Mom of Special Needs child needs support!

Options
I've become overweight as soon as I hit puberty. Yo-yo ever since. I'm now 42. Tired of this. I am an emotional eater. I eat when I get stressed about work or get so worried about my child, who has high-functioning autism and ADHD. I can't do this alone -- I need support. I've never asked for help before but I am now. Please help!

Replies

• worldofme
    worldofme Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    While I admittedly know nothing about the challenges and joys of raising a special needs child, I am a mother of a teen and 3 toddlers. So, I can understand the exhaustion....

Stress eating is all about replacing. I am also a stress eater and have recently started chewing gum when I feel the urge to stress eat. Really seems to help...
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Hi sweetheart. I have an 8 year old autistic/OCD boy, its really tough especially when you need to be thinking more about yourself getting healthy, we've spent their whole lives worrying about them and putting ourselves second eh?
    Ive been back here a month and I feel so much better already, having control over myself makes me feel more in control of everything! Please feel free to add me :flowerforyou:
  • Samstudent88
    Options
    Special needs children are exhausting, and it is not their fault. Not many people know the day to day struggles of life. I don't want to call it dealing with the issues, because I find it unfair to judge those children. I'm not a mother of a special needs child, but my younger brother is developmentally retarded, and has autism. It is rough, and I feel so very much for you I know it was emotional for me growing up, and it still is but I know it has to be much more emotional as a mommy. I still don't like talking about it with people, because now I get to listen to the people that I thought were accepting of him say that he creeps them out. =(

Anyway, that's not the point. haha, sorry...emo time.

You might feel as though you're being selfish, but you're not. You or any parent has to take care of themself, so in turn you can take care and be there as long as possible for your children! I wish you the best, and don't give up on you.
  • cmaceluch
    Options
    Much respect and motivation goes out to you. I volunteered at my school program for children with special needs, and what a joy they are too be around. With that being said, it can also be stressful on yourself. Maybe find some recreational exercise activities that the two of you could do together to make it a little easier. Let me know if there's anything you need help with!
  • Rho_Ro
    Rho_Ro Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 55 and live in one of the safer suburbs of earthquake ravaged Christchurch. I have 2 adult children, one of whom has severe anxiety and depression. He is 27 with the symptoms steadily getting worse since about the age of 14. I know what it's like to walk on eggshells, to say the wrong thing and hear about it, to be constantly watching out for signs of his depression worsening and then getting help. And I've finally realised that I throw food into my mouth when I'm stressed, when I'm frustrated and when I'm feeling blah! Thing is I'm now aware of it so I'm better able to control it and I'm getting there, after being a yo-yo dieter for the past 30 years. I would love to help and support you so have a think on it and if you would like to, add me as a friend.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    {{{{{Big hugs}}}} I have two children with special needs and can understand where you are coming from.
  • rachgarm
    rachgarm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My son has autism as well, feel free to add me if you would like support
  • kaylalryan
    kaylalryan Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've become overweight as soon as I hit puberty. Yo-yo ever since. I'm now 42. Tired of this. I am an emotional eater. I eat when I get stressed about work or get so worried about my child, who has high-functioning autism and ADHD. I can't do this alone -- I need support. I've never asked for help before but I am now. Please help!

Hello!

I am here to support you! I have a 4 year old daughter as well as a special needs foster adult! I also have 4 foster brothers with autism (mom is a treatment foster parent).

I'm here to loose another 50lbs and I know how hard it is with all the stress. Let's all do this together! Feel free to add me!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have high functioning autism and I might be able to help.
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Both of my boys have Asperger's Syndrome and ADHD. My youngest also has an anxiety disorder and possibly bipolar. They are very challenging. It has left me at the end of the to-do list for years. I also stress eat and I'm not sure what to do about it. As a Mom, it's pretty much the only comfort I allow myself. I really feel your struggle on this. HUGS
  • shannonmci
    shannonmci Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Please fee free to add me. I have a four year old with verbal apraxia of speech. He has made leaps and bounds, but it is still a challenge. It does make every day tasks a bit harder. I wish you the best and will offer nothing but positive support!!
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me. I have a bipolar family member, a son with downs syndrome and a grandson with aspergers/adhd
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I understand. I have one child with special needs. He has Down syndrome and ADD. Anyone is welcome to add me.
  • buffcleb
    buffcleb Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    add me if you like... we have a high functioning autistic daughter with adhd as well... she's 9 and just started regular classes with an aid this year...
  • MeABride2B
    Options
    Hi There....

Support is one thing you'll find PLENTY of here! My mom urged me to join MFP about three weeks ago and it has truly helped me be accountable and aware of the food I consume and how much I'm moving.

I'm a big sister of the most wonderful younger brother with severe mental retardation (or intellectual disability as they call it now). He has Fragile X Syndrome which is genetic and presents similar to Autism. He is now 25 years old, living in a group home, and loving his life more and more every day. He's done all the things they told us he would never do - have a job, write, work out, cook, and become toilet trained. He's an inspiration. Last year, he decided he wanted to lose weight. He is about 6' tall and was weighing in about 250 lbs. He has lost 50 lbs in a year and half and all on his own. If he can do it, so can we!

I know my mom dealt with a lot of the stress that having a young child with special needs can offer. She survived it all by trying to refocus herself on other things and reminding herself that food would only be a temporary fix.

We're here to help. Feel free to add if you'd like.

Good luck :)
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I know what you're going through. I have a 25 year old son who is PDD and ADHD....plus I work in a group home taking care of special needs adults
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    My son has Down syndrome and I am a single mother (0 support from his dad or family on either side) so I definitely understand the challenges of raising a child with special needs. Feel free to add me!
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options

I have a 12 year old son with autism. Sending you a FR now!
  • jhermanas
    jhermanas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I adopted my foster children 5 yrs ago with my husband who passed away 1 1/2 yrs ago. My adopted son has anxiety issues; ADHD and is high functioning, but on the spectrum. I always turned to food to get me thru until earlier this year when I developed pre-diabetes/metabolic syndrome and realized if I don't start taking care of myself, who will take care of my children?!

I have 3 adult children (33, 29 and 25) and my twin 6 1/2 yr old adopted children, plus a 14 yr old grandaughter and a 3 yr old grandson....I'm 52 and starting life over. I've lost 14 lbs within the past 5 weeks by working out at the park district (Largest Loser class...similar to Biggest Loser show) 2x week and see a personal trainer 2x week. Changed my way of eating after being diagnosed and lost 35 lbs since January.

It is difficult with a special needs child, but you need to realize that if you don't start taking care of yourself, who will be there for your child....that is what motivated me...feel free to friend me!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Please add me if you wan any ideas, or to commiserate, or support or whatever.

My boys are all considered to be on the autism spectrum (from moderate to Aspergers), have ADD/ADHD/ Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, auditory processing issues, etc.. I homeschooled them for the past 11 years. my oldest is in his first year of college. It does get easier. But is a lot of work at first to learn how they learn to teach them what they need to be themselves yet cope and make it in life. Chin Up! You (and he) will survive!