Need HRM. Suggestions, please?

Options
Now that I'm finally in the routine of counting calories and working out, I'm wanting to get a HRM. Which kind have you found to be the most accurate?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Anything by Polar with a chest strap.
  • missallenxox
    missallenxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have a polar with strap .had it for 5 years and use it every workout. Best 150 I ever spent
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    PolarFT7.....love it!
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I would take into consideration what type of workouts you would like to do and whether you want to focus on improving your fitness or just burn some calories. If the latter, a Polar FT7 is a great HR monitor. If you would like to be a better runner, cyclist, swimmer, etc. then you might want to do some research on what other HR monitor's are available. Even though you may only be trying to burn some calories now, you might find yourself craving a challenge that helps you train for a goal (e.g. running a Half Marathon). Also, what is your budget?
  • Lindsay_Kay
    Lindsay_Kay Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would take into consideration what type of workouts you would like to do and whether you want to focus on improving your fitness or just burn some calories. If the latter, a Polar FT7 is a great HR monitor. If you would like to be a better runner, cyclist, swimmer, etc. then you might want to do some research on what other HR monitor's are available. Even though you may only be trying to burn some calories now, you might find yourself craving a challenge that helps you train for a goal (e.g. running a Half Marathon). Also, what is your budget?

That's smart. Right now, I'm just trying to burn calories but I always like a good challenge. For budget, I was thinking anywhere under 200...

By the way congrats on your 31lb lost :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn

Realize the limitations of it for the workouts you will be using it for.

Steady state cardio only will be needed, correct stats will be required, and potential big grain of salt on final results anyway.

Polar with VO2max stat or Garmin with Firstbeat algorithms would be the best for your purpose.
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and love it. Got it for 60 bucks on Amazon.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Polar FT4. I love it! All I needed was time, calorie burn, and heart rate. No extra shenanigans and pretty accurate.

I just gotta ask.

Accurate in reading your heart rate consistently, or accurate in the calorie burn estimate?

If the latter, why do you think so?

I agree on the former.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    My research suggests that the polar FT-7 is an excellent value.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT80 and I swear by it for one reason. It will test your current fitness level and set target heart rate zones to either maintain or improve your current fitness level. You pick whatever exercise you like, but you have to push yourself to the proper zones. It updates your targets based on your previous workouts and will tell you if you are working too hard or too little each week. I live by this thing!