Can someone clear the confusion?

Options
I've lost over 100lbs in the last year, but I still need to lose another 100. My general doctor tells me to just focus on cardio because I have a substantial amount of fat to still lose, whereas on this site and many others I've heard to add strength training in there as well. Which is correct?I had a strength training routine set up 2 days a week for a couple of month, but honestly quit because I didn't see any improvement in my fitness or weight. The only change was I was constantly hungry! I have no clue where to start with a weight routine. Can anyone help?

Replies

• xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I think it really comes down to what your body responds the best to. If you have lost 100 lbs doing cardio, then keep it up. I personally am waiting until my last 15 lbs or so before I start weight training.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Strength training helps retain muscle mass while you lose weight. Without it, when you are skinnier, you're likely to still be flabby due to lack of muscle (skinny fat its called).

Girls look WAY better with some toned muscle than they do without it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I think it really comes down to what your body responds the best to. If you have lost 100 lbs doing cardio, then keep it up. I personally am waiting until my last 15 lbs or so before I start weight training.

bad idea to wait. While losing weight you will lose muscle and fat, the strength training will limit the amount of muscle you lose so your deficit will create mostly fat loss, not just weight loss (which includes muscle)

OP since you had so much to lose strength training though important is less of an issue, but I would still suggest incorporating it into your routine. by retaining as much lean muscle as you can while losing weight you will have a lower BF% at every weight, throughout your journey
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting helped me. You could look into the New Rules of Lifting for Women. It gives a good background on why you should lift. There are also groups on here dedicated to it.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    HUGE CONGRATS to you for your hard work. I have no advice just wanted to share my congrats.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    More muscle improves your metabolism, too.
    I do both, emphasis on cardio.
  • BluEydDreamer
    Options
    I can tell you exactly where to look. I weight train regularly and have used a site bodybuilding.com for all my research and information to transform my body. I had gained some weight last year due to a lot of stress and found that my regular routine and nutrition didn't matter anymore. Jaimie Eason, who is one of my inspirations, created a 12 week Livefit trainer. She teaches you everything you need to know about nutrition, weight training, cardio, and how to implement it all. It worked great for me and I'm sure it will help you as well. You have to stick with it though through the entire 12 weeks. Just go to bodybuilding.com, select Find a Plan down on the left, Fat Loss, Female, age group, and if you selected age: 20-39 it should be the top one. Jaimie Eason's Livefit Trainer. Its a lot of hard work and dedication but it works, and you learn so much as well.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

bad idea to wait. While losing weight you will lose muscle and fat, the strength training will limit the amount of muscle you lose so your deficit will create mostly fat loss, not just weight loss (which includes muscle)

OP since you had so much to lose strength training though important is less of an issue, but I would still suggest incorporating it into your routine. by retaining as much lean muscle as you can while losing weight you will have a lower BF% at every weight, throughout your journey
    I agree with this. I would add a bit of strength training to the cardio you are already doing. As you continue to lose weight, gradually swap some of the cardio for more strength training.
  • bnelly55
    bnelly55 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I think the main reason why I haven't stuck wth weight training is because it's so intiidating. Do I use machines, free weights, simple movements, compound movements? UGH. Confusing
  • bnelly55
    bnelly55 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I butchered that last post.....sorry. Forgot to spell check....I type too fast lol
  • drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Weight training is recomended because it helps prevent muscle loss while losing weight. You can also gain muscle, which would increase the amount of calories you normally burn. A lot of women like the New Rules Of Weight Lifting For Women. Right now I just do my own thing when I lift. I have been lifting higher weights, were I can only get 8-10 reps out per set. I have seen major changes in my strength and even some definition in only a few sessions. I do 20-30 minutes of strength 3 times a week. A lot of people also like Jillian Michaels DVD's. I have seen people have great success with her programs. I know she mixes a lot of strength and cardio. You could also look into cross fit. If you can afford even a few sessions with a trainer, you should do that. They would be able to build a program for you that will be most benefitial and continue to re-evaluate your progress as you continue on your weight loss journey. Don't give up on strength trainging. It is a great tool.

Also make sure you are having something small to eat before you work out and then having a substantial amount of protein within 30 minutes of your workout. This will help your muscles greatly and will probably help with your hunger.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you are under the care of a physician then you would do well to listen to his/her advice as they are familiar with you and everyone is different. Also, your doctor is looking after your health, rather than how you will look in a bikini 100 lbs later. Right now losing weight is likely to show the most health benefits and cardio is probably going to help most with that.

But, doing some strength training is unlikely to hurt you as long as you still have time for the cardio too. So, if you can do both, do both.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Strength training helps retain muscle mass while you lose weight. Without it, when you are skinnier, you're likely to still be flabby due to lack of muscle (skinny fat its called).

Girls look WAY better with some toned muscle than they do without it.

THIS!!
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I've lost 124 pounds and did strength training through the whole entire process. Your not going to see results in 2 weeks of strength training, so don't let that discourage you. Muscles are just as important in your health. Strength training helps keep them healthy, too!
  • cdpark617
    cdpark617 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You lost 100# with cardio and now you want to change it up for the last 100#?

Why, listen to your doctor, you can always tone once you lose that last 100.

You are doing great!
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Just saying, your doctor is a doctor and probably 80% of the people on here are not. Do what your doctor says. Focus on your cardio, and throw in some resistance training. Even if it's not lifting heavy, just something to keep your body toned. Since it's a substantial amount of weight you're aiming to lose strength/resistance will help the elasticity. Good luck! Feel free to add me if you want!
  • spippin73
    Options
    Emphasize...cardio, cardio, cardio. Light weights for tone. Cardio, cardio, cardio.!!!!! Congratulations btw.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I love weight training because it really makes me feel like I did something! I feel strong, lean and balanced. I think everyone should do a bit of it and then work their way up.
  • akb130
    akb130 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was stuck at a plateau for few months this summer even though I had been running 30+ miles a week. I incorporated strength training along with that cardio and started to lose weight again. Muscle burns fat, the more you build up now, the better. Your matabolism should increase as well, which maybe explaines why you were more hungry while you were doing strength training.

The following is from an article I found on the Livestrong website:

Resistance Training Burns Fat
    While cardio is generally associated more with burning fat than resistance training is, weight training plays a huge role in fat burning, as well as helping to increase muscle mass. According to strength coach Keith Scott, you can perform intensive weight training sessions that focus on compound free weight movements such as squats, lunges, chinups and presses, which will burn fat and build muscle at the same time.

Metabolic Rate
    Your metabolic rate is the speed at which your body burns calories, and the higher it is, the more calories you will burn, meaning you'll burn more fat. The amount of muscle you have plays a big role in your metabolic rate, as muscle tissue requires more calories to function properly than does fat tissue. The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolic rate will be, and the more fat you will burn.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/395823-how-does-muscle-burn-fat/#ixzz29lhvoJyt

Good Luck!!
  • drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I think the main reason why I haven't stuck wth weight training is because it's so intiidating. Do I use machines, free weights, simple movements, compound movements? UGH. Confusing

Start off with what you know and feel comfortable working with. As you get stronger, you can move to more advanced moves etc. Many times trainers or staff at a gym are willing to show you how to use certain machines etc. At my gym I went up to one of the membership counselors I know and he came out right then and showed me how to do dead lifts. There are also a lot of people in the gyms willing to help. Befriend someone doing thigns you would like to do and ask them for suggestions/instructions.