Pre-Eating Anyone?

Options
Anyone else do this?

When I know I'm going to end up eating out, I eat a few things just before leaving. Some lean sandwich meat, a hard boiled egg, a few pickles...whatever I can get that'll take the edge off my hunger and not wreck my numbers.
Helps me make better choices when I'm out to eat and there are so many yummy bad choices to be made.

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely.
  • swthrtsmrf
    Options
    Never done that, but sounds like a good idea.
  • MeccaLoves2Sleep
    MeccaLoves2Sleep Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yup. I'll also do the opposite when I know I am going out and will have some drinks. I don't eat a calories heavy breakfast or lunch and "save" the calories for later.
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    Totally do this. Same with before we go shopping.
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yup. I'll also do the opposite when I know I am going out and will have some drinks. I don't eat a calories heavy breakfast or lunch and "save" the calories for later.

Ditto
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    yep i do it too
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I do this before going grocery shopping but not before going to a restaurant. Before I go out to eat I preplan my meal from the nutrition info on the restaurant's menu and figure out my meal before I go. Then when offered a menu, I pass on that so I wont be tempted by something else.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I do this before going grocery shopping but not before going to a restaurant. Before I go out to eat I preplan my meal from the nutrition info on the restaurant's menu and figure out my meal before I go. Then when offered a menu, I pass on that so I wont be tempted by something else.

I've tried this...unfortunately, my wife then switches where we're going at the last minute.
    I haven't made any decisions like that in almost 20 years. :-)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Anyone else do this?

When I know I'm going to end up eating out, I eat a few things just before leaving. Some lean sandwich meat, a hard boiled egg, a few pickles...whatever I can get that'll take the edge off my hunger and not wreck my numbers.
    Helps me make better choices when I'm out to eat and there are so many yummy bad choices to be made.

Oh yeah. I do it too. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't work. There is always tomorrow to start with a clean slate if it doe not work. We are all merely human. We were meant to enjoy food. Your calorie budget can be weekly, not just daily. You can have high calorie days and low calorie days. It won't kill you. It's not the end of the world. For weight loss all you need is more forward days compared to backward or even maintenance days. No worries. Just do the best you can.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Actually, I only do that when the food at the event doesn't excite me. If I can get an exceptional meal out I don't worry about the calories. It's only one meal.
  • xxcooneyxx
    xxcooneyxx Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Pre-eating sounds like a good idea. Right now I do pre-planning.

Meaning, I go on the restaurants web page and find the best thing to eat and the calories it costs, before hand. That way I can plan my day around it and don't have a heart attack when I come home and find out what I ate was 5,000 calories :laugh:
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Nope. If I'm going out somewhere, I want to be able to enjoy it.

I just eat less, order something smaller or take the leftovers home for the next day.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I haven't thought of that.
    I do the opposite and save myself for the big dinner, cutting back on the breakfast and lunch cals.
    I suppose if I didn't like the cuisine it would be a good idea. Trouble is I like nearly everything!
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough, we have always done that before going out for dinner - even before MFP.

Our household eats at 6pm - we just found it a good time for those who have sports etc.

When we go out to dinner with friends (like tonight for example) the booking is usually for 7:30-8:30 and we don't get to eat until at least 8pm-9pm. I am gnawing my legs off by that stage so hubby and I have always had a light 5pm pre-din when we go out. I have found that we don't order entrees or have dessert usually and I think our pre-din is the reason.

Tonight I am going for the entree size as a main meal, and drinking unflavoured mineral water with a slice of lime in between drinks.(it looks like a mixer drink but it isn't - my sneaky secret)
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS eat before i go out! ALWAYS. It just makes sense! A HUGE salad.. even snack on some lean meats in the car on the way.. or an apple (if im not with the people who are the invites, of course)

If im the one inviting.. then i will eat with them in the car. If asked why? I tell them.. it helps me buy and shove less of the bad shiz down my throat. simple as that. If they give me the "you have to live" or you "cant diet all the time" spill.. i give the "yeah, live longer" and the "i dont diet, i choose this" back at them.

There is nothing they can throw at me, and if they keep trying.. i simply say "a friend wouldnt give me shiz about what i choose for my own life. They would be proud of me and glad im changing my life.. not jealous. Besides, Im not shoving my ways down your throat.. " and then i get up and leave. Simple as that.. but, im kind of thick skinned and a b*tch too. LOL!

But yeah, i ALWAYS snack on the good stuff.. i also eat the goods on the way to the grocery store.. AND car rules are.. if you wanna go to the grocery store with me.. you have to eat at least 1 apple and a cup of other fruit or you cant go. This saved me just over $100 THIS WEEK with my husband and one child going with me. You wanna buy less crap when you arent hungry. =)

Try it!!

:drinker:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Yes I have done this a lot...it's a great strategy sometimes!
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options

I've tried this...unfortunately, my wife then switches where we're going at the last minute.

LOL, are you saying you are letting your wife wear the pants in the house? OK, tell her to pick 3 restaurants and she has to go to ONE of them and meanwhile you plan 3 different meals. Of course, you could look the info up on your phone too. And most restaurants can provide you with the nutrition info, if you ask for it.

But your idea is good too! Personally I just pare down what I eat the rest of the day and usually get whatever I want for dinner. Going over one meal isnt a deal breaker for me as long as I stay within my caloric goal for the week.
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I only do it if it is going to be later than when we normally eat or I am exceptionally hungry. I usually eat a little less during the day, if I know I am going out in the evening.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

LOL, are you saying you are letting your wife wear the pants in the house? OK, tell her to pick 3 restaurants and she has to go to ONE of them and meanwhile you plan 3 different meals. Of course, you could look the info up on your phone too. And most restaurants can provide you with the nutrition info, if you ask for it.

But your idea is good too! Personally I just pare down what I eat the rest of the day and usually get whatever I want for dinner. Going over one meal isnt a deal breaker for me as long as I stay within my caloric goal for the week.

"Letting" You mean I don't have to let her? The last decision I made was to get married and I'm not so sure that was my idea. :bigsmile:
  • TriPixie
    Options
    Doing it right now...having an apple and some chicken breast before I attend a ladies hor d' vours party. :) Great topic!