Strength training.....where do I start?

Options
I've never, and I mean never, done any type of strength training/weight lifting. I am ready to up my fitness level and this is the direction I want to move in. Looking around, there are a multitude of resources available. And that in lies the problem. Way to much to filter through and find what's right for me. Especially when I have no prior knowledge.

So the question is......if you had to pick ONE program, whether it would be a book, video website or whatever, what would you recommend for a complete beginner. Something that would give me a good grasp on the basics. After I get that down then I can move on from there. Thanks for your insight. Cheers

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I've never, and I mean never, done any type of strength training/weight lifting. I am ready to up my fitness level and this is the direction I want to move in. Looking around, there are a multitude of resources available. And that in lies the problem. Way to much to filter through and find what's right for me. Especially when I have no prior knowledge.

So the question is......if you had to pick ONE program, whether it would be a book, video website or whatever, what would you recommend for a complete beginner. Something that would give me a good grasp on the basics. After I get that down then I can move on from there. Thanks for your insight. Cheers

Starting Strength, Mark Rippletoe. The granddaddy of them all. 'Nuff said.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Starting strength.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    When I first started lifting weights, I started with Chalean Extreme. It's a fantastic program & I got fantastic results! I'm actually still doing it now, just as a hybrid with Turbofire before moving on to P90x.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I started with Stronglifts. Simple program, basic moves, and has a set weight increase progression so you're not guessing as to if you're going too light/heavy to start with.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Can you possibly buy a few sessions with a trainer at your gym ? if you don't belong to one maybe join for a few months to get the feel for the exercises and the routine. A trainer will set up a program for you, show you how to use proper form for all of the exercises and and be able to answer your questions. Once you know what you are doing you can then do more research and decide if you want to equip your home with a gym and commit to buying all of that weight or just stay at the gym.

Good luck !!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    where do you workout? A gym, the YMCA, at home? If you go somewhere to workout then ask a tainer for what exercise you should do to accomplsih what you are trying to achieve.

You can always search google or you tube for exercises that work the particular area of concern.

I'm no know it all by any means but I will try to help if i can. Friend me and you are welcome to view my pogs for help.
  • rayne133
    rayne133 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Recommendation - if it looks like fun...Try it. Invest in a trainer. Three sessions aught to do it. Explain to the trainer during the interview that you've never done strength training. He/she should immediately focus on telling you how they will teach you proper techniques vs. how many muscle groups to hit and when. (Relmember, they work for you. You should feel comfortable and you don't have to just take the first one that you talk to.) Key words to listen for, breathing, posture, core, stretching. Those are the basics to know to reduce the chance of injury. That's my 2 cents. Good luck and I look forward to seeing future posts of your progress.
  • julielovestofu
    julielovestofu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting: http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Maximum/dp/1583332383

Not sure of your gender but there is a women's one as well. Also agree that a few sessions with a trainer would be valuable to help you nail down proper form and get you comfortable with lifting.

I take BodyPump classes, which are really more about muscle endurance than strength, but I've found it's been a FANTASTIC way to learn proper form and get the basics of strength training. It also keeps me out of the gross meathead free weight room :)
  • Needtobefitandslimagain
    Options
    Hi There, RE: ChaLean Extreme, is this a DVD?
    Ive heard it mentioned alot and im keen to try it.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Read Starting Strength and then do this http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Hi There, RE: ChaLean Extreme, is this a DVD?
    Ive heard it mentioned alot and im keen to try it.

Hi there - ChaLEAN Extreme is a DVD product available from beachbody.com. It is an excellent program and one of my all-time go to routines.

For guys, the equivalent product would be the ever famous P90X.

The DVDs are very helpful, especially if you are working out from home. No matter which you choose - DVD, book or trainer - make sure you pay strict attention to form to ensure that you are doing the movement correctly. This is not only to help avoid injury, but you also want to make sure you get the maximum benefit from the exercise.

Everything listed so far in response are great starting points for you. Just choose what will work best for your personal situation.

Good luck!
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    OP asked for weight lifting not cardio with weights.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    OP asked for weight lifting not cardio with weights.

Both ChaLEAN and P90X have several videos that are strictly weight lifting. The other videos are cardio, endurance, plyometrics and stretching videos.

Also - didn't mean to imply that P90X is a 'guy' version while ChaLEAN is a 'girl' version - they aren't and I know several guys who do ChaLEAN and quite a few girls who do P90X.
  • Anycleavers
    Anycleavers Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Everyone, thanks so much. Great suggestions. Keep them coming.
    Trainer, never thought about that, good idea. I'll see what they have where I go.
    Yeah, I joined a small gym close to my home.
    As far as my goal, I've never really thought about it, I suppose I should. I just want to be healthy, and strong.
    I started at 330lbs. in January and I'm down to 263 now just by eating correctly and walking a LOT. I do most of my walking at work, so my cardio is taken care of.
    When I joined the gym, it was mainly for treadmill/cardio on my days off of work, then...hmmmmm.....I started thinking I should be using those weights and machines over there but had no idea where to start. I'm excited now, looking forward to the next phase. Cheers
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend Chalean extreme. I'm half way through it and I'm getting great results :-)
  • Shnarffles
    Options
    heck out bodybuilding.com - they have plans that you can follow depending on your goals and its a great source for advice/information
    x
  • UrbanSpaceman75
    Options
    If you want something that suitable for a complete beginner and that you can start in the comfort and privacy of your own home with very little equipment, I'd recommend the Nerd Fitness beginner bodyweight workout. I've had some really good results with this. both in terms of supporting weight loss and muscle definition. When I started, I couldn't do a single proper press-up/push up.... now I can do 10 (albeit not with brilliant form towards the last few, but working on that...)

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Whatever program you settle on, if you are going to be doing any barbell training then pick up a copy of 'Starting Strength - Basic Barbell Training' by Mark Rippetoe and Lon Kilgore. You can also pick up a DVD with the book that coaches proper form and shows examples of what to do and what not to do. This information will keep you lifting for a long time without injuring yourself. Happy lifting.

ETA - also look into startingstrength.com, where you can ask Rippetoe questions, as well as buy any of his books.