Am I Nuts?

Options
I feel that with every pound I lose, I am dealing with more and more emotional crap. More unresolved stuff...things that are starting to really stir up sadness and anger. Is it because now I'm not pushing it all down with food? Am I supposed to find a healthy way of dealing with it all? It seems rather ovewhelming to deal with all of this at once while trying to keep a positive attitude about my new healthy eating/exercising lifestyle. Like- I should be ecstatic about my success thus far, but all I feel is raaaaage! What is going on? :angry:

Replies

• peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Well, this is beyond my area of expertise. I hope you find the answers you're looking for.
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have it better figured out than you think. Were you an emotional eater before you started this journey? If so, why? This might be the perfect time to join some sort of martial arts class and therapy. One lets out the rage, and the other will help you through the emotional wasteland that is the proverbial heart.
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I think I sort of understand what you mean. As I lose more and more weight there are some things that come up that I am not sure how to deal with emotionally because I used to with food. More so for me the more weight I lose the more body image issues I have. I think it's because when I was extremely fat I didn't care what I looked like, now I am starting to care and disliking what I see in the mirror.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    For me, lifting heavy helps with anger, while distance running helps clear my thoughts. If this helps at all :/
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    balance will come my child
  • aStrongerSteph
    aStrongerSteph Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely dealing with the same thing. As I get closer to goal, I seem to freak out more than I can relax. It's like my best friend is gone (food) and I have to deal with all my stuff alone. Scares me to death some days.
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Try incorporating a yoga class into your routine. The breathing and calming really helped me when I was dealing with a bunch of adjustment issues.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Next!

But seriously - I went through the same thing. I recommend years of therapy.
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Two words...video games. This is how I release stress. But for a girl it may be a bit different:P
  • GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Two words...video games. This is how I release stress. But for a girl it may be a bit different:P

Not necessarily. Some girls game too. Blowing the heads off things can be quite cathartic. :drinker:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I feel that with every pound I lose, I am dealing with more and more emotional crap. More unresolved stuff...things that are starting to really stir up sadness and anger. Is it because now I'm not pushing it all down with food? Am I supposed to find a healthy way of dealing with it all? It seems rather ovewhelming to deal with all of this at once while trying to keep a positive attitude about my new healthy eating/exercising lifestyle. Like- I should be ecstatic about my success thus far, but all I feel is raaaaage! What is going on? :angry:

Some people can eat at a big calorie deficit and some people can't. Everyone is different. Even a small calorie deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones as such, add a new workout routine, and those will make more spikes. This is a huge waiting game and requires much patience. Add in emotional eating issues and then you have more complications.

Your body can only handle so much stress. Stress of any kind turns on the hunger hormones. Lack of sleep, fatigue, family issue, work stress, calorie deficits, all of it is stress. Sometimes it's better to eat at maintenance when you are stressed. Eating at maintenance is not going backwards, but eating to low and binging is going backwards. All you need is more forward days then backward days, or maintenance days, to lose weight.

We are all merely humans. Do the best you can. There is always something to be thankful for, ALWAYS, no matter how bad things are.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily. Some girls game too. Blowing the heads off things can be quite cathartic. :drinker:

Hopefully you're speaking about ZOMBIES!!! I love blowing heads off of zombies in games. Pretty much my favorite pass time.
  • OhioViking79
    OhioViking79 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I hear you, sister. Same deal here. I thought i would be happy about the weight loss, and i am, but my depression and my self esteem issues seem to be coming back as well, which i find a little strange. I agree with Jesse1379 - video games are great for stress, and so is a good, long workout. Therapy never did a lick for me, so find what works for you and go for it.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You are not nuts...I recommend yoga and plentiful orgasms...
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options

That's right! I love to play first person shooter games. It's a stress reliever!
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    you're not. I just take my anger out on weights and sadness I take for a long walk. if that doesn't work I use Scotch
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    No, you aren't nuts. You just need a new way to cope. Try a boxing/kickboxing class (also lots of good videos online for free), and I like the suggestions to lift and do yoga. When I'm pissed, lifting helps me get it out. When I'm anxious, yoga helps me calm down and find my center. After a good workout I always feel better and more ready to take on the day. And yes, many of us sometimes have relied on food now or in the past to get through the day. It's a matter of breaking that habit and finding a new way to deal with your emotions. Maybe also look into a new non-fitness hobby or try volunteering. Dog shelters always need volunteer dog walkers, and spending time with animals is a great way to relieve stress.
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Wow! What games does everyone play? I'm into BC2, PS2, BF3, and waiting for Black Ops 2 to come out.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Yes, and it started right away. I sometimes feel that I was happier doing nothing about certain problems, then I get a mental image of myself in the kitchen eating-eating-eating, and nothing getting better or worse except my health. I'm not happy about one of the decisions I made, but I feel better about having made a decision instead of stuffing it down with food.

Life is hard. Then we die.
  • GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Options

Wow! What games does everyone play? I'm into BC2, PS2, BF3, and waiting for Black Ops 2 to come out.

I'm really into RPGs so I play a lot of Fallout (RPG shooter), Mass Effect (same deal) and Skyrim (watching an arrow go through a monster's eye is awesome). I play a few shooters too. And I'm currently replaying God of War 2 where I get to hack off heads.