I am new and having the hardest time!

Options
2»

Replies

• Joynhrt
    Options
    I eat 5-6 times a day. 3 regular meals and 2-3 snacks. I have over 100lbs to lose and it has helped me make this a much easier process this time around.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    You're wanting to eat out of habit..changing those habits are one hard thing to do. Break up your meals and snacks so you're eating more often can help. Making sure to drink plenty of water is another. Keeping yourself busy is the best.
  • kel665
    kel665 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I get up and do something to take my mind off it. I have made a list of a heap of things I need to get done and do something off that list, it might be something like cleaning out my daughters sock drawer, but it's enough to take my mind off things and usually I feel good that I got that job done and then go and do something else, so it's working twofold for me!
    I also get on here and look at the success stories, so many normal people doing it all by themselves, it really inspires me and makes me want to hang in there and do it too.
    I logged in for my 30th day today and I am finding this "healthy eating and getting moving" lifestyle a lot easier than when I first started.
  • jeleclekat
    jeleclekat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    i rocked like a crack addict on the couch! After 2 weeks or so, i was fine. I had to keep reminding myself what would happen if i threw in the towel. Did i want to stay the same, or worse, get even bigger?? I know it dates me, but knitting or doing cross stitch helped.

hey - I'm only 61, but I love cross stitching!!! (I have some recent pics in profile) I'm up til 3am stitching after hubby and the kitties are down for the night. Can't do much stitching with the cats around...lol It does keep your mind off things, though I doo have a late night snack about 11 since I don't get up til 10:30 am. :)

I eat brunch, dinner and late night, but do have snack, too. Sometimes frequent light meals help as you've always got something in your stomach.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    for me it was eating nuts and drinking lots of water - that got me through.:smile:

This works for me too. And I have healthy snacks throughout the day.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Liz, I live out in Cali.....

I am so new at this and already having a hard time.
    I know that I am not hungry because I ate but how do you stop the mental part.
    What has worked for you guys?

I need friends!!

I'm in cali too. This is a hard journey. A lot of it is mental. For me it was riding one victory to the next, keeping it on the forefront of my mind along with my end goal, keeping my EYE ON THE PRIZE AT ALL TIME. I posted up pictures, statues, clothing, all over the house and in my car. Pushing out all negative thoughts and keeping my mind on the progress I've made and the progress I wanted. Single minded focus and push all else out of my way, KNOWING WHAT I WANT, KNOWING I AM GOING TO GET IT. It worked. I've spent 15 years failing and it's hard for an aging woman like myself, but if I can do this at age 50 and above, ANYONE CAN!

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the first 30-60 days are going to be toughest because you're setting up new habits.

just stick with it and eventually you'll find that making the right choices become easier. just remember that this is going to be most effective if you look at it as a lifestyle change
  • soulundefined
    Options
    I am on a doctor followed diet with very little carbs. I eat 3 times a day with 5 hours inbetween each meal. I have found with this if i cheat on it and have a nibble on bread my hunger is thru the roof the next day. My thing that pushes me thru to the next meal is lots of water... nice veggies and a fruit i know i will enjoy. keep changing it up it will get easier :) and hey... welcome this is your journey and you will find little things to help you out! mine is little rewards for the little goals :)
  • cory7007
    Options
    I have 50 pounds to lose and I typically lose 5 pounds and throw in the towel because it seems like so much work for so little reward.
    I'm going to do my best to stay on track and stick with it this time.
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm a veteran but just now getting back into it... feel free to add me or anyone else on this thread can as well
  • FixItDuck
    FixItDuck Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Drink water, lots of it! OK that's partly a reminder for me too ;) I eat when I am bored, so finding something to do (cleaning, exercise, gardening...anything!) helps.

You can do it!
  • Lantzbug
    Options
    I have a job where I sit for 8-12 hours, very little getting up, so all I think about is eating. I have found that keeping almonds, grapes or carrot chip/slices in a ziploc near me so I can eat a few here and there works out really well. Pistachios are a great snack as well and has healthy fats in them.
    I'm new too, friend me if you'd like.
  • wendiewildthing
    wendiewildthing Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    8 glasses of water a day 20 min walk or workout a day and eat fruit or cereal for breakfast thats starts the day off right so your not hungry and over eat the rest of the day and watch how much sugar you put in your body theres good sugar and bad sugar the bad is added to things the healthy is already in fresh fruit u eat believe me you will see a difference and juicing really works