/etc... Essentially, the more whole the food, the better.
  • Medwayguy
    Options
    I agree that not everything should be "low fat"... and the closer to the original form the better. Oat's/Breads/Fruits etc :)
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You want to make sure you are getting plenty of protein and healthy fats with your diet. Avocado and nuts are great for getting those healthy fats.

I would also highly suggest trying to fit some small snacks in there. They don't need to be big, just a handful of nuts or something.

Realize that when you DO hit your goal weight, you will need to eat enough to maintain. This number is going to be lower if you stick to a 1200 calorie diet... and I double you want to be stuck eating 1200 calories a day for the rest of your life.