John Green books

Options
LaurenAOK
LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
Has anyone read books by John Green? I've seen his interviews and such around the internet a lot and really like him, so I finally got one of his books, The Fault in Our Stars. I just finished it a few minutes ago. It was SO GOOD, but mannnn so heavy on the feelings! I don't think I've ever cried so hard over a book in my life! (And I read a lot, so that's saying something).

Next up I want to read Looking for Alaska. Has anyone read it? What do you think??

Replies

• anggxo
    anggxo Posts: 102
    Options
    OMGOMGOMG

John Green is one of my favourite authors, and looking for Alaska is DEFINITELY my favourite book ever. It's witty, it's smart, it's thoughtful, but also super sad (like all John green books, he really is great at writing tragedy. the fault in our stars tore my heart out haha). You should definitely read it. If you liked TFIOS, you'll enjoy Alaska as well.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to check these books out :)

BUMP!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    OMGOMGOMG

John Green is one of my favourite authors, and looking for Alaska is DEFINITELY my favourite book ever. It's witty, it's smart, it's thoughtful, but also super sad (like all John green books, he really is great at writing tragedy. the fault in our stars tore my heart out haha). You should definitely read it. If you liked TFIOS, you'll enjoy Alaska as well.

Awesome! I am excited to read it haha. Any other recommendations for his books? Those two books are actually the only of his that I'm familiar with.
  • I've only read The Fault in our Stars and An Abundance of Katherines.
    I liked both of them but I really only started reading his books because of the hype surrounding them. I wanted to see what the fuss was all about. And while I did definitely like them, I still don't see why there is such a big fuss?
    But maybe it's just because I don't really care to read about teenagers and I'm not a fan of first person narration, and I think most of his books are about teenagers with first person narration!
  • anggxo
    anggxo Posts: 102
    Options

Awesome! I am excited to read it haha. Any other recommendations for his books? Those two books are actually the only of his that I'm familiar with.

He only has two others, Paper Towns and An Abundance of Katherines. Oh, and a novel called Will Grayson that he wrote with David Levithan. Paper Towns was another great book, I flew through it. The main character, Q, is amazing and lovely and hilarious. And while I liked Katherines, it wasn't as great as his other three books, tbh. I would still recommend reading it though.

I think the hype is justified because unlike other recent book phenomenons (think, Twilight, 50 Shades etc) John Green actually knows how to write thoughtful, intelligent prose and really make his characters full bodied and complex. Also, his characters are very relatable and for a 30 year old man, he can sure get in the head of a 17 year old girl. For most of the The fault in our stars, Hazel Grace thought exactly as I normally do. It was like reading about myself.
  • Keltinator
    Options
    I've read all his books. I like each one for different reasons, but generally people only like them if they're into young adult fiction. Personally I really like his writing style. You can tell (especially in his earlier books, like Looking for Alaska) that he was heavily influenced by Salinger (The Catcher in the Rye).

I definitely recommend Looking for Alaska if you liked The Fault in Our Stars!
  • ktfitzgerald
    ktfitzgerald Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My daughter made me read all his booksand I enjoyed them all. Looking for Alaska was probably my favorite. But it was also the first one I read. I also appreciate that he is such a good, down-to-earth and healthy role model. I gained some points with my daughter when she discovered that John Green has a treadmill desk similar to mine. "If John Green does it it must be cool".