Injured back.

Options
In the summer, I hurt my back so bad I wasn't able to move for three weeks, no bending, no sitting up in bed, no rolling over, nothing. The doctor said eventually it would go away, but I would never fully recover, because I could never lift really heavy things again.
This was august.
Last week, I was running after the kids I look after, and I stopped weird, and felt a pain in my back, not as bad as before, and figured I'd just irritated it.. no jumping on the trampoline, running or jumping rope, no lifting the kids up for a few days and it would go away I figured, well unfortuantely this morning I had to run to bring something to the kids on the bus, and I must've done something again, because it's KILLING ME...

I'm wondering what exercises you can do when you can't run, you can't bend, you can't lift anything heavy (even a 50 or 40 lb kid) and you can't jump or really move, (other than swimming) because this is going on near two weeks now and it's getting ridiculous. Also if you know of anything that I can do to HELP my back, maybe physio, or a chiropractor or something, that would be great. It's killing me and tylenol and laying around just isn't helping me at ALL.

Has anyone had this happen? How do you deal with a back injury? Does it go away over time and fully heal, or am I never going to be able to lift things again/run again?

Replies

• jday53405
    Options
    I am kinda dealing with the same issue. Every couple months I tweak my lower back. Yours seems way more extreme, since I am only out about a week before it gets better. If it feels like mine does right now, I can't even think of an exercise that wouldn't be painful. Sorry, I guess I am pretty much no help on this one.
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I would say go see a physical therapist. But in the mean time, mine is a muscle problem, so I am supposed to heat my back before I exercise/stretch/whatever then ice it down after wards. Basically loosen it up, then tighten it back down. But definitely go see someone on how to specifically work your problem areas. I dealt with severe back pain for 17 years before I finally was able to see someone that diagnosed the problem instead of just telling me, "If you lose weight it won't hurt." (because that wasn't the problem)

Happy healing, and I hope that some good pt will help you out!
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to see a physical therapist to determine what exercises are safe for you to do! And more importantly, HOW to do them correctly. (IMO, and I am a PT :) )
  • noseovertail
    Options
    I had spinal surgery in November and I am not allowed to bend, twist, or lift anything over 20 lbs. I've been seeing a physical therapist and it's been helping me SO MUCH.

If you haven't seen a doctor for your back already I'd go see one, just to make sure you don't have a herniated disc (that's what I had). They will usually give you an xray or MRI to rule it out. You could also see a pain management doctor, they are the drs that prescribe pain medication, give cortisone shots or epidurals, etc. I would definitely *not* see a chiropractor until you know what is really wrong.. because if it's a slipped or herniated disc they can do a lot more harm than good.

As far as exercises go, I've been walking on the treadmill at a brisk pace for about 30 minutes, or I ride a stationary bicycle. Sometimes I hold 5 lbs weights while I do those activities too. I do more strength & core exercises at my physical therapist and we use a workout ball sometimes.
  • DG82
    DG82 Posts: 105
    Options
    I can totally relate on this issue unfortunately :-( I have had scoliosis since the age of 16 (when it was discovered) so I was used to at least some amount of daily back pain in my lower back. When my normal back pain went from bad to worse I became concerned... when the pain started radiating down my leg I was even more freaked out! So, long story short I had two herniated (actually they ruptured) discs, my L4 and L5 in my lower back. It's the absolute worst pain I have ever been in in my life... Check out my blog (skim through) to see how I helped to alleviate my pain and worked through this hardship. (It's easier than me re-typing it all out!). Hope this might help out. :-) I have to also watch what I do so I don't overstrain my back while doing normal activities, etc. so feel free to keep in touch on this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/DG82
  • justsalad
    justsalad Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I had spinal surgery in November and I am not allowed to bend, twist, or lift anything over 20 lbs. I've been seeing a physical therapist and it's been helping me SO MUCH.

If you haven't seen a doctor for your back already I'd go see one, just to make sure you don't have a herniated disc (that's what I had). They will usually give you an xray or MRI to rule it out. You could also see a pain management doctor, they are the drs that prescribe pain medication, give cortisone shots or epidurals, etc. I would definitely *not* see a chiropractor until you know what is really wrong.. because if it's a slipped or herniated disc they can do a lot more harm than good.

As far as exercises go, I've been walking on the treadmill at a brisk pace for about 30 minutes, or I ride a stationary bicycle. Sometimes I hold 5 lbs weights while I do those activities too. I do more strength & core exercises at my physical therapist and we use a workout ball sometimes.

I had an x-ray, haven't done anything that they can see, I was just torn between chiropractor and physiotherapist, and it sounds like physio is a good way to go ! Sorry to hear about your spinal surgery, geeze, what did you do ?!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

I had an x-ray, haven't done anything that they can see, I was just torn between chiropractor and physiotherapist, and it sounds like physio is a good way to go ! Sorry to hear about your spinal surgery, geeze, what did you do ?!

I would go the PT way. I'm biased because I've been in the industry for a 10+ years. :laugh: My dad swears by his chiro but to me they are just a quick fix. They treat the symptoms but not the problem. That's why people have to consistently go to their chiropractors all the time. Physical therapy can figure out what the problem is and then take care of it for you.
  • noseovertail
    Options

I had two herniated discs, one humongous one at my L4/L5, and another smaller one at my L5/S1. I have no idea what caused it, I've been having back issues for about 11 years now. Now that I'm on my husband's good insurance I decided to bite the bullet and have surgery. I have 2 screws & a titanium rod where my L4/L5 used to be. We decided not to have surgery on my L5/S1 because healing after a 2 level fusion has a much lower success rate than just the one. So I totally understand your back issues! I hope you feel better.