Why do I weigh less when I'm over my calories? Confused

Options
I know you're not supposed to weigh yourself daily, but I really can't seem to stop myself. I think I've become a bit obsessed. :ohwell:

Anyway, I've been noticing that I actually weigh more after the days that I've been right on or under my calorie goal compared to weighing less on days when I'm over my calories (by anything between 100 - 600 extra calories).
I have my activity level set to sedentary because I'm a nursing student and except for the time when I intentionally do some kind of exercise I really mostly just sit around.
But I'm wondering if my metabolism really is higher than MFP says it is? Should I start letting myself eat a bit more or stick with my daily 1290? 1290 helped me lose 13 pounds so far. But before that I was REALLY sedentary, so maybe that did raise my metabolism? But on The Biggest Loser they're on 1200 calorie diets and it continues to work for them... I'm So very confused. :frown:

Replies

• ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    lucky!!

I have the opposite problme, gaining when im under! boooooo
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    From what I read, on the Biggest Loser, they lose it very unhealthily. Sounds like your number is set too low and you may need to eat more. Are you getting any exercise? If so, need to eat back those calories at least. Since you are losing when you are over, why not adjust your calories to about 1400 or even a little more for a week or so and see if the losing continues. If so, you might even decide to add another 100 calories or so until it levels off to see how much you can eat and still lose.
  • Booobarella
    Options
    I mix my calorie intake up. It's never a set number for the whole week. I read once on a bodybuilding forum that they do this to lose weight. So one day I will eat 1200, the next day I will eat 1500, the following day 1300 etc. It tricks the metabolism out of getting used to a set amount of calories, and keeps it working hard.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Since you are young, and don't have much to lose, you probably should be eating more than 1290. Try this calculator and see what it says for your TDEE. That would be the number of calories you need to maintain your current weight. Sot subtract about 15% or even 10% from that and try eating that many calories.

EDIT: Forgot to put the link.:laugh:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • Sojaided34
    Options
    The Biggest Loser is not and should not be used as a guide line. Yes it's real people losing weight. But they work out sometimes 4 hours a day. And you have to remember that these are extremely overweight people going from couch potatoes to working out for a long time. They are pretty much being starved to lose weight. I would recalculate with TDEE as most are saying.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Your sodium is all over the place-- are you sure you're getting an accurate weight reading? Try to keep your sodium down and your water up for a few days and see if that evens things out. I know I tend to retain water, so I can have fluctuations of 3-4 pounds.