Anxiety

Options
2»

Replies

• Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Oh it is much worse around "that time of the month". I can totally relate with you on that. I also work in a quiet office. When I feel anxious or panic little things will startle me too.

Sounds just like all of us :) you're not alone :flowerforyou:

Not to be argumentative, but not all of us. I've never seen a relationship between anxiety and menstruation, even when keeping logs for my therapist and doctors. I'm not saying it's not common, but it's certainly not universal.

I agree. I tracked my mood for two years straight and there was no correlaton between menstruation and my mood.

Me neither. It is know that birth control can bring on feelings of anxiety during the time of month, but I don't have that either.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that writing really helped me.

Whenever I would get upset or anxious, I would write it all out of my head. That way it was on a piece of paper and not in my head.

Also learning to actively learn the way you are thinking and making yourself see whether your thoughts are actually based on reality.
    So, for example, you thinking that others will not like you, brings on feelings of anxiety and you won't go to a party. You have to become aware of that you are thinking this and then learn to think: is this actually true or is it just a false assumption?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I haven't really bad anxiety but haven't done anything about it. =/
  • jenna25
    jenna25 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    im only in my twenties and shouldnt have this much stress already.

This statement is amazingly laughable. First, people of all ages suffer from significant stress, from children to elders. Second, while stress often makes the symptoms of anxiety disorders worse, and is often associated with the onset of anxiety disorders, for people who have anxiety disorders, the anxiety often exists even when the person is not under obviously high levels of stress.

One, thank you for laughing at me...thats really nice in a support group. Two, i was stating that the doctor was saying at my age i should be living care free and enjoying life because you are only young once... and i should control the things i can but try to not let the things i cant control cause me to worry and Three, i cant control my stress/anxiety whatever you want to call it.... thanks for the support...
  • dblscps1
    Options
    [quote

This statement is amazingly laughable. First, people of all ages suffer from significant stress, from children to elders. Second, while stress often makes the symptoms of anxiety disorders worse, and is often associated with the onset of anxiety disorders, for people who have anxiety disorders, the anxiety often exists even when the person is not under obviously high levels of stress.

One, thank you for laughing at me...thats really nice in a support group. Two, i was stating that the doctor was saying at my age i should be living care free and enjoying life because you are only young once... and i should control the things i can but try to not let the things i cant control cause me to worry and Three, i cant control my stress/anxiety whatever you want to call it.... thanks for the support...
    [/quote]

I understood your comment. Some people should think before speaking...you may offend someone. I hv no "wonderful" ideas and so I won't offer any. I hope that all of you are managing well or find something that works for you. Nothing is a one size fits all and pharmaceuticals are NOT always the way to go unless your overall daily functioning is affected. I had a doctor's appt today and my only complaint was a little anxiety when I feel I don't hv enough time in the day and some stress (which is rare for me). Heart palpitations are not new for me but may hv increased because of the stress and anxiety. I just remember to breathe deeply. Sometimes it works...other times it doesn't. He asked me if I wanted meds and I declined. If you are worrying about something you can fix apply action...if you can't fix it move on to the next. Nothing is worth your health. One last thing I want to add is, find ways (that work for you) to cope. Most of our stress and anxiety comes from our inability to cope or lack of coping skills. Once we figure out what the root of the problem is we can learn adaptive behaviors that reduce symptoms. Once again...wishing you all the best! ;)
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Oh it is much worse around "that time of the month". I can totally relate with you on that. I also work in a quiet office. When I feel anxious or panic little things will startle me too.

My husband was the one to point this out. I often get a little depressed a day or two before my TOM. I was diagnosed with chronic depression at 19, I had been depressed since I was about 12 and it slowly started getting better in my mid twenties. I was on anti-depressants for 6 years but finally got off of them and haven't been clinically depressed for about 5 years now. I still have my occasional bad days, I still have anxiety problems occasionally as well but these are under control.
    Exercise worked well for me, and a really good counsellor. I tried a few before I found one that I connected with.
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

I understood what you meant as well, that the doctor was saying that. I have a very depressed mother and have beat depression myself but I would never pretend to know everything about it and preach to others about it.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    As a coaching psychologist in training I am always concerned when people self diagnose. It can be dangerous so please go to a medical professional so they can assess your situation with you.

I hope you get some resolution.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Passive-aggressive much? You completely misunderstood what they were saying. No one was LAUGHING at you--the idea that "I shouldn't have stress at this age" is laughable... like in a sad sort of way. People are under tremendous amounts of stress--young adults are famously under more and more stress today.
  • snowdrop_diva
    snowdrop_diva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Anxiety and PTSD here.
    Exercise helps, the more I do the less anxious I feel.
    Talking about it or writing about it helps sometimes, but not always for me.

Even as a child I was pretty high strung and anxious about things.
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety...I started going to therapy and my therapist helped me figure out the underlying cases of my anxiety. We use cognitive behavioral therapy. Using a "thought record" helps me dissect my feelings and anxiety. My anxiety has gotten much better the past 6 monthes. You can google search "CBT thought record" to see what I am talking about. :)
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    PS I have never used medicine for my anxiety.
  • lauranicole823
    Options

Sounds just like all of us :) you're not alone :flowerforyou:

Not to be argumentative, but not all of us. I've never seen a relationship between anxiety and menstruation, even when keeping logs for my therapist and doctors. I'm not saying it's not common, but it's certainly not universal.

I agree. I tracked my mood for two years straight and there was no correlaton between menstruation and my mood.

Me neither. It is know that birth control can bring on feelings of anxiety during the time of month, but I don't have that either.
  • lauranicole823
    Options
    I take birth control and I do get anxiety the entire week before I get my period. Everyone is different. I try to just exercise, eat well and think positively. I get through it. Sometimes it feels unbarable but I manage. Some day I will see a therapist. I don't have insurance right now and live paycheck to paycheck. Until then I will have to deal. Because I don't have a clue why I am the way I am. Someone needs to help me find out why! :) Thank you all for your input! It's very much appreciated! :bigsmile:
  • lauranicole823
    Options
    I have anxiety...I started going to therapy and my therapist helped me figure out the underlying cases of my anxiety. We use cognitive behavioral therapy. Using a "thought record" helps me dissect my feelings and anxiety. My anxiety has gotten much better the past 6 monthes. You can google search "CBT thought record" to see what I am talking about. :)
  • lauranicole823
    Options
    Thanks I will google that right now!
This discussion has been closed.