How do you feel about working out in groups?

Options
I'd never been too keen on working out with friends -- I was afraid that I would be too easily distracted and not push myself like I do when I'm on my own. But two close friends of mine are trying to get in shape and wanted someone to exercise with who had some experience, and I fit the bill. :) We went to the gym together and had a great time. I'll admit I didn't push as hard as I would have on my own, but I made up for it by working out for much longer than I would have normally. Instead of staying for my usual 25 minutes, I stayed for an hour, and I burned 500 calories instead of 250. All in all, it was a great day!

Do you work out with friends? How has it worked out for you?

Replies

• smalleyez06
    smalleyez06 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I used to but I have no one to currently work out with. I have a few ppl I have met at the gym and they have invited me for runs but they are in much better shape than myself and I always come up with a reason not to go, maybe I should stop this and just join them. Anyways...if you got a good work out in and had a good time continue. If you find yourself slacking then that is when you either need to talk with your friends about maybe chatting too much and being more serious as this is valuable time for you or stop the group workouts.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    i feel great after my group classes... i always station myself behind the girl with the nice body so looking at her goods gets me through the classes.

as far as lifting with a partner i like to go to the gym on my own because my friends tends to be procrastinators... we will set a time to go and then they end up wasting time and then i end up missing my workout. so i get my 2 hours a day in the gym on my own. plus when you work out with someone their strength may not be up to yours then you have to spend time switching the plates on the bar out
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I don't like people so I'm generally against it.
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I'm not opposed to it. The only problem is my schedule doesn't really allow for it so I do my workouts at the house. I'd love to give Crossfit a try, but the times offered here are tough for me to make.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it depends on the group. as long as we all have the same mindset then i'm with it. i've started crossfit and i love it! it reminds me of group workouts we'd have when i played sports. everyone was always pushing to do their best . people who finished their sets sooner would cheer on the others to push through. plus it's really motivating to see someone else push through when you want to stop.

the group exercises i tend to hate are the ones where 2 people just come to talk and half-*kitten* work out usually getting in the way because they arent paying attention to anything besides their conversation
  • misspau
    Options
    As long as the other person works as hard as me and we're both focused on working out and help eachother i think is ok; I've tried many times going wiht friends (and even though it's nice to have company) most of the times they distract me and i don't work as much as i do on my own, plus they always end up giving up on the gym ( lol so many people have come with me but most of them are so lazy & they don't come back, only a few have sticked to it) but if i'm up to choose, i much rather working out on my own to be honest, it's kind of my personal time.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    it's not for me. i'm a lone worker outer.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I go to fitness classes and it works for me. I think in a class environment, I am pushed harder than I might push myself alone in the gym.

I do a mixture of classes, alone days in the gym lifting and playing tennis.
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Depends on who it's with, honestly. There are some people that I love to work out with -- they are ready to kick *kitten* at the gym and so am I. It's really helpful because they are there to motivate and encourage you. And sometimes they are there to make sure you're doing your best work, even when you want to quit.

But there are some people who I refuse to go to the gym with because they won't ever challenge themselves -- their workouts consist of level one elliptical work or walking on the treadmill every time.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Working out with my friend is what got me into a regular routine. We'd do the machines for half an hour and then walk and chat for half an hour. I love it. =) Now I work out longer so we don't get to talk as much, but we're in the habit and still go.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    it's the best when we PT in the morning and start the run with a guy that can call cadence man it gets you pumped
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy it. I regard my workout time as zone-out-and-relax time, and having to attend to someone else takes away the pleasure and freedom for me. When I'm working out I'd rather just be left alone.

I do the occasional boot camp and aquafit class, but mainly just to add some variety to my workouts.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I'm a loner, except for rock climbing.
  • Restlessme
    Restlessme Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I would love to work out with my friends...but sadly none of them like physical activity. I do enjoy workout classes though...so that kinda counts as working in a group right?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Never have. I guess I wouldn't mind. I don't really see the point though. It would just make it take longer to get it and out of there, but if I had plenty of time I guess it wouldn't matter. It might be fun to have someone to talk to.... but I don't really know anyone that does the same kind of workout that I would do.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Oh, you mean working out with a group of friends. From the topic I thought you meant fitness classes. Whenever I've been in my best shape, it's usually because I have a person or group to work out with. You have accountability so you don't skip workouts nearly as often. You have a spotter at all times so you never hesitate to go all out. You have people to compete with/impress/show how it's done so you don't just go thru the motions.

Whenever I've worked out with a group, the positives outweighed the negatives. Hell, there were no negatives. One of the driving forces behind me getting in better shape this year after years of slacking off was that I found a training partner at the beginning of the year. Since January there has only been one missed workout, and that was by me sleeping thru my alarm.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I often work out in a group and like you I find I workout longer in a group on most days. The group has energy and pushes me along.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I hate it. I spend enough time being part of the 'hive mind' in day to day life. I don't need to do the same for my workouts.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    I love my group fitness classes. I have a workout buddy too so we are always there at 5:30 am. It's great when someone is pushing you and telling you what to do. And then when you think you can't go on anymore you look to the left and to the right and you see others pushing through and it gives you that boost that you need.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I like having a workout partner. It lets me push myself harder since I know I have someone I trust spotting me properly but unfortunately I workout alone right now. My schedule does not match up with my friends. Good thing about working out alone though is I get to put my headphones in and get no distractions just put myself in the zone.