recovery drink help

Options
hey guys. im new to this forum so i apologise if anything similar has been posted before

just finished my 1st week of insanity
it is truly kicking my *kitten* but i am loving it..

however,
it keeps going on about "recovery formula" - which has a carb/protein ratio of 4:1

now i dnt have this. but i drink a protein shake after i do each workout. (i used to do the gym alot but wanted to try something new)

its nutritional info is below. (its a 60g serving per 325ml water)

Per 60g:
Energy: 207.9Kcal
Protein (as-is): 46.5g
Carbohydrates: 2.4g
Fat: 2.1g

as you can see its copletely diffferent to the ratio of the recovery formula

im no nutritional expert so what effect will drinking this shake have on me after a workout? will i not burn fat etc etc?

help please
cheers
ricky

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    you don't need to worry about buying their overpriced product.

chocolate milk has a similar ratio.........
    or you can buy a protein powder and mix it with milk or water.
  • rickythorne
    Options
    you don't need to worry about buying their overpriced product.

chocolate milk has a similar ratio.........
    or you can buy a protein powder and mix it with milk or water.

cheers pal
  • krismonaco
    krismonaco Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I drank chocolate milk as a recovery drink after I did my Insanity workout and it worked perfectly fine. I am one week from being done!
  • rickythorne
    Options
    I drank chocolate milk as a recovery drink after I did my Insanity workout and it worked perfectly fine. I am one week from being done!

was it much more protein than carbs? am just worried that the high protein intake compared to carbs in the one im taking might have a detrimental effect
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    The 4:1 carb:protein ratio doesn't necessarily need to be liquid either. You can get that ratio from a mixture of raisins and nuts or various other solid foods, although if you opt for solid food rather than the liquid, you should drink water to re-hydrate.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    hey guys. im new to this forum so i apologise if anything similar has been posted before

however,
    it keeps going on about "recovery formula" - which has a carb/protein ratio of 4:1

now i dnt have this. but i drink a protein shake after i do each workout. (i used to do the gym alot but wanted to try something new)

Per 60g:

im no nutritional expert so what effect will drinking this shake have on me after a workout? will i not burn fat etc etc?

help please
    cheers
    ricky

Ilovedeadlifts was 100% correct. I just wanted to add that a recovery drink has nothing to do with burning fat, It;s to repair muscle and replenish glycogen stores. Also fat has been shown to slow down glycogen replenishment so it's best to get the nonfat flavored milk post workout.
  • rickythorne
    Options

however,

Per 60g:

help please
    cheers
    ricky

Ilovedeadlifts was 100% correct. I just wanted to add that a recovery drink has nothing to do with burning fat, It;s to repair muscle and replenish glycogen stores. Also fat has been shown to slow down glycogen replenishment so it's best to get the nonfat flavored milk post workout.

thanks mate. yeah i mix my powder with water so no worries there