Replies

• rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    ok, so my BMR=1,332

So, 1,332*1.4=1864.8

-20% OR 0.2=370.16

1864.8-370.16=1494.64????

Net Calories Consumed* and recommended a 1,200 Calories / Day .

or should I eat less than 1494.64 to loose weight?

1494 is 20% below your TDEE; you would eat this to lose weight. This number takes your exercise and BMR into account.
  • IllianaIman
    IllianaIman Posts: 131
    Options
    OP: Thanks for posting the question. I wasn't sure what it was either but I didn't want to post a question. This post and the answers have cleared up my confusion. Yay!

I am glad it helped. I was a little :blushing: to ask since I have seen very rude comments from some people on some posts, but that won't help me go no where!
    Have a great day!
  • rcharlee
    Options
    Here are my stats broken down; hopefully this can help too:

BMR: 1536

If I do 3-5 hours of moderate exercise per week my TDEE is 2380

I eat 20% below my TDEE to lose weight, which is 1904

Not all people can do a 20% deficit, you may need a 15% deficit. If a 20% deficit puts you below your BMR, you shouldn't do a 20% deficit.
  • rcharlee
    Options
    OP: Thanks for posting the question. I wasn't sure what it was either but I didn't want to post a question. This post and the answers have cleared up my confusion. Yay!

I am glad it helped. I was a little :blushing: to ask since I have seen very rude comments from some people on some posts, but that won't help me go no where!
    Have a great day!

There have been a lot of rude comments lately. It's getting hard for users to post without fear; I hope things simmer down, so we can focus on what's important. It's great that no one has been rude in here!
  • IllianaIman
    IllianaIman Posts: 131
    Options

Have a great day!

There have been a lot of rude comments lately. It's getting hard for users to post without fear; I hope things simmer down, so we can focus on what's important. It's great that no one has been rude in here!

Totally agree and thanks for your help! :flowerforyou:
  • mathews58
    mathews58 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This thread was so helpful!
    Thanks!
  • sewhappymomma
    Options
    I have been trying to figure this one out for awhile and this is starting to make since to me.

Going by the runners world website my calculated BMR is 1728

Your Basal Metabolic Rate:

Your BMR is 1728

Total Daily Calorie Needs:

Calories Activity Level
    2073 Sedentary
    2376 Lightly Active
    2678 Moderately Active
    2981 Very Active
    3283 Overly Active

My goal is to workout 6 days a week if I set my activity level to moderately active to be on the safe side. ( I just started the 30 day shred.. trying to do 2 workouts a day tho)

The calories I would need to consume to lose weight would be 2142.. Is that correct Thats a 20% deficient at moderately active.
  • AliciaAnne1984
    Options
    BUMP :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Folks - those multipliers thrown out in that 2nd post are incorrect to use.

Moderately active, which had no description of time, is for 3-5 hrs of exercise a week, is 1.55
    Lightly active, which is 1-3 hrs, is 1.375.

These are NOT the descriptions NOR multipliers that MFP uses either, because MFP considers NO exercise in their daily maintenance.

So don't go confusing the too.

Here's a better way to save your stats. Spreadsheet in this link, topic in a great group.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm
  • heybales
    Options
    I have been trying to figure this one out for awhile and this is starting to make since to me.

Your BMR is 1728

Calories Activity Level
    2073 Sedentary
    2376 Lightly Active
    2678 Moderately Active
    2981 Very Active
    3283 Overly Active

My goal is to workout 6 days a week if I set my activity level to moderately active to be on the safe side. ( I just started the 30 day shred.. trying to do 2 workouts a day tho)

The calories I would need to consume to lose weight would be 2142.. Is that correct Thats a 20% deficient at moderately active.

So 6 days a week is NOT Mod Active, that is Very active. Hope you know how to stagger hard and light efforts to actual benefit from all that exercise, besides just wearing out and causing undue stress, along with undereating if you select Mod Active.

You get Very Active actually, 6 hrs or more weekly.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options

Your BMR is 1728

Calories Activity Level
    2073 Sedentary
    2376 Lightly Active
    2678 Moderately Active
    2981 Very Active
    3283 Overly Active

The 20% deficit is if you have more than 10 lbs to lose. If you are close to goal then you should be closer to a 10% deficit.
    If you have a lot to lose - obese BMI - then you can usually do a 30% deficit.
    Just be sure to redo the calculation for every 10 lbs you lose.
    Remember that this is a daily goal and you do not chase after exercise cal since they are built in. You will have a lower net on workout days and a higher one on recovery days. check that you macros are set for at least 30% protein. The MFP default is too low. You should get at least 1 gm protein per pound of lean body mass.

Also your activity level is at least moderate to very active if your doing the 30 day shred.
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    how do i find my BMR?
  • heybales
    Options
    how do i find my BMR?

MFP - Apps - BMR tool
  • heybales
    Options
    how do i find my BMR?

MFP - Apps - BMR calculator
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mom_To_5
    Options
    ok, thanks, it just used to be under tools, that's why i couldn't find it, "tools" was gone!!
  • Mom_To_5
    Options
    so according to this site http://theskinnyequation.blogspot.ca/p/weight-loss-calculators.html

my BMR is 1129 and my TDEE is 1355 as of today and when i get to my goal weight it will be BMR 1061 and TDEE 1273, so how many calories should i be eating right now in order to lose, MFP has me at 1200 a day, now when i get to my goal weight, how many should i be eating then??

Any help would be great!! Kinda confused on how this works
  • heybales
    Options
    so according to this site http://theskinnyequation.blogspot.ca/p/weight-loss-calculators.html

my BMR is 1129 and my TDEE is 1355 as of today and when i get to my goal weight it will be BMR 1061 and TDEE 1273, so how many calories should i be eating right now in order to lose, MFP has me at 1200 a day, now when i get to my goal weight, how many should i be eating then??

Any help would be great!! Kinda confused on how this works

So you do no exercise, 40 hr desk job, sitting in the evenings, and bump on a log on weekends?

Because you selected Sedentary level.

If that is indeed true and you don't expect the exercise to come into play, just easy daily life, then use the spreadsheet in this topic.

Get stats filled in, and on bottom right is alternate method for Eating For Future You, which is eating your goal weight daily maintenance, minus a slight deficit so you'll actually reach it.

Since you have little left to lose, that would be best to avoid losing any muscle. Confirm you follow the protein recommendation, since you are doing no exercise to help retain muscle mass.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
  • Mom_To_5
    Options
    i don really have time to do any exercise right now and can't use my treadmill as it is too cold out, i am not working, i go to school and we have a business that i do the paperwork for so i am always sitting, either at school or in fronot of a computer or driving kids around to various activities Once it warms up and i can use my treadmill i will be back on it all the time. I need to tone as well but that will come AFTER i get to my goal weight.

I saw that spreadsheet but i won't let me change any of the numbers in it. As for little left to lose i have 15 lbs to lose, i needed to lose 22, I'm only 5 ft tall or i guess i should say 5 ft short!! lol

still not sure how much i should be eating though?
  • Mom_To_5
    Options
    also, when i'm not in school or doing the books for our business, i am still on the pc looking/applying for jobs but even wheni do find one i will be sitting in front of a pc all day since i do accounting.