This can't be healthy. right?

Options
ok, so, im 21, 5ft 3in and 145.6lbs

for the past two weeks ive been eating around 1000cals for 4/7 days a week and around 1400cals the other three days and in this time ive lost 3.6lbs - the only weight loss ive seen for while (that actualy seems to be staying off) and i am now light lightest ive been since putting the weigh on.

So my question is can having 1000cals 4/7 days a week really be healthy for me?
I wouldnt have said so but the condition of my hair and skin is getting better and im not getting ill any more so it seems like im getting the nutrients i need - im not getting hungry at all at this level, or if i do i eat a piece of fruit and am fine

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    You should be eating 1200 a day minimum, no excuses. More on the days you workout.
  • gracefullyjenn
    Options
    I have heard that you can also just do 8400 a week and change up your daily as long as your weekly is the same. I am no expert by no means but just something I had heard to break plateaus.
  • gracefullyjenn
    Options
    and that is not counting exercise. When you exercise you need to up that acordingly
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? If you are, I would suggest eating at least half those calories back. 1200 calories is not a one size fits all number. If you are feeling good, if you have energy, you are probably ok with a couple days a week being under. That's just my opinion--I have no training in this beyond what I've gotten from these boards!

That said, I would mention this to my doctor, I would make very certain those were high-quality calories, and I would pay VERY close attention to any and all signals my body sent me. The minute you start feeling low, the minute you start having fatigue at your regular activity level, you up those calories...and if you feel hungry, eat something healthy. At such a low level, I would say any hunger you feel is genuine hunger, not boredom or stress hunger. Maybe take a multi-vitamin as well, because it's not going to be easy to get all your necessary nutrients at such a low level.

I'm normally pretty fierce about people eating enough calories...I'm surprised at myself right now with what I'm saying. But something about the way you've put this...I don't get the impression that you're trying to "cheat" the system, or crash diet. I think you're being genuine and honest in what you're saying. So, hopefully I didn't just give you validation to do something unhealthy!

You have to find what works for your individual body. Just be careful with what you're doing, and consider going up to a minimum of 1200. And please, eat your exercise calories. You really can't get by on 1000 cals a day if you're exercising too.
  • safiresp04
    Options

So my question is can having 1000cals 4/7 days a week really be healthy for me?
    I wouldnt have said so but the condition of my hair and skin is getting better and im not getting ill any more so it seems like im getting the nutrients i need - im not getting hungry at all at this level, or if i do i eat a piece of fruit and am fine

You're fine. Cycling calories isn't a bad thing since we work harder on some days than others. If you're still getting a balanced diet, with all of the food groups, but still maintaining healthy weight loss, you're good. Make sure your high days are on days when you're working out the hardest and your low days on the days when you don't work out at all or only do low-impact. Aim to lose 1-2#/week for healthy, maintainable weight loss, and you'll be fine.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    so your maintenance is between 1900 and 2000 calories a day, or at least, if your metabolism was 100% healthy it WOULD be about that, so no, 1000 calories probably isn't a good thing to be doing (for YOU, this isn't a blanket statement). the 1400 number I like though, maybe a little bit more than that would be better (say 1500 to 1600) but still, that number's ok IMHO.

What you want to do is give your body a SLOW steady path back to being healthy, by adding maybe about 50 calories to your intake and holding it at that for a week or so, then going up again, until you get to a more reasonable level, you should be able to avoid weight gain that would happen if you suddenly went from 1000 to 1500 calories a day. yes, it can take 2 months, but this way you're giving your metabolism time to adjust to more food without shocking it. It also allows your stomach to gradually stretch to accommodate the larger food amounts, thereby avoiding that "I'm too full, I can't eat my 1500 calories" argument.

Does it take longer when you have a smaller deficit? Sure it does, but it teaches you how to eat better for the rest of your life, and it becomes easier to keep losing weight as you approach your goal. Not to mention it's easier to get all your nutrition in, and will give you more energy and be overall healthier and more productive.
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Boy, I had it wrong!! That'll teach me! :laugh:

Listen the The Boss. He knows of what he speaks.
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    ok, so, im 21, 5ft 3in and 145.6lbs

past two weeks ... ive lost 3.6lbs - ... can having 1000cals 4/7 days a week really be healthy for me?

A) 1000 cals per day, not healthy especially if not under a doctors direct supervision
    B) at your weight you should not be able to lose 3.6 pounds in 2 weeks
    C) if you are doubting it could be healthy, this should be telling you something

Slow it down, do it right, all you are doing is starving your body and it WILL catch up with you.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I'm also going to guess that two weeks is not really long enough to detect nutrient deficits. This might not be the case for all nutrients, but in terms of hair and skin health, I think problems might take a bit longer to emerge. So the fact that you are not sick after two weeks isn't necessarily evidence that this is a healthy amount of calories.

I'm 30, 5'3.5 and 135 lbs and I'm eating 1400/day. If I exercise, I eat all of those back as well. I've been losing weight too. I would up your calories and plan on taking the weight loss slow and steady. The more slowly it comes off, the more likely it will be to stay off. And that's what we want, right?
  • curvykatie
    curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    What you want to do is give your body a SLOW steady path back to being healthy, by adding maybe about 50 calories to your intake and holding it at that for a week or so, then going up again, until you get to a more reasonable level, you should be able to avoid weight gain that would happen if you suddenly went from 1000 to 1500 calories a day. yes, it can take 2 months, but this way you're giving your metabolism time to adjust to more food without shocking it. It also allows your stomach to gradually stretch to accommodate the larger food amounts, thereby avoiding that "I'm too full, I can't eat my 1500 calories" argument.

well ive brought my calories up and im eating between 1200-1600 now (my weight is now 146.6) - it varies each day. But what ive found now is that i'm not feeling full at all! or if i ever do get to feeling full i'm hungry again within 15mins
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but that is your body coming out os starvation. You need to make sure you are eating high protien, low carb meals, and should be at least 4 per day. Good luck...you WILL find a happy medium if you keep trying!