Ideas for 4 year old birthday party?

Options
JennInMA
JennInMA Posts: 33 Member
My daughter's "friends" party is on Saturday from 1pm to 4pm at my house.
We did a pinata last year, I was thinking of doing one again.

BUT if anyone has a good idea of something they did - heard of, etc...I'm open to it.

There will be about 10 kids there.

Replies

• MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I have had pony rides, inflatables, clowns... the whole BANG.
    You can always set up an "art" station. where they can make their own birthday hats/crowns whatever....Keep them busy.

This year I did it at the Little Gym for my daughters 4th birthday party. I loved it. Kept them busy...no clean up or set up from me. Unlike previous years lol
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My son turns 4 the end of the month. He wants a pinata. I think we might be renting a bounce house. It only costs $50 out here to rent for the day.
  • jfcincoski
    Options
    Yikes, that's a lot of kids for a 4 year old party!

At that age, we did traditional games like pin the tail on the donkey, only I think it was tail on the cat (cat themed party), Clothespin drop, maybe something with music? A simple craft like painting little pumpkins. MIchael's also has those fun foam shapes that I think you can decorate with markers.

Have fun!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    My daughter had a Super Mario Brothers themed party this year for her 4th birthday.

We had a pinata, which the kids loved. We also did a Mario themed obstacle course: black balloons as "bombs" taped to the floor they had to go through without popping; tunnels to crawl through (like the pipes in the game); plungers stuck to the ground to weave through; aluminum disposable pans painted like turtle shells and they had to carry yellow balloons (like the coins in the game) to the finish line.
    We also did a "pin the mustache on the Mario" and had a coin hunt - I got cheap plastic gold coins at the dollar store and hid them all over the room (we rented a community center) and they had to find them all.
    The party went over pretty well and all the kids had a good time!
  • Turtlehurdle
    Options
    Look into another cultures for ideas! I mean Americans have already adopted the piñata... I am certain you will be able to find many!

What kind of things does your child like?
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    This past year, we had a joint birthday party for my boys since they were both born in April. We went all out with a petting zoo and pony ride. It may be a little late for that, but the inflatables are a good idea. Also if you can get a cotton candy machine, those go over well. We also went to a party once where my boys got to make their own superhero cape. They loved that! We went to a pirate them party where they had a guy dressed as a pirate and he led them all in games and such.
  • roundrunner
    roundrunner Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    A friend went to a "Cookie Monster" party. The kids decorated cookies, and at the end they put out trays of different kinds of cookies and had the kids pick out cookies for a take home treat bag. Thought it was a cute idea & very simple, and my friend said the kids loved it. Wish I'd thought of it when my son was younger!
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It's October, do bobbing for apples or hang cider donuts from the ceiling as the kids try to eat them without using their hands.
  • Fr33zefram3
    Fr33zefram3 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I work at a kids store, and although we do birthday parties there, I also get to hear a lot about other parties they've had.

One I really think that went over well and didn't cost a thing was a Fashion Show party. The girls got to dress up in a few of moms clothes, she laid out a runway and took pictures. They spent the first half of the party doing their hair and makeup together, then hit the "runway" and apparently it was a huge success.

I love the cookie monster idea too, simple yet fun!
  • JennInMA
    JennInMA Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    thanks for the ideas...

we've done pinatas - as my husband is mexican, it sort of has made sense.

It is a mix of ages, boys/girls - I was thinking of something where they could decorate something...but i'm not sure. I don't know if a 5 year old boy wants to decorate something -

Unless I do cars for the boys and something princessy for the girls...UGH. so darn hard!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    It's close to halloween, so maybe play on that?

Smallish pumpkins and paint wouldn't be too expensive.

One year we did a "cake walk" we all drew pumpkins and used them as place markers. you have enough places for everyone minus 1. It's similar to musical chairs. last one standing gets a price.

good luck now. Just remember, as the years go by, kids expect "bigger and better". If you get a bounce house now, what do you think they'll expect at 8, 10, 13 and so on?
  • JPLYLER09
    JPLYLER09 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    ran into the same problem when my daughter wanted a princess party...

go to the dollar store and you might get some ideas for craft stuff