MFP's Macro Auto Settings

Options
I was shocked to see that MFP automatically sets macros at 55% C/15% P/30% F - doesn't that seem unbalanced? I noticed that almost all my friends are over on protein every single day. Isn't lean protein a key part of losing weight? Why does MFP set protein so darn low and carbs way high??

Do you follow these guidelines or have you set your own? I've changed mine to 40% C/30% P/30% F and have been losing pretty steadily.

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I beleive the MFP settings are those recommended for the general public by the Institute of Health. Many people trying to lose weight may want a higher percentage of protein.

I upped mine to 25% protein. I can't really remember what the fat and carb is, but I don't eat by macros anyway. I nearly always exceed the fat goal. I should probably watch that more closely.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I also find the protein recommendation way too low. I reset my macros.
  • dj_bounz
    Options
    I just signed up with MFP today and noticed my macros are set way lower than my previous macros coming from Sparkpeople. I'll more than likely adjust to my previous macros.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I changed mine to 50/25/25

So far so good.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I also think 15% is way low and am doing 40/30/30. My friends are also always over on protein, I just looked. Weird they don't change this to adjust.
  • AiimeeDee
    AiimeeDee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    MFP does set it pretty low. Mine is currently set to 30/35/35. As soon as I started paying attention to getting more protein in my diet, body fat started decreasing, and the muscles I knew where there, finally came out to play.