Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Too much areobics/cardio, and not enough strength training?

So, i have not plateaued out yet, actually i just broke through a plateau... Im also rly fat, but, Im exercising a lot,doing a dancing game, averaging 500 - 1000 cals a day & eating very very well, usually maxing out with a net ~1200.

I notice that the game is getting easier and easier, and i can do it for longer and longer periods... I can still push myself into muchly elevated heart rate and sweatiness.... will i be alright? or should i start doing weights too? I rly dont want to, honestly.... but I want to plateau even less. :-/ just trying to think ahead...

Is weight training really that important? Since I'm so heavy, shouldn't the cardio I'm doing be more than enough, for quite some time yet? long as i am elevated and pushing? bc I definately am.... \

Thanks in advance for all your opinions, if anyone answers me. <3

Replies

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    It depends on whether you just want to look good in your clothes or you want to look good out of them too.
  • It depends on whether you just want to look good in your clothes or you want to look good out of them too.

Im assuming what you were getting at, was that weight training is good for toning, yes?

Honestly, im fine with myself now, however, my entire journey is motivated by the fact that in spite of that, i know it isnt healthy. How i look naked or clothed doesnt mean anything. Knowing i am doing the most i can to get healthy is my entire point....

So, that being said, which is the best way, to burn the most fat? Consistently?
  • ar1ms
    ar1ms Posts: 98 Member
    Just lose the weight you wanna lose and then tone up after with weight training and some cardio. Although you might lose some muscle because of all the cardio. But if your happy with cardio, stick with that for now. See how it works for you.
  • IMO, you should probably work some resistance training into your regimen. It doesn't need to be heavy weights (though that isn't a bad idea). A class focusing on core strength, body sculpting, pilates, and yoga might also do the trick.
  • meglash
    meglash Posts: 22
    Remember also that strength training decreases your chances of injury with exercising, as well as lowering your risks for a lot of things, including diabetes, osteoporosis, heart disease, etc. It also does help you lose weight because muscle burns more calories than fat. The strength training exercises themselves don't burn as many calories as cardio, but the muscle you build increases calories burned, even when at a resting heart rate. To be most effective, it's great to do a combination of both. Does that make sense?
  • Ar1ms - Cardio (Dance Dance Revolution, up to 1000 cals sometimes a day, usually more like 500) Seems to be working very very very very well for me right now. But ppl are starting to tell me im going to stop losing bc im not doing weight training. I suppose ill have to wait and see. :-) So far though, so hella good....

Martin - In the event that i did stop losing, and did find that i needed some type of weight training: Would making my beginner hatha yoga video (12 poses, 6breaths each, 1 hr, 300/350 cals) that i only do when im sore, into an everyday thing, be enough, or at least, a good place to start?

Thanks muchly to both of you.
  • destanicheri
    destanicheri Posts: 297 Member
    I started out with just cardio, I now do both cardio and strength training/ using weights, The cardio burns a lot of calories and adding weights keeps it burning even after you're done with the workout. Good luck!
  • The cardio routine is getting easier because you are building stamina. That's a good thing. When I first started getting in shape, my trainer sat me down and explained how everything works together. Nutrition regulates our calorie intake. Cardio burns calories. Strength training converts fat into muscle.

Remember, a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle, but a pound of muscle take less space than a pound of fat. Therefore, more muscle, less fat means same weight less you.

Good luck and keep at it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Exercise with your heart rate around 100-120 or so for maximum utilisation of fat for fuel.

That and eating at a deficit so your normal living burns fat too.
  • That's what I like about Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. Its cardio with resistance training combined. Also, as you progress, you can increase the amount of weight. It might be a good way to start incorporating some weights into your workout.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Exercise with your heart rate around 100-120 or so for maximum utilisation of fat for fuel.

That and eating at a deficit so your normal living burns fat too.

With all due respect the "fat burning zone" is not the way to lose weight - yes you burn a higher proportion of calories from fat but you burn far fewer calories overall and do not obtain the same cardiovascular benefits that higher intensity exercise offers.

http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/The-Truth-About-The-Fat-Burning-Zone.htm

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/The-Myth-of-the-Fat-burning-Zone.htm

http://www.canada.com/topics/bodyandhealth/story.html?id=1740622b-d130-486c-a4d3-f05d14878ff9

If you're an endurance athlete you want to train your body to burn fat but pretty much everybody elese should forget the term even exists.

To the OP, yes - add strength to your routine, it complements the cardio you're doing.
  • Ar1ms - Cardio (Dance Dance Revolution, up to 1000 cals sometimes a day, usually more like 500) Seems to be working very very very very well for me right now. But ppl are starting to tell me im going to stop losing bc im not doing weight training. I suppose ill have to wait and see. :-) So far though, so hella good....

Martin - In the event that i did stop losing, and did find that i needed some type of weight training: Would making my beginner hatha yoga video (12 poses, 6breaths each, 1 hr, 300/350 cals) that i only do when im sore, into an everyday thing, be enough, or at least, a good place to start?

Thanks muchly to both of you.

Dont know, haven't seen it. I know that as you advance in yoga, the movements require more strength and flexibility. Just don't know if a video would cut it. Go to a yoga studio and try a class out. As I said earlier, a sculpting class focusing on core strength would be good, as would Pilates.