Need help!! I'm stuck!!

Options
I am getting frustrated! It has been 4 weeks and I have flucuated between 253 and 258. I exercise almost every day and I eat fairly healthy. I have opened my diary.....any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

PS: I have only lost 2 3/4 inches in this 4 weeks so it's not that I'm losing inches :sad:

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am getting frustrated! It has been 4 weeks and I have flucuated between 253 and 258. I exercise almost every day and I eat fairly healthy. I have opened my diary.....any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

PS: I have only lost 2 3/4 inches in this 4 weeks so it's not that I'm losing inches :sad:

What type of exercise are you doing? You may need to eat more. I am 5'11, 192 and 30 yr old, I exercise 6 days a week and eat 2600-2800 calories a day for weight loss. Also, your carbs are pretty high. Why don't you adjust the macro's to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. High protein diets are much better for weight loss.

Also, track fiber and sodium instead of sugar.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I disagree, I think you need to eat less and stick to 2000 cal a day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well then, lets put this in perspective. I don't know the OP's height but based on the picture, I would have him around 5'10. He is 42 years old and weighs about 255. That means, his estimated BMR (based on the Harris Benedict formula) is around 2236. BMR is basal metabolic rate, aka the amount of calories you would burn if you slept 24 hours. Now, lets say he has a desk job. He already stated he works out almost every day, and lets assume he burns 400 calories a day (depending on what he does, it could be light or high, but I burn around 400 on weight training days and 650 on HIIT days) and I am 60 lbs lighter. With that said, below is what his estimate TDEE could look like.

TDEE = 2236 * 1.2 + 400 = 3083.

From your TDEE, you can create a deficit. A 20% deficit is generally a good idea. It's a bit more adaptive to the person as well and ensures your body gets adequate fuel to burn fat and not muscle.

Caloric Requirements = 3083 * .8 = 2466

Now, this would still give him a little over 1 lb per week weight loss, combined with upping his protein and he will help preserve his lean body mass and mostly lose fat. When you start to create 1000 + calorie deficits, you increase the hormonal response to hold onto body fat, causing your body to catabolize lean body mass (aka converting the amino acids in your muscles into energy) and your metabolism will adapt by slowing down. So now only will you burn less calories doing nothing, you will also burn less calories working out as your body doesn't want to lose all it's fuel.

Now, it's common to lose some lean body mass during weight loss... it's almost inevitable. This is why it's highly suggested to do heavy weight training and have adequate protein. Both will help maintain/reduce catabolization. Essentially more muscle = faster metabolism, tighter body, better support for your body, better insulin resistance, better immune system, etc...

So can he cut calories more... sure, but it may adversely affect his results. And since 2000 calories hasn't work for a month now, why not try to eat more for a month or two to see if it helps.

Now there are a few situations where eating more will hurt... one, if he eats more junk food. Eliminating fast food from the diet (as demonstrated in the diary) and eating whole foods will make weight loss easier. Whole foods provide more nutrition than fake processed food. Adding more veggies can significantly help weight loss as it has fiber. The more fiber the better since the body can not process fiber, but it tries hard to do so. Another situation that would worsen the case is if there is a metabolic issue such as hypothyroidism. But otherwise, most people benefit from it.

I can tell you when I was eating 1800 calories, I couldn't lose anything; weight inches or body fat. As soon as I bumped it up to 2600, I have lost 6% body fat, 10"+ and 16 lbs (although my tracker doesn't say that as I did a bulk phase and now in a cut again).
  • IndyMario
    IndyMario Posts: 236
    Options

What type of exercise are you doing? You may need to eat more. I am 5'11, 192 and 30 yr old, I exercise 6 days a week and eat 2600-2800 calories a day for weight loss. Also, your carbs are pretty high. Why don't you adjust the macro's to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. High protein diets are much better for weight loss.

Also, track fiber and sodium instead of sugar.

269428_448650278534383_1044675259_n.jpg
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I don't think you will want my "help" but if I were to eat what you are eating, and I don't mean the amount, I would be back to gaining weight and being extremely sick. You might find the differences in our macro ratios interesting. Have a look if you like.

FYI: I made my dietary changes for my health, but the weight loss is a welcome side effect. 23 pounds in 11 weeks.
  • jasonclev
    jasonclev Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Well then, lets put this in perspective. I don't know the OP's height but based on the picture, I would have him around 5'10. He is 42 years old and weighs about 255. That means, his estimated BMR (based on the Harris Benedict formula) is around 2236. BMR is basal metabolic rate, aka the amount of calories you would burn if you slept 24 hours. Now, lets say he has a desk job. He already stated he works out almost every day, and lets assume he burns 400 calories a day (depending on what he does, it could be light or high, but I burn around 400 on weight training days and 650 on HIIT days) and I am 60 lbs lighter. With that said, below is what his estimate TDEE could look like.

TDEE = 2236 * 1.2 + 400 = 3083.

From your TDEE, you can create a deficit. A 20% deficit is generally a good idea. It's a bit more adaptive to the person as well and ensures your body gets adequate fuel to burn fat and not muscle.

Caloric Requirements = 3083 * .8 = 2466

Now, this would still give him a little over 1 lb per week weight loss, combined with upping his protein and he will help preserve his lean body mass and mostly lose fat. When you start to create 1000 + calorie deficits, you increase the hormonal response to hold onto body fat, causing your body to catabolize lean body mass (aka converting the amino acids in your muscles into energy) and your metabolism will adapt by slowing down. So now only will you burn less calories doing nothing, you will also burn less calories working out as your body doesn't want to lose all it's fuel.

Now, it's common to lose some lean body mass during weight loss... it's almost inevitable. This is why it's highly suggested to do heavy weight training and have adequate protein. Both will help maintain/reduce catabolization. Essentially more muscle = faster metabolism, tighter body, better support for your body, better insulin resistance, better immune system, etc...

So can he cut calories more... sure, but it may adversely affect his results. And since 2000 calories hasn't work for a month now, why not try to eat more for a month or two to see if it helps.

Now there are a few situations where eating more will hurt... one, if he eats more junk food. Eliminating fast food from the diet (as demonstrated in the diary) and eating whole foods will make weight loss easier. Whole foods provide more nutrition than fake processed food. Adding more veggies can significantly help weight loss as it has fiber. The more fiber the better since the body can not process fiber, but it tries hard to do so. Another situation that would worsen the case is if there is a metabolic issue such as hypothyroidism. But otherwise, most people benefit from it.

I can tell you when I was eating 1800 calories, I couldn't lose anything; weight inches or body fat. As soon as I bumped it up to 2600, I have lost 6% body fat, 10"+ and 16 lbs (although my tracker doesn't say that as I did a bulk phase and now in a cut again).

Thank you for this info!! I am 6'2. I have figured my BMR is 2315 and my TDEE is 2778. I went ahead and just adjusted my macros. This week I have really slacked off just because of the frustration. I a, going to make these adjustments and see what happens.

Thank you all for your suggestions!! I am looking forward to posting again with my GOOD results!!